Have YOU spread your Reindeer Food yet?

DDD

:forsanta: Since l960 Santa has always found homebaked cookies and milk waiting on the piano bench. Sometimes he has found a small bag on very small cookies for the reindeer.

An hour ago :D the kindergarden granddaughter blew into the house
with an ear to ear smile (showing three missing baby teeth, by the way) and said
"COME ON MAMA!"

At school yesterday her class made "Reindeer Food" to put out in the grass for Rudolph and the gang. That's a new one for me....and it was
precious as she carried the little clear bag with ??crushed oats?? and asked me "Do you think they will want to park in the front yard? Maybe
they'll land in the driveway so their feet don't get wet?"

I had about thirty minutes of unbriddled joy to behold. Thought maybe someone here might want to make some Reindeer Food for their little ones
too. DDD

gcvmom

Here we go again!
How delightful they are at that age!

We put the reindeer food out on Christmas Eve. It's usually so windy it blows away by morning so it naturally looks like the deer were here and gobbled up their treat :)

We've had a variety of recipes for this over the years. The "greenest" is simply crushed oats with some birdseed and maybe a few cupcake sprinkles in it for magic. Other times my kids brought home some less-than-enviornmentally-friendly bags that had the oats along with large bits of mylar confetti (!)

I hope Santa grants her every wish this year! Better get a picture of that happy toothless elfish face to put on an ornament for next year :D

maril

Enjoyed your post. How sweet your little granddaughter is! I don't have any little ones now but remember those days...we always left a note from Santa beside the empty plate (had cookies for Santa and a carrot for the reindeer usually) for the kids to find on Christmas morning. I think it was daughter, who one year told me that Santa's writing looked like mine (smart kid/not so smart mom, lol)!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Awwww. How precious. I bet that was fun!! :D

Thanks for the reminder. :D I'll bring it up to easy child today. Darrin will love it, and so will Aubrey.

And knowing our neighborhood.......they just might find a few deer on the lawn in the morning. :rofl:

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
We have our bag of oats with a little bit of all natural purple sugar crystal right by the Christmas tree for Christmas Eve.

F

flutterbee

We always put glitter in ours, because it's the glitter that makes the reindeer fly. ;)

DDD

I guess I've just "missed the boat" on reindeer feeding! :D Maybe...just maybe...it's a "Yankee" thing?? Obviously we don't have snow down this way so the "food" just goes on the grass.

Nah. I bet I've missed the boat in the South, too. :redface: What a neat tradition! DDD

F

flutterbee

We got started because the kids brought home reindeer food that they made in school. I had never thought of it before. We can't count on a white Christmas here, so I would put it on a plate and then dust it off - leave some crumbs around it. The kids don't know the difference.

TerryJ2

Awww, that's SO cute!

My kids are past that age. But we have real deer. Not reindeer, just white tailed deer. And they have a taste for expensive trees. Mostly, Japanese juniper and white cedar atlas. Sigh.
No oats for them!

Andy

Terry - I am shocked! REAL deer? :surprise: :D

Reindeer are real and they come around once a year (night of Dec 24th). They would love oats. If the REAL deer will not eat oats than you know for sure the reindeer will get it. And, suggesting it to your difficult child would most likely give him his daily laugh. :smug:

DDD - I love that idea. I never thought of feeding Santa's reindeer. It would make the wait for Santa go faster. Must be boring at each stop.

KTMom91

I'd never heard of this either, but thought it was a great idea for the kids, so I suggested it to our childrens' pastor. Guess who's making reindeer food for the preschoolers and the kindergarteners tomorrow morning? I'm looking forward to seeing if they can wait till they get home, or if we'll have reindeer food all over the lawn.