Have you ever accidentally referred to your kid as "difficult child"

cubsgirl

I just wonder if anyone else does this. On a couple of occasions I have referred to my son as difficult child instead of his actual name. The first time was to my father over the phone. He said "Who is difficult child"...I explained it to him.

A couple of other times I've called him difficult child including at the grocery store - oops.

I'm curious if anyone else has caught themselves calling their difficult child's and easy child's by those initials.

slsh

member since 1999
Oh, definitely. "difficult child" is part of our vocabulary now - even difficult child uses it. ;) We also use "easy child", but a bit more tongue in cheek, LOL.

susiestar

Roll With It
I have done it occasionally with difficult child but never with easy child. not sure why, just haven't with easy child. I tried very very hard to never refer to Wiz as difficult child esp if I thought he could figure out what it meant. He already felt very entitled, superior to everyone, that all females were demons or that his sister, female teachers who expected him to work and I were demons, etc...

NO WAY would he have understood the reasoning behind "difficult child" - he would have used it to furthe justify his entitlement and his rights to abuse the rest of the family (except pets) and anyone else who bugged him.

I do admit that it is not the case right now and is not a typical reaction to finding out this kind of information.

P

PatriotsGirl

All the time! When my husband first heard me saying it and asked me about it, I told him and he busted out laughing. Now we both use it.

cubsgirl

easy child means "perfect child". We all know that no one is perfect but these are the easier to parent children - they don't have the same level of problems/trouble, etc as a difficult child.

My easy child is keeping me on my toes lately.

4timmy

Also, if you hover your mouse over some of the acronyms in the post, what it means will display in a little hint message. In an effort to keep posts anonymous, we don't use real names.

DammitJanet

After being here so long, I constantly use the acronyms in my regular language. I have to practically carry a business card to give to people I will be speaking to for any length of time...lol. My old therapist liked the term so much she started using it in her practice...lol. I just started with a new therapist and had to explain all the acronyms to him too. difficult child, easy child's husband/SO, diagnosis's...psychiatrist, therapist. He just had to catch on.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
What's funny is when you start talking about something "hoovering" or how something is "koi"... Yeah. I totally lost husband the day I was discussing psychiatrists, Residential Treatment Center (RTC) and difficult child with my Mom... He is a Marine, so he knows "all about" acronyms... TEE HEE!!!

H

HaoZi

If I say "koi" in front of the kid, she will remind me that the goldfish died.

H

HaoZi

Something along the same lines, I just glanced at my FB and saw something called Monster Story, but the "o" in Monster was an egg, and at first I read it as "Manster Story".