He refused court ordered drug test

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
I went to court today, the shelter brought difficult child I, SW met me there, the PO also showed up and she kept her distance from the SW (PO never returned SW's calls). PO also lied and said she'd done a drug test on difficult child I, via swabbing, but not when I was there, and SW asked difficult child I and he said it never happened.

Well the judge requires they have a drug test prior to entering his court room. difficult child I refused, stating he could not pee, but refused to drink any water. He was getting increasingly PO'd. Rolling eyes, etc etc etc

The judge wanted to remmand him to detention, but he sent him back to the shelter (which is in the same parking lot as detention) and if he leaves the shelter he goes straight to detention.

The PO wants him placed in a residential, the SW feels inhome services would be more helpful, but agrees he's less then a year from 18 and after 18 there will be no opportunity for residential anymore.

So well will see, difficult child I was seething mad when I left him at the courthouse, I know he's blaming me. sigh.................:faint:

Last edited:

meowbunny

Sorry, given his recent violence and attitude, I'd be pushing hard for residential. It may be the only chance to save him from himself. I think in-home services can be a great thing but it takes a long time for them to really work and, sadly, you don't have a long time.

As to the drug test, does he have any idea how lucky he is that the judge just ordered him back to the shelter? If the PO claims it was done with a swab previously, why couldn't the judge have ordered another swab test right then and there? I can't say I blame him for not wanting to pee in front someone. Even if completely innocent, that has to be a hard thing to do.

klmno

Wow- sorry all this is going on. Try not to let it get to you- I know it's easier said than done. I wonder why the PO is avoiding the SW? Anyway, it's a good opportunity to ask for what you think is best for everyone. Hang in there!!

B

bran155

I'm sorry it didn't go so well. I cant believe the PO lied about the drug test!!!! These people are unbelievable.

Don't worry about him blaming you, they all blame the parents. Who else are they gonna blame? Not themselves of course!!!!

Hang in there. :)

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
You really have been through the ringer... just letting you know I am thinking about you! Sorry it has to be so hard.

Lillyth

The only reason I can come up with for refusing a drug test is that you know it would come back positive.

I would also push for residential. I know it *****, but if you've only got a little time, the professionals being there 24/7 would probably make a bigger impact than IHSS...

klmno

I don't know AOG- think it through after finding out the processes and consequences, in my humble opinion. If he went to residential, could he walk when he turns 18 yo?

KTMom91

Not being able to pee for the drug test tells me that he knows he wouldn't pass. Why didn't the judge insist on any other options? Hair, blood, swab?

klmno has a good point...can the judge order residential for a certain amount of time, making him stay after the magic age of 18? I think CA Youth Authority can keep them till they're 22.

Sending hugs and prayers.

witzend

When does he turn 18? I'm sure that the judge felt rushed and wanted a result "right now". If he has a few weeks or months, it feels like he will meet up with the judge again, who would probably be happy to hold him until the end of the day to wait for him to pee. Or tomorrow...

I'm sorry he's being so awful. At least he's not being awful at your house. Enjoy it while you can... ;)