Having some rough weeks

snees

All three of my children are ADD. However my youngest son has severe receptive expressive language disorder which is causing problems. He is very hyper and I retained him in Kindergarten this year however he is still having severe issues. He has a twin that we did not stay back. His IEP meeting is coming up and I really am at a loss. He has done many assessments and after a six hour neuropsychologist assessment he is not diagnosis on spectrum. My husband is not any help with any of the kids and I don't know what to do. My son really needs some assistance with social issues as he does not know how to meet friends. I am worried that his language issues will only cause him more social problems if he remains in a regular classroom as he acts out, etc. He does have some great strenghts as he is great at drawing, a whiz at legos, etc. I am planning to ask for more one on one, pull outs. They are advocating to keep him in a regular classroom and the neuro agreed as he needs some socialization. I was wondering if anyone out there had similar issues.
:smile:

BusynMember

Hi there and sorry you are going through this.

Most neuropsychs are pretty good, but I have to question this one who thinks your son isn't on the spectrum. At any rate, I believe spectrum interventions would help him a lot. Processing problems, which he seems to have, can be treated (and are also common spectrum problems). Social skills, if they are very bad...don't know what to say. Spectrum sounding again, but, as long as the school sees the problem, can they not have somebody work with him on these social skills? How does he act around his peers and how does he try to make friends?

How does he act out in class or at home and what are the triggers?

Does he have any obsessive interests? Does he have a great, great rote memory yet have trouble understanding abstracts?

I am not convinced that retaining children is that helpful. What he really needs is help with his problems so that he can move forward in my opinion. Does your son have an IEP at school? I think he really could use one, if not. Did your son ever have a speech delay and what was he like as an infant and toddler? Was he affectionate? Did he eat well? Does he make good, steady eye contact with you and with strangers? Does he rage and, if so, when? Any sensitivities to foods, material, loud noise, crowds?

The very first thing I'd do is to fight to get him the interventions that he needs. in my opinion this kid is not just ADD. I could be wrong. I'm just a mom. But I would probably seek a second opinion if I were you. Why did this neuropsychologist say he isn't on the spectrum? It's a neuropsychologist, right? Not a neurologist?

snees

Thanks for quick reply. Yes he has had interventions since infants and toddlers. He was in special needs preschool, has IEP and the school system is very supportive. He has had many consults, services, behavior therapy, etc. I do not believe he is spectrum per se but desperately needs social support. He always had speech delay. He can use speech to express wants and needs but not abstract speech. Very creative. I will check his most recent evaluation I want to say neuropsychiatrist. Every evaluation to get him on spectrum said they believed it was primarily speech (receptive expressive). With spectrum it would be easier for me to deal with as I feel that there are not many people with my sons issues. His social issues is due to inability to use speech to meet people. I find this so stressing.

BusynMember

Be careful. They did this to my son too and he IS on the spectrum and it became more obvious as he got older.

He did not get a formal diagnosis. until age eleven, but we knew and we pushed for the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) interventions. Now we're glad we did.

Your description of your son sounds as if he is struggling a lot more than mine was.

I wish you good luck and keep trying to look for answers. I don't think they've nailed your son right yet.

InsaneCdn

after a six hour neuropsychologist assessment he is not diagnosis on spectrum
Then... what DID they give for a diagnosis?
Sometimes there's a partial diagnosis buried in there... for example, they may say "has many Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) traits but does not meet diagnostic cutoff" - which many mean "next thing to Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)", or it may mean "current challenging issues make it difficult to definitively assign an Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) diagnosis"... and those two are totally different outcomes.
Were there any recommendations for follow-on testing, accommodations, interventions?

snees

His diagnosis is ADHD combined type, Receptive expressive language disorder, adjustment reatino with predominant disturbance of conduct. Neuropsychologist conducted evaluation. UGGGH why does this have to be so hard.
:smile: