Have you seen "Sister Wives"?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Me too.

on the other hand - I won't share husband, so I don't know how anyone can do it... LOL!

donna723

I think this is OK only if women are allowed to have multiple husbands. There could be one that makes lots of money, one that's really good at fixing things and likes to cook and do housework, and one reeeally good looking one ...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Yeah, Janet, I'm with you. I have said if I ever get divorced, I will never have another husband...next time, I'm going for a wife...

KTMom91

Brother husbands would only work for me if they would work independently, and not require constant supervision, redirection, and reminding. It's difficult enough training one husband...

donna723

Now that I think about it, they'd probably all just sit there on the sofa like lumps, waiting for someone to tell them what to do! So, you'd need a fourth one that's good at organizing.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Can you believe that H was actually trying to help me understand that it's an 'evolutionary thing' that naturally causes men to want many wives and to mass procreate with them... To spread their seed and perpetuate their species.

Bahahahahahahahahaha...difficult child just quietly got up and kept herself busy while I argued the point. Smart girl to stay out of the way like that! What are we, cavemen? Please. In H's defense, he was referencing a book he read called, Why beautiful
People have more daughters by Alan miller. I am reading it sporadically in between hw assignments.

Hahaha...Brother Husbands-as if!

Marguerite

Can you believe that H was actually trying to help me understand that it's an 'evolutionary thing' that naturally causes men to want many wives and to mass procreate with them... To spread their seed and perpetuate their species.

Actually, he is right. But haven't we evolved far enough? Surely it should be the mark of a highly evolved human to rise above a very basic need to spread his seed far afield?

I studied evolutionary theory at uni, I will happily debate your H any time.

Marg

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Marg I know he's right, but as you said, haven't we evolved past this?

According to the book I mentioned, we really haven't. And, in fact, the writers give all sorts of interesting tidbits of information on why men seek out blondes, large breasted women with blue eyes (according to studies, blonde hair and large breasts signify youthfulness and fecundity and blue eyes show the pupil enlarging when a person is interested in something, in this case the man).

Every so often I suppress my urge to burn the book. This is probably why H read it in 3 days but it's taking me months! The book does cover polyandry, women with more than one H, and why those situations don't work-if it's brothers sharing one wife the book says it can work because each husband will be genetically linked to any offspring from the unions, either as a father or uncle (DNA) and so they will be more vested in being involved with the offspring of such unions. However, if the H's are unrelated, they will feel no genetic ties to the offspring and will be less inclined to share in the offsping's life and that is supposedly the main reason polyandrous societies do not work. In a polygyny (man with more than one wife) situation it works because the genetic link is with all offspring from all wives (supposedly, unless she is messing around with another man-lol).

I would love for you to debate H Marg-I call his family the debate team when they're all together!

Last edited:

Mattsmom277

I knew this man, call him "T". We met through frequenting a very artsy cafe that I lived next to when difficult child was young. I was friends with the owner and would work for her when she was short, and I spent a lot of time there. Lots of philosophical conversation, was enjoyable place to hang out. Anyhow, enter T. He was very much "on the fringe" but was interesting enough to talk to. He ended up renting the place right above me for a while, which led to me knowing far more than I wanted to know about just how on the "fringe" he was.

Anyhow, after the cafe closed I never really saw T again (he had long since moved out of the place above me). A few years later he tracked me online and we chatted sporatically. Turns out T was living on a huge parcel of land he had bought very far up north. He was planning to create a "camp" of sorts, I'd even hazard to call it a "commune". I used to chat with him just for the comedic content of the conversation (although he was quite serious). He had a live in g/f and she had a child from a previous relationship. She was pregnant with his first child. They had a small cabin next to their small house that they rented out. He kept renting to young women, mostly women without family, needy women. He was intent of finding women who would want to enter into a poly marriage/living situation with him and his g/f.

Oh gosh the conversations I'd have! I couldn't believe this guy was for real. I am hazarding a guess that he's still on the hunt ;).

Anyhow, it had got me to thinking about the whole poly relationship thing. I just can't get it. I just really can't.

Lothlorien

Since this is an illegal practice in the USA, I'm actually surprised and just a little disappointed that this is being aired, especially on A&E, which is one of my preferred channels.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Loth, drug possession is illegal and then you see Intervention. It's about education and awareness, I think, and not approval of a lifestyle.
Besides, I can't see how it will hold any sort of story line for more than 2 episodes.

Lothlorien

Fran, I thought about that too. The thing about intervention is that they are trying to get the addict to quit. I don't usually watch that show either. It hits a raw spot in me.

I haven't watched the show (sister wives), but it just seemed to me that the by having the show on, it seems to make it more condonable and acceptable. You are probably right about it not being more than a few episodes, but ya just never know. There are crazier things on tv right now.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Loth, I think you hit the nail on the head. I did a little lite research and discovered that there may be a hidden agenda. This is not the only polygamous story out there hitting the main stream and it has been suggested that some hard core fundamental conservatives are using this as a way to fight back against some forward thinking liberals agenda to make gay marriage legal. Iow, if gay marriage can be considered legal, why not polygamy as well. They supposedly want to go mainstream to remove or lessen the stigma attached to polygamous communities or situations, Know what I mean??

Anyway, that is what I read-not saying I agree or disagree and certainly do not want to get political either.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Honestly, what is this world coming to? :919Mad:

I'm still laughing over Marcie's title, "Octomom is having a garage sale." Oh, the visual! :rofl:

Suz

DammitJanet

I still think the government should get out of our bedrooms.

They read the actual law on tv today and it says that a person cannot marry or COHABIT with more than one person which would mean that if someone just decided not to marry and live with a guy and two or three girls, they could be charged with bigamy.

Marguerite

We don't have that law in Australia, not regarding cohabitation. Back in the 70s & 80s a well-known Aussie actor, Jack Thompson, was widely known to be living with two sisters. One eventually left, after years. Ten or more, I believe. Way up in the country...Not sure where things are now with him and his live-in loves.

OK, I just checked. He married the sister who stayed and they have a son. Here is a link - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0860233/bio#trivia

You will see that he's really done a lot, including films with some actors you may have heard of. Can you imagine Russell Crowe playing a gay man? Jack Thompson played his father in "The Sum of Us", a great film.

Marg

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Just saw the latest--

Looks like the families on the show may be charged with Bigamy....

It was on the news feeds this morning.