He needs fillings in all four front teeth!

TerryJ2

Ack! I knew he wasn't brushing his teeth, but I assumed that his fillings would all end up in the molars. OMG, what a mess.
The appointment isn't for three weeks. Let's see if THIS will teach him to brush every day!
(Good thing we have dental insurance.)

Wiped Out

Staff member
Ouch!! I think I will tell my difficult child this; maybe it will get him to start brushing his teeth. I've always been amazed that my difficult child hasn't ever had any cavities.

BusynMember

Terry, part of cavities is heredity. Although not brushing doesn't do a whole lotta good. Sonic had eight cavities...he doesn't brush. HOWEVER...interesting story here.

When S. was in the orphanage in Hong Kong they brushed very on-and-off and the kids were not made to do a good job. So when we adopted S. I took him AND my bio. son, who was made to brush twice a day, to the dentist, expecting the worst, thinking about how many cavities S. probably had from sweet eating and not brushing. It actually gave me a nervous stomach to think of the cost. Guess what?

S. had no cavities. None. He has never had a cavity in his life, in fact, and he is thirty six. My ex told me this as S. doesn't speak to me anymore. But no cavities is amazing, especially with his horrible start. So did I get off the hook, money-wise? I did not. My son 36, who was maybe six at the time had, ten cavities. Count 'em. TEN! Now I remember my mother telling me, in a rather nasty way, that I cost her a bundle because the first time I went to the dentist I had TWENTY-FOUR cavities. Yep. Twenty four. My entire DNA clan has tons of cavities and gum issues.

Jeez, Terry. I never expected that...lol.

Hey, not saying your kid wouldn't have had better dental results if he'd brushed, but there IS a hereditary factor involved.

I'm sorry that your son has to have filling in all four of his front teeth...ugh!

TerryJ2

Wow, MWM, I've never heard of that before! You learn something new every day. :)
(And that's a lot of cavities!)

dstc_99

We tend to have bad cavities here too. Worse than that we tend to get plaque build up that is horrible. The dental tech often books us for two appts.

LittleDudesMom

I do agree that a portion of oral health is genetic (bonehead takes better care of his teeth than anyone I know and has awful issues -- I didn't have my first cavity until 40 and still only have 2 with no root canals or crowns or whatever).

My niece wore braces and my sister begged her to take care of her "mouth". When she had her braces removed, all her were "rotten". She had the front 6 or 8 (can't remember) on the top and the bottom capped at 16! Needless to say her little sister took fabulous care of her teeth when she wore braces. I do remember my sister saying that my niece would have to get her teeth recapped again later because she was so young.

TerryJ2

Yes, braces add a whole extra layer, excuse the expression. I know so many people who didn't take care of their teeth with-braces, and how you can see the marks. Forever. :( Luckily, his teeth are straight. Strange, because both his bio parents had braces.

StressedM0mma

Um, doesn't his girlfriend complain that he has nasty breath/teeth? I would think that would be a major turnoff. Hope he learns from this.

TerryJ2

I know! He was good at brushing for awhile, and now he chews gum and uses mouthwash. Not the same thing ... we have tried to tell him. I will discuss it with him again. We had a therapist appointment today so maybe he will be more receptive.

I am about Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) on brushing, at least 4 times a day and my teeth are rotting from the inside out, same as my grandparents, mother and younger brother. The dentist says it's from all the soda and coffee I drink and refuses to listen when I say it hereditary and refuses to pull them cause I'm in my mid 30s. So for now I'll just wait till they are to the point I can't take it anymore and they are totally rotten then go her them pulled. My mom lost all her front bottoms by 24 so the fact that I've made it to my mid30s is a wonder in itself

pasajes4

It is interesting about the refusal to brush teeth. My son refuses to brush his teeth. I recall one of the many checklists I have had to fill out over the years, asked about his willingness to brush. I have since found out that the refusal, going ballistic, when asked to brush is a very common thing among people who are mentally ill. It is like asking them to slit their own throats. What has never been explained is what is behind the refusal. I know that for some it is a sensory issue, but for those who don't have sensory issues, I can't fathom why they would want to walk around with rotten teeth and stinky breath.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?