He Has Reared His Head

Scent of Cedar *

His convoluted explanation is that he was no longer living at home, so he does not have to tell me anything. If I was worried that is on me. I was not worried about where he was going to live or how he was going to survive when I told him he could not come home.

"If I was worried that is on me."

The core hurt is that, somehow, we are supposed to confront and acknowledge and feel punished by our rotten, non-loving motherhood at every bend in the road. Our difficult child kids are forever the victims of their uncaring parents to everyone else and we get that ~ but to understand they have told the story so often they have come to believe it themselves and that they expect us to believe it of ourselves too...ouch.

That's the stinking unfairness, here.

pasa, you are a wonderful mother. We know what all this cost you because we have been there ourselves ~ we know the taste of fear and regret and curdled hope and determination, too. There are times when we all need right witness. For you, this is one of those times.

It's a very lonely place to be, this place where you are now. Recently traumatized and told you deserve it.

How crummy is that.

And told you deserve nothing better.

A bitter, lonely, hopeless place.

You know what? This is just how they think. It's that kind of thinking that allows them to justify the way they behaved when they did live at home. As though there are no rules of behavior and they've never been taught manners or consideration for others. He has to have known a sudden disappearance would devastate you.

He has to have known.

But in his mind, he has all the loose ends tucked neatly in. In his thinking, he comes out smelling like a rose, and we are the villains. It's like they cannot see how painful the actions we've taken to motivate them were for us to take.

They do not see our bravery or our pain or how hard any of this has been for us. They do not see how lonely we are for them. They cannot understand the sense of loss when we reach for them or think about them, and our hands come up empty.

And that layer is a whole other kind of hurt other moms know nothing about.

Without words to express what we feel, we suffer the hurt and the shame and the endless, middle of the night questioning of motive and outcome alone.

My son calls us by our first names. He has, for years. Because, so he says, (right to our faces at the same time he was also expecting money), if we are not friends who call one another by their first names we are nothing, because we were such bad parents.

And I am used to it, but it still hurts me.

That is what I meant about our hands coming up empty.

It's like we have no right to mother-love. They do not get to define that for us, pasa.

They do not get to touch that.

If they did not know how much we do love them, they would not be using it to turn us against ourselves. That is what they are doing, when they treat us without cherishing ~ calling everything we've done into question, and leaving us wondering, in the dark of the night, how this could have been the outcome of those days when we were moms of such strong, beautiful little sons who loved us so much.

We are doing the best we know for them, pasa.

For them.

The other ways have not worked.

You are strong enough, and so am I.

Cedar

pasajes4

I wonder if they realize that it gets easier and easier to let them flounder and fail every time they make these ridiculous claims. I don't for a minute think he thought through what he was going to do. N's mother said he had flown in that afternoon to pick up the truck and stayed long enough to eat dinner and then drive back to Dallas. The boys did not stay in touch after N moved to live with his dad. He hurls his bad mother crap when he gets caught with his hand in the cookie jar. I hope it works out for him. I am moving to a 55 and older community and he cannot live with me.

SeaGenieTx

I have no clue where my son is right now. We have had torrential rains the past 24 hrs and my city is basically under water. My instinct is to call and see if he is ok but I can't because he will know I'm worried and that just gives him power. This time I am staying silent, I am dissapearing off the radar to see how long it takes until he starts worrying about me. Not holding my breath but I have to let him know I'm done with this. I just have had this horrible sick to my stomach feeling he is going to end up dead. I can't shake that and its eating away at me.

A dad

I completely understand what you feel I feel it everyday because my son does not care to call at all. If I do not make the effort to call there will be no relation at all and yes I know I give him power but its either that or no contact at all and I wonder what is better have relation on his own terms or not at all?

SeaGenieTx

I know I worry by not checking up on him its making things worse...I have no other family and he just grinds salt in my wounds by ignoring me. I can not comprehend how they can treat us like this. I never did this to my parents. My son called me psycho and a stalker because I check up on him. So no appreciation whatsoever that he has a worried mom.

pasajes4

We got hit with the rain, floods, and tornados. Most of the really bad stuff was in the small towns that surround San Antonio. Genie, He is fine. Remember 98% of the time they are alive. I would tell you not to worry, but I know you will. I was worried about my thoughtless brat too. If he had grown up and got a job across country, I doubt if we would worry about them as much. My pastor and my therapist remind me all the time that worry is useless.

SeaGenieTx

You are right Pas! I gotta snap out of it. Worrying isn't doing me a bit of good. Our sons have to make us out to be bad moms so they won't feel guilty for treating us like **** And u are right too that 98% of the time they are alive. I have to hold that thought and realize worry is useless. One thing Ive been doing that helps me a lot is when I go to bed I silence my phone. If anything happens at least I will have gotten a good nights sleep and can deal with it in the morning.