Head Went Right Thru The Window

Janna

Yeah.

D came home today visibly manic. Eyes bulging, again, flush face, rambling, racing thoughts. therapist at partial said (and his points confirm) a very inconsisent day of up and down behaviors.

He was very, very active. He was annoyed there wasn't anything he really likes (there is, but he means high carb fatty stuff like chips and cookies) for snack. He whined, I said "then don't have snack".

"You can f*ck yourself!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!".

Excuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuse me?????????

Calmly, walking over and taking points. That, in itself, was enough to lose video game privelages. So, he's walking behind me, "I want my PSP", "I want my PSP"...over and over and over. I'm washing dishes, doing laundry, chatting with B.

I tell D to go to his room and listen to his music to calm himself. He goes, slamming doors, throwing the laundry basket down the stairs (breaks into 100 pieces), slamming the baby gate upstairs against my bedroom door (broken now). Stereo is blasting. I walk up, open the door, and nicely ask him to turn it down. I don't wait for a response. I close the door.

He turns it down and starts spewing. "F'ing a-hole" (to who? I guess me, he was in there alone) over and over. Then the stereo goes back up.

I open the door, again to tell him to turn it down, and watch him throw his head through the glass. Shattered it. Head's all scratched up (thank GOD he didn't cut himself).

Called Crisis, then wondered why bother. Have to go to E.R. for 8-10 hours to wait, then up to the psychiatric hospital which is 2 hrs away. Last time I got to E.R. at 8 AM, got home at 2 AM. No thanks.

psychiatrist finally called (after I called her office and not so nicely told her secretary that if she's too busy to call me then to let me know and I'll find service elsewhere) and told me to give him a 100 mg. Seroquel LOL! That was her big advice. She has nothing else and nowhere to go with him. She's clueless. Nice, eh?

Told me to call MH/MR worker and tell her I have her recommendation for the psychiatric Residential Treatment Facility (RTF). This Residential Treatment Facility (RTF) is unlike the last - it's not all cushy with equine therapy and loads of play dates with the pets. Bogus. All psychiatric - mental illness related - and NO predetermined discharge dates (D got his discharge date at the last Residential Treatment Facility (RTF) upon admission LOLOL can you imagine?).

So, guess I'm going to tour this Residential Treatment Facility (RTF) soon. And, he will have to go. Wow - like, 4 weeks ago he was doing great. I mean, great. I had an appointment Monday to talk to the School District about mainstream LMAO! Now, this.

He is a very sick little boy. I can't even imagine what goes through his head. Of course, I've received an apology note and he wrote "I will not break stuff", voluntarily, on a sheet of paper (both sides, yet).

*sigh*

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Poor kid! Poor MOM! Sorry it's been such a chaotic day for you (and him). VERY glad he didn't seriously injure himself today! Hope the Residential Treatment Facility (RTF) is a good fit for him and they can figure out a better solution for him.

(((HUGS!)))

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
So sorry poor D is so unstable.
That would be about the same time I fired a few of our psychiatrist's! When my kid is threatening to kill herself or me, is it too hard to call the parent back or at least set up a realistic plan!
Obviously it is in some places!
Such a lame thing to have to deal with.
Someone has to have an answer for D and your family.

TerryJ2

Oh dear!
I'm glad he isn't hurt.
I assume he has cleaned up the mess by now?
I am so sorry he hasn't learned to deal with-those impulsive anger issues at all. :( Like you said, it was going so well ...
but if he's in an Residential Treatment Center (RTC), they can help him to manage anger episodes. It's a long haul. Practice, practice, practice.
Sigh.

B

butterflydreams

I am so sorry! Poor kid. Glad he didn't seriously hurt himself. Hang in there mom, I hope the Residential Treatment Facility (RTF) will help.

L

luvmyottb

Oh my! He is so lucky he didn't hurt himself. What a loser psychiatrist! I hope the Residential Treatment Facility (RTF) looks promising for him. Just sending strength and support. You did a great job ignoring his outbursts.

Janna

Thank you.

He has now downslid - into crying, whining, baby behaviors. It's almost like (do I dare even mention) split personality.

He was like an out of control 19 year old this afternoon. Now he is like my 6 year old Aspie, crying, begging me to play a game with him, sit with him, lay with him, rub his back, love him.

What the ?!?

So emotional. I haven't dealt with this in a while. Long while. Something is happening. Something's not right. psychiatrist wouldn't discuss d/c Buspar. Wouldn't discuss medications. Wouldn't talk about increasing Seroquel (daily - just told me to PRN today). Nothing.....nothing, nothing, nothing.

At least he's quiet. I'd guess he would be. He's drugged up.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so sorry. This sounds like a really tough day for the entire family. I hope you can find either a better psychiatrist or dev pediatrician or an Residential Treatment Facility (RTF) that will really help him.

He sounds very very ill. You may actually want to do some research on dissociation and dissociative states. I think timerlady may have resources on this when she is able.

I am amazed you are so calm. I would be a basket case.

Make sure the other kids are handling this OK. They may even need PRNs for anxiety - Jess and thank you did after Wiz came home from the psychiatric hospital first time and also during each of his home visits.

Gentle hugs,

Susie

Lothlorien

What a nightmare, Janna! YIKES! If Residential Treatment Facility (RTF) is where he needs to be, then so bet it. I hope this one works out better than the last one.

mstang67chic

Going Green
Geesh Janna...I'm so sorry. SOMETHING has to go right for you guys soon. I know docs don't know everything but they need to stop looking at his age, pull their heads out of you know where and get this poor kid figured out!

Hugs and a salt shaker.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Janna,
This sounds so scary, I'm very glad he is o.k. I know how much this must take out of you emotionally. That psychiatrist would be driving me crazy as well. Gentle hugs, I hope you are able to get some rest tonight.

Steely

Janna..........this sounds identical to my difficult child when he is manic. in my opinion he is not exhibiting dissociative states, instead he is coming back down from the roller coaster of mania, and landing, and this emotes many feeling that are not rage driven like regret, sadness, remorse, and being scared. Even though he is 12 he probably just wanted him mom to hold him because he was frightened and confused inside.

I think you need to fire your psychiatrist and find someone who will really work with you on medications. If he is bi-polar, than he needs to be on mood stabs. Is he on those yet? If so, they are not working, and they need to be changed. I think I would get his medications on track before you go the through the grueling Residential Treatment Center (RTC) tours and trials.

Many hugs - and keep us posted.

B

bran155

Janna,

I am sorry I am late to this. I had much drama myself last night, didn't have time to get on the computer.

I am so sorry. That sounds awful. I know the feeling of not wanting to go to the ER. What's the point right? I had to laugh at the Seroquol advice too. LOL Like that is all it takes, even if you could get him to take it!!! Did they not hear the part where he put his head through the glass??? Clueless!!!!!!!

You sound like you are holding up okay. You are a strong lady!!! Hang in there hun!!

(((HUGS)))
Shawna :)

TerryJ2

How's it going today? Window fixed? Head fixed?
Naw, didn't think so. ;)
I hope you get something going with-your difficult child soon. I'm sending strength.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
The roller coaster is no fun. And I have found that the crashes seem almost harder to take than the day in/day out. At least intially. Just realizing the additional emotion I have with a crash after a "good spell" has helped me deal with them better. Its almost like you mourn those "good times" in addition to having to now deal with the bs again, where as after you've been dealing with the bs for months on end, more bs is just status quo.

Anyway, I'm sorry you're having to deal with this. Its no fun. Hugs.

jannie

trying to survive....
I hope today was better....maybe the increase in serquoel can help knock out the mania...and he can remain at home. How long has he been home since his last Residential Treatment Center (RTC) placement? Hopefully something will work out with the psychiatrist. Are you still working?