Have your families had the stomach flu yet?

goldenguru

In the past week, my daughter, both grands, son, hubby, and myself all got a very violent stomach flu. The ER docs called it Norovirus. Both grands had to go to the ER for fluids since this flu dehydrates small children so quickly.

It is highly contagious, so if one family member gets it, it is strongly recommended that you take extreme precautions to prevent the spread of the germ. Hand washing, scrubbing toilets, bathroom floors, etc. with bleach. Even clothing worn during flu should be washed immediately in HOT water. A person who has had the flu should not prepare food for other family members for at least 3 days following their illness. It is a very virulent bug.

Just thought I would share what our family learned the hard way. :(

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Thanks for the heads up on the flu......hope your family is getting back to "normal"........think I'll go wash my hands............

crazymama30

Norovirus is nasty. Really hard on the elderly too. It swept through several assisted livings around here a few years back, and they had warning signs posted on the front door. I went in to several for work and washed my hands constantly and did not get it. It is not a fun virus, I would describe someone as being violently ill when they have it. It sent many here to the hospital.

Star*

call 911........call 911
I learned something I thought I would share here....because.....well it just floored me when I was told by my Doctor that the FLU is respitory. There is no such thing as a stomach flu - there are nasty viral problems for lower GI.......

WHODA THUNK? I figured when you had it at both ends - FLU - but not true.

Don't know why I felt the need to share this - but it's just one of those dumb things (trivia) that fell out.

HOPE WHATEVER YOU HAVE YOU FEEL BETTER.

HUGS (with a mask on)
Star
actually - I'll just wave from across a hermedically sealed room -:sick:

crazymama30

my microbioloby instructor used to go on tirades about there being no stomach flu. It is gastroenteritis. He used to just get on his soap box and go off. It was really kind of amusing.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Well, whatEVER you call it -- NO we haven't got it and HE!! NO we don't WANT ANY!!!

I have to keep difficult child 1 far, faaaaarrrr away from anyone with a GI virus because we don't want it pushing him into a Crohn's flare... that could be very, very bad for him. And he gets a flu vaccine each year because he also has asthma (plus any kind of big bug, GI, respiratory or otherwise can just mess with his already freaky immune system).

So thanks, but NO THANKS and I hope nobody else here gets sick this season!!!!

trinityroyal

Nope, no Norovirus here (she says while slathering on the hand sanitizer)

We're working our way through all of the respiratory ickies at the moment. husband has a sinus infection, Little easy child my poor asthmatic boy is barking like a seal, and I'm just getting over bronchitis. Fun, WOW!

Thanks for the warning, though. I will make sure to steer clear of anyone with the first sign of blech, and scrub everything.

Trinity

Wiped Out

Staff member
GG,
I had it so bad last month. I ended up with a double whammy of the Crytoporadium parasite and the Noro virus.

It landed me in the hospital for 3 days-it was the worst I have ever felt. husband and easy child also were sick but not as bad.