Have You Read These Books? What Are You Reading?

DDD

I read In An Instant yesterday & today. Yikes! Not a good choice for reading at the store. Tears spontaneously were sliding down my face as I relived the trauma of easy child/difficult child. Actually,
I think that Lee's ultimate "overwhelm" probably is similar to
how I've been lately. You can only go so long in crisis mode
and then it gets to you.

I think their book will expose millions to the world of Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)'s
and with some education perhaps there will be more happy outcomes
than in the past. DDD

I'm starting My Sisters Keeper tonight.

Fran

Former desparate mom
<span style='font-size: 11pt'>I have been playing a book on CD. It's about Madea. The title is Don't Make A Black Woman Remove Her Earrings. It's really funny but it's also some down home wisdom. It's good entertainment for long distance driving. </span>

Fran

Former desparate mom
<span style='font-size: 11pt'>kris, I love the NJ connection and the small town ethnic hard working community. I love the antics of grandma Mazur. Ranger is so hot!!! LOL. I already ordered no. 13. I can barely wait until June.

I picked up Body Surfing by Anita Shreve today at Costco. I liked The Pilot's Wife so I'm hoping this will be good too. </span>

ScentofCedar

Heh.

I have been reading the strangest things down here! I don't know why that happened, but I haven't been reading much fiction lately at all. Before I go into what I HAVE been reading, I wanted to say that Clavell is a wonderful writer, and if any of us have not read him yet, do so.

Anyway, I have read:

The Artist's Way at Work and The Artist's Way ~ Excellent

The Closing of the American Mind by Alan Bloom ~ Fascinating

A World Lit Only by Fire ~ Manchester ~ Also fascinating. Did you know Martin Luther believed himself to be meeting, and vanquishing, the devil while in the bathroom?

I am going to be reading The Poisonwood Bible again pretty soon here (I think that was Kingsolver's best).

I have been looking for a copy of Goodnight, Moon. (I know! I just really want to have that book again! :))

I got a book on Art History and one on the history of Europe that I am going to be starting soon.

And then, you know what? I am reading Shakespeare. All of it.
Just so I know what it says.

And I have developed a fascination for Leonardo Da Vinci. Not the book by Dan Brown, but the person.

And the Renaissance.

So, it has been quite a year, bookwise, at my house!

Barbara

DDD

I love Goodnight Moon, too. It should be easy to find as it comes in paperback, fabric back and hardback. DDD

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I am reading:

"The God Delusion" By Richard Dawkins

Next:
"God Laughs and Plays" By David James Duncan

Then:

"Kingdom Coming: The Rise of Christian Nationalism" By Michelle Goldberg

Umm I am seeing a trend...

And anything by David Sedaris, John Irving... many others

I am going to check out a bunch of the ones you all have listed.

mstang67chic

Going Green
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: timer lady</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've been reading the Undead series by Mary Janice Davidson - a local author here.

</div></div>

You live near MJ???!!!!! I'm jealous!!!!! She actually has her own group on Yahoo if you weren't aware. And her books are absolutely hysterical! Have you read any of her other series? She has the Alaskan Royals, Fred the Mermaid series, a werewolf series and a young adult series that she writes with her husband. Aside from the Undead series, my favorites are the Royal series and the YA series. (Oh, and there is also her cyborg series) MJ's books are a great read........there <u>is</u> sex and language but they are very funny!

If you like her books, you should also try Michele Bardsley. The first one in her series is "I'm the Vampire That's Why". The second in the series is due out in July. (She also has a Yahoo group)

For non-paranormal reads......some of what I've read lately are: The Temperance Brennan series by Kathy Reichs (The show Bones is based on these books although the only commonality are the main character's name and profession), JD Robb's In Death series, Janet Evanovich.......I love Bob!. Some other authors that are worth a look are Dana Stabenow, PJ Tracy, Jeffrey Deaver, Charlaine Harris (multiple series), Carol O'Connel.........having a brain cramp now. When I think of more, I'll post. (can you tell I'm a voracious reader??? :crazy: )

Sue C

I rarely read fiction. Right now I'm reading all of the following books:

Naomi's Guide to Aging Gratefully by Naomi Judd (LOVE it so far!)

Stop Walking on Eggshells (taking your life back when someone you care about has borderline personality disorder) by Paul Mason & Randi Kreger (good book)

I Hate You - Don't Leave Me (understanding borderline personality) by Jerold Kreisman & Hal Straus (just started this)

Drug Therapy & Personality Disorders by Shirley Brinkerhoff

I've also been reading lots of books on marketing for promoting husband's website/business. I've also been browsing through cookbooks, including cookbooks for kids (looking for recipes I can make). LOL

Sue

Marguerite

And now for something completely different - our family's favourite author, Terry Pratchett. It's fantasy satire and very brain-stretching although it doesn't feel it at the time. If one joke sails past you, the next one round the corner will attack you with a fit of giggles. A strong English flavour, n a down to earth way.

I wrote a review of his work a few years ago and updated for republication six months ago. Here is a copy of what I wrote:

Discworld Review

Are you feeling jaded, lacking enthusiasm for the usual printed matter, fed up with gossip magazines and looking for something fun and stimulating?
Read Terry Pratchett’s Discworld series. There is a rapidly increasing list of books in the almost unique genre of fantasy satire. This has something for everyone. Theatre, film, detective stories, politics, war, Shakespeare and vampires to name just a few possible topics - you can find a Discworld book to suit almost any literary taste.
For the Discworld is not just another fantasy - it is a genre all its own, a mind-expanding, ego-shrinking experience of culture, writing, history, the world’s best joke and your worst nightmare, all coated with satire at a sophisticated level. One reviewer described it as “Tolkien on acid.”
Nothing is sacred. Shakespeare, rock and roll, opera, mythology and political correctness - they all bite the bulldust.
A cartoon series was made of two of the books (Wyrd Sisters and Soul Music), but mistakenly aired during children’s prime viewing. This humour is adult. Not in any brown-paper-on-the-windows way, but you need eclectic tastes to enjoy the best of the humour. But kids do enjoy it, because they know that if they miss one joke, another one lurks just over the page.
One side effect of my children reading these books has been sudden bursts of laughter during a tender moment reading the classics. Yes, they finally got sufficiently educated to get the last joke!
What is Discworld? It is another universe entirely, with a world, the Discworld, carried on the back of four giant elephants which themselves stand on the back of Great A’Tuin, an enormous space-going turtle. The disc rotates, rimmed by a continuous waterfall as the sea falls off the edge. Of course, this requires magic and a universe created by someone with a perverse sense of humour.
There are gods, of course. They live on a centre spire of rock and ice called “Dunmanifestin”, and are perpetually engaged in an argument with the Ice Giants, who still refuse to return the lawnmower. But the main characters are far more complex and entertaining. From Granny Weatherwax, resident witch of the Ramtops, to Unseen University’s orangutan librarian (it’s dangerous working around magical books, stack them too close together and they build up a critical Black Mass) to the magician’s raven, unimaginatively named Quoth, you’ll never be bored on the Discworld. My son’s favourite is Last Continent, set on a land called XXXX which is “only vaguely Australian”. Readers of Scottish history will be especially amused by The Fifth Elephant. The most recent book is Thud, topically about the futility of inter-racial conflict.
The most frequently met character is Rincewind, unsuccessful at wizardry but very successful at surviving. He screams his way in panic through many of these novels, certain that somewhere there’s got to be a logical explanation for all this.
Death also makes an appearance. And his horse, Binky.
A subset within the Discworld books are written for children - The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents, and the Tiffany series with Wee Free Men, A Hat Full of Sky and Wintersmith. In these books Tiffany, a 12 year old girl, is helped by the Pict-sies, an irreverent, violent group of little creatures who were thrown out of Fairyland for being drunk and disorderly. Just think of a horde of miniature Billy Connollys. I heartily recommend these to any child (or adult) with an interest in the absurd. Harry Potter fans, especially, can now graduate to something more stimulating.
Terry Pratchett is a British author who says, “writing is the most fun anyone can have by themselves.”
I can only agree.

The Discworld series written by Terry Pratchett is available in most bookshops. The first book is called The Colour of Magic. If you look in libraries you may need to reserve them, they’re very popular.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I just read "Life Expectancy" (Tuesday night, in fact, all in one night - another thread later...) by Dean Koontz. EXCELLENT book. Fictional suspense type novel, but had a little lesson about life and family in it that, at best, gives you a little feel-good lift at the end.

DDD

I finished My Sister's Keeper and absolutely loved it! There
are so many aspects to the book that most of us can relate to
who have or are raising siblings. Thanks for the suggestion. DDD

F

flutterbee

I finished Running with Scissor in a day. It's a memoir. They made it into a movie, but I imagine they had to cut a lot out for the movie. It's definitely not for the faint of heart.

The review said it was hilarious and I didn't get that at all. I think I was too shocked to find a lot of it funny. I'm not easily shocked. But, I still thought it was a great book. Definite page turner. Amazing story. It's just so matter of fact and that's what I like about it. This is what happened and it just is the way it is.

I picked up "The Kindness of Strangers" to read next.