Have you ever put down peel and stick vinyl floor tiles yourself?

ctmom05

We had an appraiser at our house this week. Our major project is replacing the furnace and the appraiser is just one step in the refinancing process.

You should have seen the little beads of sweat popping out on my forehead as he made his way around the house, inside and outside.

Fortunately the appraiser only noted a few things that need attention. He actually gave me practical hints on how to remedy a couple of issues with minimal expenditure.

One of the areas of concern is the kitchen floor. Some of the vinyl floor tiles came up over time and were never replaced, so the bare floor is showing.

The lender's requirement is that this floor must be fully covered with something that is water resistant. He said that I could put down any vinyl floor tiles that I wanted, even if they didn't match and seek a permanent remedy at a later date.

For those of you who are in the other camp - the fix-it-yourselfers; would you say that replacing several self-stick vinyl floor tiles is a fairly simple project?

Star*

call 911........call 911
I have done brick and tile, VCT, and peel and stick - for years. Even had our own business at one time. Mostly bathrooms and kitchens.

Here's the thing about replacing the ones that are not there -

Even if they are not the same size - you can trim them with heavy duty shears. (do not use loppers -lol) tempting I know.

Clean the spots to be replaced with some degreaser - scrub, rinse, repeat. the secret to getting ANY peel and stick tile to STICK? Preparation.

You may be tempted to put something like liquid nails down if they don't stick - and could, but remember whatever you put down today will have to come up later.

The biggest problem I see you facing is the thickness of the tiles - they are NOT all the same which even a 1/16th of an inch in a socked foot causes a trip hazard.

The cheapest place to find any peel and stick? Either check Freecyclein your area and ask for ANY someone may have OR....Craigslist.org Under Wanted or check Free. other than that? Big Lots or Odd Lots and the Family Dollar (red signs) have a box for $10.00 even some dollar trees have them.

As far as the floor cleaner? I'd use either Mean Green or Formula 409. Rinse, rinse, rinse....dry DRY DRY......then peel, and press.....then stay off those spots for a day or two - BUT you can put some blocks or heavy books on them to help the glue stick.

Hope this helps.....OH and if you have to take up some, to replace the ones around it? Lowes sells a tool - looks like a GIGANTIC scraper on a handle - and that is what you could use. They're about $20.00. If you are trying to "stretch" the use of that floor? You could take out about 4 tiles here and there - and make it look like you DID replace those on purpose and have them match. Instead of an all white floor with a wood looking square.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
If you have a clean/clear surface to attach them to, its a piece of cake. The problem comes if you have a pattern or you don't get them started at the right angle. If you don't care what they look like you can probably pick up some cheap tiles on sale......maybe if you are up to it a checked pattern with tiles of different color in different spots. If you have to tear up something that is pretty securely glued to floor don't mess with it. Think I would just stick tiles down and look for rugs if the pattern bothers you. Good luck!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Screaming like Sgt. Grit (the mouthy Marine)

YOU GET IN THAT KITCHEN AND GET THE FLOOR DONE! DO YOU HEAR ME???

I CAN'T HEAR YOU????

Ma'Am YES MAAm......

:surprise:

OOOOOOOHHHHH RAH

trinityroyal

Chris, you can do it!

Star and WMM give excellent advice on how to lay the tile. Especially follow Star's advice about prep and cleaning.

When my ex-H and I split up and I bought out his 1/2 of our then-house, my dishwasher flooded out and ruined the kitchen floor. With great trepidation, I peeled up the old tile, scrubbed and sanded the sub-floor and put down new peel and stick. Looked fabulous, and was pretty easy to do.

Next thing you know, I had pretty-much gutted the whole house, and I did a lot of the reno myself, including laying 2 bathroom floors and refacing all the kitchen cabinets.

Home repair stuff is MUCH easier than it used to be and they have lots of girl-friendly products out there.

You CAN do it. I'm glad this is making you feel empowered.

Trinity

susiestar

Roll With It
Follow Star's directions. I know that I once used alcohol after the scrub and rinse, rinse, rinse step. Just poured it onto a paper towel and rubbed the floor with regular rubbing alcohol. It evaporates very quickly and makes sure the surface is clean and dry. A friend who works at Armstrong flooring said that is one of their "secret" industry tips. (We have an Armstrong flooring plant in our area)

It is EASY and completely DOABLE.

Enjoy it!