He left...

A

AmericanGirl

He stayed up all night last night playing with some new computer program. Was horribly irritable all day long.

Went to Celebrate Recovery. Said he might leave with a friend. Told him fine but he needed to be home before midnight. I didn't want to get awakened as I need to work tomorrow. Friend didn't show and he came home.

He comes into my bedroom about 1215. I'm turning in. He says his friend may come get him in a little while to go with her to go see someone who lives 30 minutes away. I asked if he was planning on returning tonight. He said maybe. Reminded him of the midnight rule. He argued with me. Asked for a key. I said no. I finally said - fine, go, just call me when you get back and I'll get up and let you in.

Then, he blows up and walks out, saying he will see me tomorrow. About 15 minutes later, he calls to tell me that he isn't going with his friend and he will see me tomorrow. Then he hung up.

I truly believe he is most likely bipolar. Everything I am reading points towards that and that he is currently hypomanic. He is due to see the shrink on Monday. I called the police to explain and ask if they could just check on him if they see him wandering around while out on patrol. They said no but I could fill out a report. I pass.

Have turned on the flloodlights, locked the doors and checked the windows. He scares me. I am scared for him.

It's so hard to go through this alone. It's too late to call anyone. Plz say a prayer, for both of us. Will update when I can.

S

Signorina

Prayers and a hug coming your way. I know how you feel. Pls try to get some sleep tonight. {{{hugs}}}

Nancy

This doesn't sound like bi-polar to me. This is exactly how my difficult child acted when she wanted to go out and drink/smoke pot. She was evasive about where she was going and who she was going with. She knew she wouldn't be coming home that night because she knew she would be in no shape and I would find out, plus no one would want to drive her home after a night of partying. He wanted a key so he could slip in without you knowing when he came home.

Nancy

A

AmericanGirl

Im no shrink but his therapist believes it is a possibility.

Key logger shows no alcohol/drug activity. His phone wont text right now...broken. Few calls preceeding outburst. All just a minute or two...outgoing.

Has been awake for two straight days.
jumps topics when talks.
mumbles constantly.
lying to everyone online...about things his friends know arent true. Big huge lies. Getting called on it by them.
Wild mood swings.
on facebook, he created another account using the name of an item..lfor example...cheese omelet. Then went to his account and linked to that other account to say he is engaged to cheese omelet.

It gets weirder every week.

DDD

Thinking of you all and saying prayers that he stabilizes soon. It must be beyond frightening for you to face the unknown alone. Do keep us updated as we all care. Hugs. DDD

Nancy

Thanks for the updated info. I'm sorry I posted to you in a hurry because my difficult child just walked in the door. It does sound like something else is going on. I know you are frightened. Keep us posted onwhat's going on.

Nancy

T

toughlovin

Hugs it is so hard when you know something is wrong to sit and wait to see what happens!

TL

susiestar

Roll With It
The short phone calls sound much like drug activity. Have you searched his room? he very well may be bipolar and use drugs. Many with bipolar turn to illegal drugs rather than rx medications due to side effects, wanting the high, etc.....

Before the doctor appointment, PLEASE read up on the approved medication protocol for bipolar. Of course NO medications will work with illegal drugs, but you have to start somewhere and if drugs are not in the picture then you need the RIGHT medications.

A LOT of medications make people with bipolar have mood cycles. Even OTC cold medications can. the approved protocol says that the patient needs mood stabilizer and antipsychotic drugs. Up to 2 mood stabilizers may be needed and the antipsychotic can be a huge help esp as he is aggressive. Mood stabilizers are tricky. You have to find the right medications and get them into the system to the right level before you know if they work or not. It takes 4-6 WEEKS to get the full effect of a mood stab. It also takes time to get them up to a therapeutic level.

Once he is STABLE on medications, you may see a lot of the symptoms are gone. If he is still having problems, very low doses of antidepressants, stimulants, etc... can be tried. Lots of us have sworn that our kids NEED antidepressants to help with their bipolar but reality is that antidepressants make it WORSE. ditto stimulants.

I am often frustrated by this because this formula - mood stab +antipsychotic in the right combo/amt works and antidepressants make things much worse - because it seems that psychiatrists ignore it. A LOT of us here have had to fight to get this. My son is not bipolar. Any change in psychiatrists meant that the doctor wanted to go reinvent the wheel and give a different diagnosis. Each one watned to diagnosis bipolar and put him on antidepressants. No other medications, just antidepressants. If Wiz WAS bipolar this would be a recipe for disaster.

I started taking a copy of the medication protocol and asking the doctor if he know of it, and if yes then WHY would he want to ignore it? I wasn't their favorite parent after that (tough noogies). If the doctor honestly believed Wiz was bipolar, then I would not argue IF and ONLY IF the doctor followed the medication protocol. it works.

The adults here iwth bipolar say this works, also.

Here is a Parent's Medication Guide for Bipolar in Children and Adolescents that was designed by the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry: http://www.parentsmedguide.org/bipolarmedicationguide.pdf

in my opinion this is an amazing tool. I hadn't seen it before and skimmed it and it seems really, really great. It doesn't have the specific protocol but it has great info and questions to help you discuss this with the doctor or to help difficult child discuss it. I know your difficult child is 18, but his brain is still developing, so if you can go into the appointment with him it might be a good thing.

The medication protocol I was discussing is in The Bipolar Child by Papalous. Reading the book might give insight to help figure out if he is or isn't bipolar. You don't list a diagnosis, so I thought it might help. Most libraries have it. If you skip to the medication section you will find the info.

Alabama Girl: I hope you were able to get some sleep last night, and that your difficult child is safe today. I am sending good thoughts to you that you have some peace in your house, and you are able to get help for your difficult child. Please let us know how your son is doing today. HUGS....

A

AmericanGirl

First, thank you all so very much. Your ideas, support, and prayers are appreciated and valued.

He is back. Calmer. Just trying to say as little as possible. Praying we get to Monday and he will go to the psy evaluation.

Susiestar, thank you for the info. It's very helpful.

It is so heartbreaking with our difficult children....i remember reading him the book, Guess How Much I Love You, when he was a child. Must have read it hundreds of times. Would give anything....everything...to have that previous, loving child back.

I had to walk away from my mother and brother due to their alcoholism and untreated mental issues. Ex husband was similar with the added bonus of abuse. Just mad at God now....for making me deal with this with my only child.

Thanks again.

rejectedmom

sending you (((HUGS))). I understand the being "mad at God" thing I am currently feeling the same. Just not as intensly as I was a few weeks back. So that feeling will pass in time.

Nancy

Yes I've had my "mad at God" moments also. I use to ask why he/she was letting this happen and what I did so wrong to deserve it. Sometimes you just have to let the anger go.

Nancy

I am sending you good wishes that your difficult child will stay safe and will go to the psychiatric evaluation on Monday. Please keep in touch with this group. There are a lot of people here who understand how you are feeling, and are here to send you strength and support.