Have any of you guys seen 4 lane roads.....

DammitJanet

that are supposed to go in both directions east and west only go west at one time? You are fixing to if you are in the evacuation areas...lol.

If this is something that doesnt normally happen in your areas, this will be quite an amazing sight. I know it was to me the first time I saw one of our major roads having traffic heading out of Myrtle Beach and the coast of NC in 4 lanes heading west on roads that are supposed to go both directions...lol.

Oh...and we have trees down about 30 miles south of me.

TerryJ2

Really? This is the first report I've gotten about trees down. So sorry to hear that.
I visited my cousin, and it usually takes 15 min. to get there. I went one mile in 45 min. Arrrgh. Bumper-to-bumper traffic all headed west.
Now coming home, toward the hurricane, was a breeze. :)
I'm thinking you're going to get hit a bit worse than we are ... we'll get lots of rain but then Irene will head north.
We'll see.
Stay safe!

DDD

I've seen it on television quite a few times, Janet. Fortunately I have never seen it in person. They did it when Andrew hit South Fl and they did it before Katrina. I found myself feeling panicy watching it. I am claustrophobic and the idea of being stuck in miles of back to back traffic trying to evacuate a storm? Geez. I had nightmares. DDD

klmno

I was going to ask Terry if she shouldn't be evacuating!

I sure wish they had decided to make both sides of the interstate only head west in this state. It took me 4 hours to get 110 miles. After spending 1 1/2 hours getting 35 miles, I almost gave up. I would have except the hotel room was nonrefundable.

DammitJanet

I am on the outer bands. Winds only up to 50 mph gusts at the worst. NYC is where Im terrified for. The mayor has tried to get people out but he made one huge mistake. He has told people who dont leave that they can stay in the high rises even at the tops. That is awful advice. Even the guy from NOAH and FEMA were aghast. Winds are going to get worse going down the streets and the higher the buildings, the worse the winds. Plus if something flies off another building its a missile. I hope they change that advice and tell them to get to lower floors.

I tried to get a video of the clouds here but it didnt come out well. They were so awesome! You could literally see them banding and circling.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
That mayor sounds like an idjit. Really.

I got called back into work - y'all know I work on a military base - I've never seen so much activity in my life. Amazing.

The winds in those high rise's are going to be scary.....the people don't know, never having been in this situation..I think.

tiredmommy

The national guard is getting in there now to assist with clean up. The Buffalo airport is preparing to take additional aircraft from the east coast.

DammitJanet

Step you are probably gonna get flooded with all the planes from bases here on the east coast. I know of at least 4 bases locally that dispersed planes today or yesterday.

keista

Janet, the NYC mandate was also to evacuate by 5 pm today but the buses and trains were shut down at noon.

Sis was also under the misconception that the buildings shield each other from wind and flying debris until I reminded her that even on normal days, you can walk past an alley and almost be blown over. The streets and alleys tend to channel the wind and make it worse in places. Once she processed that, she decided to go up to our Dad's place and take his window unit out of the window. (Dad's out of the country).