Have to postpone IEP meeting

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
School starts in a few days. One of the advocates is not able to attend (out of her control). But we made a game plan yesterday.

They want an FBA done. A real FBA by a group outside of the school that is known to do very well. The advocates suggested Wee not even start school til the group was in place to observe.

So, do I ask to reschedule and tell school he won't be starting til we have this meeting? Or do I just ask to reschedule and let him start on day1. It usually takes a while for him to flip out, anyway.

whatamess

I guess it depends how much time in between school starting and the time the team/observers can get together. I always wanted my difficult child to start the first day.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
No, that advocates are specialized in different areas. The advocate that is ill is the one that deals with Learning Disability (LD)'s and AT, which is a huge piece of what this meeting is going to be about.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Blech- we had to start without a scheduled meeting yet. Usually K does so well in the beginning but yesterday she fell apart and I had here in a blacked out room with a wet washcloth over her eyes. She was also supposed to write a few words on a book she read over the summer and this sent her into a full blown manic/depression/anxiety episode... who knows?
I still am kind of glad she went today, I think!!!
She was like a zombie... but they get the real deal I guess.
I am able now to demand the meeting ASAP. I hope.
I guess I understand, they all are so busy in the first few weeks and things come up, but Wee needs things taken are of right away. It is such a 50/50 call. What does he want to do?
Do you know anything about his new teacher?

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
He wants to go to school, he wants to be a normal kid, he wants to not be bad, etc and he'll work his tail off to try to make it happen.

NO ONE will be the same from last year. I just saw that the Occupational Therapist (OT) is even gone now. They laid off the para that was ever-present in the SpEd room last year, the SpEd teacher quit, the Occupational Therapist (OT) is gone. They school's "plan" is that they are going to throw him back into the mainstream room with occassional pullout, and he'll have whatever para is available, not a dedicated one, and not a trained one. (he ended last year self-contained in the resource room ALL day...so this change is huge.)

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Last year hoovered to say the least. I just don't know what is fair for him? I don't think him starting with a bunch of (blankety-blankeys) is fair. Yet the poor kid just wants to feel like everyone else for a moment. The School is failing him in my opinion.
Is there even a chance of him starting off on a good note without the meeting? If not I may lean towards not starting him and you should just be blunt about it.

I hate this crud- this is when I say to myself what is the point of FAPE and IDEA etc...????? It's all just words not actual actions for so many kids.

whatamess

What if you shadowed him the first few days of school. Wee would be supported and you could really get to know the new staff who will be working with him.

jannie

trying to survive....
When was his last annual reivew? An IEP lasts for an entire year. Unless his IEP ended in June (which would make it out of compliace) his current IEP should be in place. This is the one from last school year and as a result the school must provide him with the same levels of support they provided last year. Please check your IEP and see how long it runs...They should not be able to change the plan just because he is in a new school year?

Jena

hey,

You both went thru so much last year. It is a huge change. what did you decide to do?? maybe a staff change will be good if i remember last year correctly?? they should of given you a salary last year for the amt of times you were up there!! :)

hang in there, beginning of school is soo hard. i'm not looking forward to our start at all!! difficult child's been up since june till 4 a.m. each night anxiety over middle school in sept

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Jannie, we have to many dang IEP meetings that the date for the annual review just keeps rolling forward. I bet we've never gone more than 3 months without a meeting since he started school here. He's been at this school since Janiary 2009 and his sped file is almost 6" thick and there's no prgress reports or work samples in it...its all revised IEPs.

I might have some hope for the staff change if this principal went by the way of Pretty Boy. This one's just as bad, as is the only person left that "knew" difficult child. And she said within 15 minutes of finding out he was coming to her building that she didn't want him. So this is the person introducing th new staff to Wee.

And I asked a former teacher about the new SpEd. The teacher has never been negative towards anyone. Might be neutral, but never negative. Wow. She called this sped lazy and worthless.