He Looks Like......omg

KTMom91

I know you need regular TB tests before working with kids, but I don't remember them being required for any of the lovely little fast food jobs I worked back in the day.

skeeter

bad teeth, skin pallor and sores, drab, graying hair, extreme weight loss, all are symptoms of meth use. When we did our Citizens on Patrol training we were shown "before and after" pictures of meth users, and in 2 or 3 years of use they had aged 20 years or more! Some weren't even recognizable as the same people.

Heck, if you are cooking down solvents, WD-40, etc. and putting it in your body (not even counting the actual part of the drug that gives the high) what would you expect?

Does he look really aged? You can do a google search of Meth users in Images, they look like different people, does he look like that? Do they have a history of Meth use? Maybe that's why the kids have such bad teeth, can they get bad teeth from 2nd hand exposure, or even in utero? I hope he's got a disease and not exposing the kids to that. I don't mean I hope he has a disease.

H

HaoZi

KT, I've been working food service for a few years now and never even been asked about a TB test, so I guess that hasn't changed. We have a measles outbreak in Indiana (which is neither here nor there, totally off-topic), but the last time I heard of anyone with TB was someone in the news coming in from a different country.

donna723

There's actually still quite a bit of TB out there. Working in the prison, we'd see it every once in a while, especially from those that had lived "on the fringes", including a lot of the serious drug addicts. The employees could be fired for refusing an annual TB skin test but they couldn't force the inmates to be tested. Most of them cooperated but a few didn't. We had an incident a few years ago where two inmates who had previously tested positive had slacked off on taking their medication and as a result, several others that lived in their housing unit suddenly converted over to "Positive" on their skin tests. They came in like storm troopers and removed them all to a medical unit for treatment. They can't force them to be tested or to take the medication but they can isolate them if they show up with active TB. But yes, TB is still out there.

Star*

call 911........call 911
The constant use of meth (smoking) would cause him to have a cough. His lungs are shutting down. South Carolina is talking about having to have people who are getting /receiving welfare, TANF, SNAP to take a drug test to get benefits. It's being debated as we speak. I'm all for it. They're saying if you test dirty? You loose your benefits - EVEN medicaid. Lots of people are complaining about it stating that if they do that CRIME will go up because drug addicts wont be able to get anything to eat. The other side of the coin is that the drug addicts are SELLING their foods stamps for drugs so it's not like their kids are missing out anyway. Maybe if they didn't have $600 a month coming in for drugs? Their kids would be better off.

It's a real mess. But even with the SNAP cards? They are finding ways around selling the food stamps for cash to get drugs. See it all the time here.

Hound with regards to Katie NOT having money for food for the kids and NO foodstamps? HOW.IN.THE.H? ALL the money that she is getting a month......NOT working......and she has NO money? NONE?
NOW I'm angry.....FREE RIDE, FREE APARTMENT, FREE UTILITIES......and she's taking money out of her kids mouths for drugs? TIME TO GO. Not a single lesson learned with that one. And her exposing himself husband.

SOMEONE would listen to me if I had to CAMP in the DSS office......

Star*

call 911........call 911
There is SUCH a drug problem here they're passing out condoms and needles to anyone and everyone that will take them - even the methadone clinic has people that stand outside and offers junk if you won't come inside. I guess it's better than nothing, but WOW. And the health departments? ALL you have to do is walk in, sign a clip board and ask for a "paper bag" and they will give you a brown lunch sack FULL of condoms. I didn't know that either, now I do? I think I'm going to just go get bags and bags and send them to Dude, and his buddies...and his buddies buddies - all the dummies.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
And the health departments? ALL you have to do is walk in, sign a clip board and ask for a "paper bag" and they will give you a brown lunch sack FULL of condoms.

Ours is that way. Which is why I was so mad that Nichole and her now boyfriend had not used BC. Heck I had offered to buy BC, after aubrey of course, didn't know his parents were letting them enjoy themselves at their house while they poked their heads in the sand and pretended not to notice.

TB is possible. If I told you just how MUCH of a comeback the new strains are making you would walk around with masks on around anyone who coughs. But I'd imagine katie and the kids would also be showing symptoms as TB is pretty easy to catch. My bet is meth or AIDs or both, probably both as I doubt meth is the only drug he uses. Here those who use meth or crack also use heroine to sleep.

M is only a couple of years younger than me. He looks older than husband who is 63. He only vaguely resembles the photo of himself that katie sent to us as their engagement picture when she was 18, very vaguely.

I was blunt with her tonight. I wanted to know what "bills" she had....you know, expenses going out as opposed to income coming in. She only mentioned the rent and cable bill (phone, cable, and internet) Yet it's the 11th, she just got alex's check and the food stamps and she's sending M to food pantries tomorrow because she had to "buy things they needed" and then has basically no money left for the rest of the month. Notice she did not say food, it was "things".

So I looked at my stock pile in my pantry. Which just last week I offered to bag up some of it to help a young mother who was truly in need if a food pantry couldn't help her, don't even know the girl but a trusted friend does. I looked at it and thought NO. You're not offering katie a darn thing. Not ONE thing.

My compromise because kayla is hurting right now........she wants extended family contact in a major way and is giving katie ten kinds of hades because they don't have a car to come visit ect.......Is Nichole and I are planning a family dinner saturday. (M by the way is NOT invited) Kids can come play with their cousins and get some Nana attention and eat a huge meal that I know they like. Spagetti, garlic bread, and cake and cheese cake. Nichole picked up some super cheap water balloons in case it's dreadfully hot.

Ahh, my kayla. She's totally getting it. Katie does nothing now but go on and on and on about how kayla will not stop telling her and M that it's all THEIR fault that they were homeless and have always done without and go hungry when other kids eat ect ect.

I told katie to tell Kayla that if she doesn't want to repeat the mistakes of her parents then she needs to continue doing well in school and plan to attend college or trade school. On the side Nichole has been using kayla's anger at her parents to talk katie into taking her to counseling. Tonight I mentioned it in a vague way myself as katie doesn't know that Nichole has been talking to me about what she's been doing. If kayla makes her miserable enough, she'll take her, if just with hopes of getting her medicated and under "control" again. Katie is even more miserable as Alex has now jumped onto the bandwagon himself.

And Nana just smiles.

Once easy child's cast is off, I'm going to try to get kayla and let her hang out here as often as I can. She needs to be away from brothers that are allowed to make her miserable. And we have a special bond to renew. But it's a relief to see that she IS getting it. I thought it would take much longer for it to click with her.

No one needs "things" if there isn't food. And $600 plus food stamps are gone? This is what happened to the birthday party money and that would have been like..$15, for a boxed cake mix, hot dogs and rolls? The drugs come before everything. He takes her money because she lets him. That money is for the kids. I don't know how you keep quiet, this whole situation I know is very difficult for you. (((HUGS)))

Can you have her give you the food stamps and some money and money for gas, and you take Kayla food shopping for them with their money?

H

HaoZi

If Kayla can talk to her counselor alone, she could be blunt as to why she's asking like this and that if her mother insists on medication to get her under control to have sugar pills Rx'd because A) Kayla doesn't need them, and B) I think M would take them anyway. And have her tell the counselor to call the rest of the family without K's knowledge.

On a side note, about how much longer do you think M will last? Sounds like you're mostly waiting him out at this point.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
IF kayla is able to talk to a counselor and develops trust with them, the gig is up. There is just too much going on in that home. They're mandatory reporters. If kayla developed trust she'd open her mouth and it would all come spilling out. Thus I'm not holding my breath on katie taking her unless kayla's behavior pushes her into a corner. I *think* I could convince katie to have me put on the paperwork as emergency contact person ect which would bipass HIPPA and let me and therapist and or psychiatrist talk back and forth. But all that is a big IF as katie knows it's a high risk of kayla spilling the beans about everything going on in that home.

As for M.........the way he looks, it's not going to be long. A year max at the rate he's going downhill.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Sigh...

Honestly? I really HOPE that Kayla is a complete c-difficult child for Katie, and jams her into a corner... SOON. If not, maybe there will be a teacher she likes...

CrazyinVA

Staff member
What about Kayla talking to her guidance counselor at school? They're mandated reporters, too, I think. If Katie won't let Kayla see anyone, that's one option that Kayla has, if you can suggest it directly to Kayla. Or, maybe you could even place a call to the counselor yourself, and tell her you're concerned about some things happening at home and just wondering if she (or he) could check in with Kayla once in awhile. My kids were lucky enough to have wonderful guidance counselors from elementary school on, who helped a great deal.

by the way, I thought of AIDS as well when you described M. My brother is living with AIDS (he's one of the lucky ones, he's gotten the right cocktails and has been living with it for almost 15 years now). There is a certain look to AIDS patients in the face especially (my brother calls it "AIDS face") .. incredibly sunken cheeks making them look like they're starving from a third-world country.

DammitJanet

I was going to say that people who smoke meth or shoot meth not only use heroin to come off it, they also use seroquel so be careful if Katie attempts to take any of the kids in and attempts to get one of them put on that drug...or any of the AP's. That would be for M. I never knew that before Cory knew some methheads and he told me there was a market for seroquel. Sigh. He wouldnt let them in his house.

H

HaoZi

Am I a really bad person for thinking that a year is too long and hoping for waaaay shorter?

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LOL HaoZi, if you are then I'm worse, I'm personally hoping it will be within 3 months. :flirtysmile3:

Yup, Janet. I know all about the Seroquel and ads. Thanks to bff, I know way more about such things than I ever wanted to know.