Having a rough day :-(

InsaneCdn

Husband says he is sober, has a place to live, has a car and has a girlfriend so what am I so worried about?
He's a man, and a Dad. Not a woman and a Mom. We don't think the same and we don't feel the same! Often, that's a good thing - in any one situation, at least one of us is "functional". But... sometimes it would be nice to have support.

Copabanana

Husband says he is sober, has a place to live, has a car and has a girlfriend so what am I so worried about?
RN. I agree with husband.

You are doing fantastic. Every single one of us is in your shoes. But they have gotten too tight. It is time to throw them off and go barefoot. And dance!!

Your son is on his way. I love the idea of the girlfriend (in a few weeks I will love her even more.)

BusynMember

Does he have a job? His own place? A future? If not, I understand your worry...I would too

A girlfriend can cause trouble, especially if son is not supporting himself. It depends on the situation.

I worry more than my hubby, Insane. I can't speak for every relationship but he is far more chill than me. I do think it is common for the man to worry less.

Kathy813

Staff member
One of the things they tell you in recovery is to stay away from new relationships for one year and work on yourself instead. While a year may be unrealistic for most, I would say three months is definitely too early. Break ups can be a trigger in early recovery.

Not that you can do anything about it. I think your husband is correct. Enjoy the calm and don't look for trouble. One of the things that I had to learn is to take it one day at a time. I was bad about always imagining the things that could go wrong.

~Kathy

Ironbutterfly

If focused on a single leaf you won't see the tree
He is making progress RN, take a deep breath. He has the basics, shelter, food, sober living for now. He has been talking to a gal who seems nice. But I do agree- relationships can be a trigger when you are trying to live sober. Put one foot in front of the other daily.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
He had told his dad he was lonely. My husband told him it would be nice if he could meet a girl as a friend - to have someone to talk to.
Well he took his dad's advice and met this girl on line. I think she has been a positive for him. He said she is a great person and a straight shooter.

I am more afraid she will fall hard for him than the other way around to be honest. Either way I can't control any of it.

One day at at a time, one day at a time.