Have you read this.."Girl dies from Bi-polar medications"

JJJ

Dreamer I agree. The public story is likely a combination of attention seeking DAs and :censored2:-covering professionals. The parents are the weakest link and will be sacrificed to appease the public.

Did they intentionally overdose her? If yes, then throw the book at them. Did they accidently overdose her? If so, there needs to be intervention. Did they follow the doctor's orders and she died? If so, they deserve our sympathy. Which version is true??

dreamer

Thank you JJJ for saying so. Of course I do not know which version is the real truth, but I was quite saddened to think the parents may not be the malicious awful people so many wish to think they might be.(did I say that correctly?) How awful to lose your child.
I know a local lady here with a child who had serious profound congential abnormalies, severe disabilities----the childs expected lifespan was very short. the child passed away at age 15.the mother was begging for help here from the same help agencies I have dealt with- to little end result. When her child died, she was crucified in the media, arrested, trialed for ? criminal charges related to the childs death and sentenced. The help agencies let her down, she worked 3 jobs trying to support her children and herself and it just turned out with such awful outcome.

Hopefully something good will eventually come of this tragedy....no matter what the "real" story is. But I just find it sad how quickly some of us were able to jump to thinking bad things about these parents when so many of us could be in such similar shoes.

BusynMember

Sadly, a child needs parents who can "get it" or the kid is in deep trouble. These parents, IF and only IF reported accurately, sound unable to handle their own lives, let alone the lives of three children with big problems. I do question early diagnoses--questioned the professionals from Day One and consider myself aware and informed, yet I also allowed my son to be medicated when he didn't need to be (although I thought he did). We are taught to trust our doctors and, the scary part is, it is almost impossible to really tell ADHD from bipolar from Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) from high functioning autism in such a young child. I can't tell you how fast doctors, from pediatricians to psychiatrists and everything in between, wanted to throw my "Hyperactive" son on stimulants for ADHD, and we did it because we thought they were right, even if we saw "something more." They literally brainwashed me into thinking it couldn't be autism, it HAD to be ADHD. THen the next diagnsis was bipolar, and the medications he took were sooooooooooo strong and had so many side effects and when I tried to question the diagnosis, I got shouted down from all points. I don't know if these parents are just ignorant or if they're abusive--because I don't trust newspaper accounts. If this story is true, they were alarmingly abusive. But nobody bothered to step in and rescue this little girl and her siblings from inept parents either. Nobody cared enough. Why didn't the uncle call the paramedics when he saw the little girl so sick? Everyone involved with this child let her down. It's so sad.

JJJ

husband just got home and handed me the article, very worried about Tigger being on the same medications. I was able to reassure him by pointing out the Tig is on a lower dose than she was. And that she had many symptoms of going toxic prior to death and that Tigger doesn't have any and just had bloodwork done and a check-up with the pediatrician and one with the psychiatrist.

It is such a sad story.

Nancy

Well that's what our justice system is suppose to decide, whether the parents were negligent and/or directly contributed or caused her death. Hopefully they will do just that.

The parents should certainly have been alarmed at the way the daughter acted. You don't have to be wealthy or computer savy to know when your child is in danger. The fact that they were on welfare and did not question the doctor does not excuse them. Hopefully the truth will come out. It certainly is a heartbreaker. There are many many parents on welfare who raise their children just fine. Good common sense is not limited to the well off.

This case points out the difficulty with diagnosing disorders too early before it is known whether it really exists or there are some other factors present.

Nancy

BusynMember

If this account is the real deal, heck, I hope they throw the parents in jail for murder one. It won't happen, but I think it should.

Hanging-On

Hey everyone,,Dreamer,

I'm reading the posts while having my coffee, so I may still be a bit foggy...lol... :coffee:

I hear what you're saying Dreamer, and in fact it was kinda hard to read cuz I've been guilty too and it's hard to see yourself on print. The thing that keeps coming to mind is that the little girl couln't breath, to the point the uncle heard her and kicked the door down. I think if anyone of us here on the board had this level of health issue in our child we would be calling 911 ASAP. These people not only ignored her, but didn't they also give her more medications to make her sleep? THIS is what stuck out with me. Even people who are ignorant of medications should have seen that she was having major difficulties that night. I know that after reading this article it made me very scared of difficult child's medication dosages cuz he's on these two medications. But I saw that his are a very small dose compared to what the little girl died from.

I don't know what really happened in that house, but the fact that they ignored her that night and also medicated her again is what strikes me as being wrong and calous. My 2c.

TerryJ2

I agree with-Hanging on and Midwest Mom...
there were too many warning signs. Keeping the child quiet is not a good reason for medications. And they were clearly not able to handle their own lives and jobs (or lack thereof) much less handle a difficult/sick child.
The dr is also at fault, as we have all pointed out... we have all had to jump through hoops to get our medications, we've all had the dog eat them... but how many? If as you suggested, We/I go through my own records, there is no way the loss of pills in a lifetime could conceivably total those taken by that child in such a short period of time.
Yes, we should be compassionate. Yes, we should give advice on medications, and we do. But as the cliche' goes, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink. What IF that couple were on this bb? And what IF they still did what they did? This is still a tragedy.
My first reaction is anger. Compassion? Yes... but more for the child than the parents and doctor.
Yes, the media does mess up things, and quite often, deliberately, but even with-the sparse info we've been given in this case, it is clear that the parents and doctor did something wrong.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
We also commenting on a suposedly "accurate" story... whether this true or not will be revealed... these are the facts as reported. And it is a child we are reacting to, emotions that are honest, due to what we read. These are heart felt comments because we "deal" with these thing also.
Sorry if this has upset anyone.

dreamer

Hanging on, thank you for replying.
Yes, I am upset. No, parents do NOT always know when their child is in danger. MANY people trust a doctor, I can think of several people on this board who very recently have said their doctors or professionals had things under control when others on this board questioned things such as medications, medication combinations and doses. Timerlady, you say this often.... I can, off the top of my head, think of 2 people on this very board who had children with dangerous medication levels this very week, here on this board, and the parents did not realize it. Hangining On, On call.I think you have been in those scary shoes before. I can think of many people in the time I have been coming here who had children they thought were ill in another form and later found out it was related to the medications.

I can also think of so many instances where people here complained the school or the doctor had a different version of something than the parent or child had. How often are the school notes different than what your recollection was?

When I said check your records, I did not mean check to see if you lost pills etc. I meant comb thru them carefully and see if they accurately and honestly portray the things you said to doctor, the things the records say the doctor did or did not do, the way the docs portray YOU in the records. Sometimes (plese notice I did NOT say "always") Sometimes the docs notes etc come out sounding VERY different than your memory will describe something.
Janna, MidwestMom, you guys both KNOW this happens, you have both been there done that.

Many of you have had kids get worse before they get better. Many of you have complained to docs your kids seems worse....and many of you have had a doctor say by phone "up the dose" - and I bet very often your Rx bottle does not reflect the docs verbal, by phone, change in dose.

I cannot even begin to count how many here have said "our family deserves a better life" we deserve less chaos, my kid won't go to bed at nite. My difficult child is driving us nuts.

If you go to some websites they advocate early intervention. Many push to get young kids diagnosis'ed becuz they say treatment is more effective if begun sooner rather than later. I bet if I go to the early childhood forum, I will find some threads where that has been said.

How many of you out there HAVE a history of older sibs or parents or aunts/uncles of your difficult children with a diagnosis of BiPolar (BP)? and then your youngest child shows signs and you get upset if the doctor dismisses the idea or wants to wait and see?

I know this story is a lot of he said-she said. and of course who do you think is going to prevail? The parents on disability, low income----------I can tell you right now, there is a huge stigma against parents on disability. I am disabled as is my husband........and I face that daily. It does not matter my husband was at one time highly intelligent, a US Marine for 11 years and in Nam 9 of those years......and then a top notch systems analyst for several years in the 80s. It does not matter I have a Realtors license, cosmetologist license, and I am a nurse. Noone wants to understand how the combat and agent orange really affected my husband or how my illness ate my bones and connective tissue. All people see is we are on disability, we are scum. We are seen as lazy. Nevermind in my scooter I go and lobby at state and federal level for better laws etc for military veterans and mentally handicapped kids. People see us not working and they automatically jump to negative conclusions and opinions. Those parents have no credibility from the start. The doctor has credibility simply becuz he is a doctor. Well, as a nurse, I can tell you there are less than perfect docs. Docs DO make mistakes. I can also tell you charts are often erroneous, or not kept properly. ANd sometimes they are so far from the truth it is not funny.
The media is also not always telling the truth, sometimes they do not KNOW the truth. SOmetimes they know the truth but they have their own ideas how they want things to be portrayed. I know a reporter sought me out to do an article on disabled kids and school, and asked me questions. WHen the story hit the paper, the things they quoted me as saying were not at ALL what I said. My husband and I were on TV at a funeral for a KIA young man locally....they interviewed us on camera. Later when we watched the footage, they had dubbed in different questions and then showed our answers. They did NOT show the questions they REALLY asked us. It changed what the whole story was about.

I have been in court a LOT recently. My difficult child was a victim and also star witness and the case dragged out almost 2 years. Every month I had to show up with her. we sat in court and watched countless cases go before the judge. Then add in that me and husband were victims of extreme vandalism.and we sat in court once a month for that case for a year, and then my easy child was a victim and for many months we have been sitting in court for THAT case as well. I can tell you that what gets said in court does not always match up with what the "real" story is. Things get left out, twisted, get a spin put on them..........

Yes, I am upset. People here were very quick to hang these parents with just the story that was in the paper. I can easily bet many people here who come tell us events related to their families would sound quite different in the media.

I have no idea if these parents were malicious or not. I was not there. My heart is very heavy with extreme sorrow and sadness that this little girl died. Obviously "the system" failed her. Many many of you have been in THOSE shoes, I know you have, you have typed those very words.
Maybe the parents were malicious and monsters. Maybe they were not very smart or bright and needed more help. But it scared me to read how quick some here are to judge those parents. Yet I read you support each other here all the time thru all kinds of situations, many of them that sound very similar to what it sounds like that family went thru.

If that mom had come here and posted, I can picture her saying my 4 yr old will not go to bed at nite. SHe is loud and hyperactive, argumentative...........I can imagine her saying my child is on these medications.......and I can imagine people telling her call psychiatrist, and her coming back and saying psychiatrist said I could give 1/2 more tablet of clonidine at bedtime. I can imagine many here saying detach...........ignore her..........if it is bedtime, close the door or whatever.

A lot of you have been in the shoes of being judged and criticized, accused of medicating your child for your own convenience. You know how difficult it is to have a difficult child.

So, thats why I am upset. I really have no way of knowing if this mom and dad are monsters or not, but must we be so quick to judge, so quick to point our finger?
Sure some here say they had to fight to get the medications for their kids, I understand that, been there done that.my oldest difficult child was a difficult child back when my local psychiatrists steadfastly outright refused to diagnosis a child with BiPolar (BP). I also have my son who has NO symptoms of anything difficult child at all, yet...........becuz of his cp and seizures, our WRAP and SASS people tried to convince our psychiatrist he was a difficult child..........and I had to fight to keep him OFF difficult child medications.

It takes warrior moms to parent these kids. It takes a lot of help and support. It often calls for us parents to research and study and learn so much..........but you know? some people do not have the abilities. Maybe they cannot afford computers to go online. Maybe they do not have a family support network, maybe the proper services did not fall into place for them or for their child. Maybe those parents did not have the IQ or cognitive ability. Maybe they did not have the financial means. Maybe they did not have a social network.

Sure, maybe they ARE monsters, but- we cannot just jump to that conclusion with the info in the article posted in this thread.
It makes me sad and scared to see how quick some of you were to jump to conclusions and be the judge and jury for these parents. Seems to me but for the grace of god go any of us here.
Yes a tragedy has occured. Yes these medications need to be used with extreme caution, and yes, bad things CAN happen. Even when you are careful.

If these parents did wrong, and did wrong with malicious intent, yes, I hope they fry. BUT if this was an accident due to ignorance or poor record keeping or whatever else...........man, my heart breaks into zillions of peices for these parents and the other children.

Hug your child today. Learn about the medications, the diagnosis, etc. Help prevent this from happening again, maybe to you.
ANd remember, all human beings are simply human beings and none of us are perfect. Children aren't, parents aren't, docs aren't...............and the systems aren't perfect either.

TerryJ2

Another point of view from husband... he pointed out that it's possible they went to a free clinic (he volunteers at them) and said they could have gone to several doctors and there wasn't much of a paper trail. (This, in response to "how could any dr keep giving out the same scrip over and over in such a short period of time?")
Good point.
Still, heads will roll when this is all over.

lilac

Dreamer,

I've been coming to this board off and on since 2002; usually I just lurk. However, I would like to thank you for your compassionate analysis of this tragic situation--and your reminders that (1) what is presented by the media may be far removed from the "real" story and (2) parents here, perhaps more than anywhere else, should be willing to give other parents the benefit of the doubt...!

Best,
Lilac

Nancy

I consider myself very compassionate and I think most of us here give parents the benefit of the doubt but I also hope that we would question a parent who came to this board with the set of facts that have been presented here.

I too have been on this board for many years and I have seen us be concerned about a particular situation. I have never thought we were here to just carte blance support every situation. If this mother had come to our board and explained the situation and asked for support I would hope that we would suggest that perhaps the situation was serious and the child should be taken to ER. We have done that and I know we will continue to do that, and we have done it in far less serious circumstances.

In the end we draw conclusions based on the facts as they are presented to us. We evaluate the source and we decide for ourselves what our common sense tells us it correct. In this instance, my coomon sense tells me that this Mom should have realized there was something terribly wrong. And I am not prejudiced against her because of a disability or economic status.

I guess it would be nice if we never made any judgements on anything but then I'm not sure that I can be that perfect. Don't judge us too harshly because we want to protect those too little to protect themselves. There are bad people in the world, even parents.

Several months ago I posted a story about parents who kept their adopted/foster children in cages. Some of us here felt that was ok. These parents were recently found guilty and sentenced to eight years in prison. This is an example of how some children are in abusive situations and I'm glad the media exposes them. It's often their only hope.

I think we have all said if this story is not true then good, but if it is, shame on those parents.

Nancy

Kathy813

Staff member
dreamer,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I can imagine many here saying detach...........ignore her..........if it is bedtime, close the door or whatever.
</div></div>

I have been here over two years and I have never seen anyone suggest "detaching" from a 4 year old.

That advice is usually used on the PE forum for adult difficult children where the parent is no longer able to stop the difficult child from destructive behaviors.

I agree that we need to hear the parents side of the story but there are certainly many red flags here that suggest that the little girl was being overmedicated and that the parents did not respond quickly to a life threatening situation.

~Kathy

Marguerite

I refer back to what I said before - medication like this needs to be more strictly regulated, as do the doctors who prescribe it. Whether the parents administered the medications inappropriately or acted under medical advice needs to be investigated. But in my experience, medications which ARE tightly regulated make it clear that they are serious stuff, not to be played around with lightly. A GP might tell me to give my kids another paracetamol tablet for his fever, and I won't worry too much. But because I KNOW dex is highly regulated, if difficult child 3's specialist tells me to double his dose, I'll be more likely to question it. And the only way, under our system, that I CAN double his dose is to get another prescription filled, which would alert the pharmacist if the doctor's instructions are dangerous.

Dreamer, we are commenting on the picture as presented to us by the media. I agree that this could be a gross distortion, but the same applies to anything we comment on here. We should be cautious about reacting too emotionally on either side of the case simply because it COULD be a case of misrepresentation by the media, but as it is reported, there are a number of concerns, aside from whether the parents were culpable. Others had the opportunity to report concerns, but did not. In Australia, failure to report these concerns coupled with a death would lead to some severely rapped knuckles. We HAVE had some nasty cases in recent times where authorities mishandled the case and children have died. Were the parents culpable in those cases? To what degree? We just don't know, because what the media tells us is often very restricted.

All I CAN say about this case - there are a lot of questions to be answered, by a lot of people - the parents, the doctors, others who were in a position to act but who did nothing. Without those answers the truth is still uncertain. The load of guilt, wherever it lies, needs to be spread.

Marg

BusynMember

WE have strict laws for controlled substances, but I personally wouldn't like to "go there" having to practically log every medication given to me. I wouldn't mind for the kids, but if parents want to drug their kids, they will find away. Maybe they'd have bought tons of OTC medications, like Benadryl, cough medications, etc. There are any number of OTC drugs to make a child senseless if given enough. The DOCTOR refilled the scripts, which I find appalling, after they had "lost" medication several times. The pharmacist expressed concern.
As tightly controlled as ADHD drugs are here, they are very much abused by kids. Kids fake ADHD symptoms and get stimulants. They take their little brother's pills. The parents sometimes try to talk doctor's into thinking their kid has aDHD, and use it themselves. You can buy them on the streets. My daughter almost died of ADHD drug overdoses. This is very tightly controlled so who knows how people get the drugs?
Also, there are several known abused OTC drugs that you have to sign for in order to get. I'm not in favor of a complicated paper trail for every medication. The Pharmacists and doctors should know better than to write out scrips like water, and most do. You get a bad egg--combined with ignorant parents and you have trouble. I am also VERY leery of newspaper accounts, however. When these people go to court, the truth will come out in the trial and hopefully the parents will, if guilty, be charged with some sort of murder.

Steely

Dreamer -

I have not been on this board for very long, and I certainly do not want to make waves - however, your post really offended me. I passiontely and unequiovably feel that my role in this world should always be an advocate for the child.......not the adult. The children in this world are the ones who have the potential to be victimized, abused, and taken advantage of. It is my assumption, and society's assumption, that adults can and should safely not only take care of themselves, but also those of the children they are responsible for. I do not care what is true or not true in the story of the little girl dying - the parents are still responsible. They are the ones who were given the responsibility of caring for their daughter, they are the ones that were given responsibility for administering the medications, ensuring she was healthy, giving her attention, therapy, and love. "Anyone that dies from a Clonidine OD, dies a long horrible death" - and the parents of a 4 year old toddler are responsible for noticing that their baby was dying a long horrible death!!!

Again, there are too many children abused and dying every day for me to have an enormous amount of sympathy for adults who are victimized. I have been judged, excluded, and ostracized because of my son - but my axe to grind is for my son who has been judged, excluded and ostracized. My axe to grind is because 1 in 3 little girls are sexually abused - that children die every day at the hands of abusers - and that children are scared to go home at night to their abusive parents. It is my overwhelming conviction that we, as adults, should always be champions for the children, not the other way around. Their child died, of a poisoning, a long horrible death - she called for help, no one answered - her lungs filled with fluid, and she died. May justice be served.

lilac

Sequoia:

You are right....children's well-being and safety comes FIRST--before anything else. This little girl died a horrible death because her parents & any number of other adults failed to protect her. They (and "we," as a society) bear the responsibility for that failure. All of us have the responsibility to take every possible step to ensure that children are safe.

I do still stand by the principles of (1) skepticism regarding media accounts and (2) avoiding a rush to judge--until all the facts are available and/or a trial has taken place.

Best,
Lilac