Health AND Yummy!!!!!

Wiped Out

Staff member
Just tried this recipe tonight. It was delicious and even more amazing everyone in our family liked at least part of it which is a rarity in my family!

Roast Chicken with Garlic

1 (3 pound) chicken, skinned, cut into 8 pieces, and trimmed of all visible fat.
(I used boneless/skinless chicken breasts)
1 pound small red potatoes, scrubbed and quartered
20 garlic cloves, unpeeled
2 carrots, sliced (I used baby carrots)
2 sprigs of fresh rosemary (I used a bit more)
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
4 tsp olive oil

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a large roasting pan with olive oil nonstick spray. Combine the chicken, potatoes, garlic, carrots, rosemary, salt, and pepper in the pan. Add the oil and toss to coat.

2. Bake, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through, about 50 minutes.

It says to spread the garlic (5 cloves each) on the chicken.

For those following ww it is an 8 point meal. They also sugges adding a glass of Merlot.

N

Nomad

I really like the Edamame. It is almost fun eating them...so different. Our regular food store has them in the "gourmet" frozen section.

I have a recipe:

Fiber One Cookies
1 Hershey Bar (1.5 ozs)
1 Cup Fiber One Cereal
2 tablespoons Peanut Butter (low fat is best)

Slowly melt together chocolate and peanut butter. Mix in cereal. Spoon nine blobs onto waxed paper. Keep in refrigerator.

I hope to try this within in the next few days; but have heard from several people that they are yummy.

N

Nomad

Sharon...
ONE POINT....
I just made those little delights and :love-very::D let's just say I'm VERY pleased. Two thumbs up for the Fiber One cookies with- chocolate and reduced fat peanut butter (see recipe in my other post). Let me know if you make it.

This is a great thread...I'm going to have to double check on several recipes here. Thank you very much! :thumbsup:

LittleDudesMom

Nomad,

I think I'll try them! I actually have a fiber one choc bar every morning for breakfast with my coffee. I buy the large box at costco. Can't beat those 9 grams of fiber! And, easy child loves the fiber one carmel delight cereal.

Sharon

LittleDudesMom

Here's a great side dish I served at my cookout out on Sunday.

1 can of black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (small 11oz) kernal corn
1 tomatoe chopped and seeded
2 T minced fresh cilantro
1/4-1/2 C chopped red onion (i did heavy on the onion)

Put all that in a bowl. In another small bowl combine and whisk:

3 T fresh lime juice (usually one good sized lime)
1 1/2T EVOO
1/8 t garlic powder
Hot pepper sauce to taste
fresh ground pepper
dash of sea (or kosher) salt

Pour vinigarette over veggies, cover and refridg for at least 30 minutes.

Four servings, 3 points a serving. That is generous. I've already gotten four servings out of it and I'll have the last at lunch. Really good.

Enjoy.

Sharon

tinamarie1

One of my new favorite desserts:

Non Fried Ice Cream (supposed to be like fried ice cream that you get in mexican restaurants)

Vanilla Ice Milk (i couldn't find this, so we used sugar free vanilla ice cream)
1 cup crushed corn flakes
1 tbs cinnamon
1 tbs crushed nuts
honey

Scoop out how many servings you want into a "ball" and put on cookie sheet in freezer while you are mixing the crushed cornflakes, cinnamon and nuts. Take the ice milk balls out of freezer and immediately roll them in the mixture. Drizzle honey over the top. Serve right away.
Its yummee I promise!

LittleDudesMom

TinaMarie,

That sounds interesting. I've just found a good ice cream sub - Bryers Fat Free. They have the typical vanilla and choc, but also have a cookie one, a brownie one, and a carmel pralene. They are only 1 point for a 1/2 a cup serving on WW (and they have fiber)!

I think I'll try this with my Fiber One cereal and some crushed va peanuts I had to buy for a fundraiser with difficult child!

Thanks!

Sharon

LittleDudesMom

Hey Ladies!

I made this on Friday and thought you would enjoy it as we approach the time of the year when the farmer's markets are starting to bring in some nice fresh produce.

This gatzpacho was my dad's favorite. Put it in a big platic container and place it in the coldest part of your fridge. There is nothing better on a hot day than a great bowl of chilled gatzpacho!

Couple notes. There are a few prep options. I like my gatz chunky and uniform, so I hand chop everything. But, you can use the food proc or blender. Another option is to puree all the gatz (I've seen it served in rest this way) or just puree 1/2, which I might try next time.

I hope you enjoy it!

Sharon

2 pounds of vine ripe or plum tomatoes (the original recipe called for a 24 oz can of plum tom, diced plus the juice), chopped and seeded.
1 red onion, finely chopped
1 yellow or orange bell pepper, finely chopped (the original recipe called for a green pepper but I don't like them)
2/3 staulks of celery, finely chopped
1 cucumber, finely chopped (I like the English cuc because of the seeds)
2/3 cloves of garlic, finely chopped (I used 4 cause I love it!)
Couple T of fresh chopped parsely (I use the large leaf italian parsley and I use double-about 3/4 T)
1 C fat free/light zesty italain salad dressing (here's where you can modify and add 1/4 c white vinigar and 1/4 cup good evoo-I used the dressing because it's lighter, but the white vinigar and olive oil is pretty traditional)
1 1/4 C tomato juice (I use V-8 and I used about 2 cups + about 1/4 water)
Couple dashes of worchester sauce
Couple dashes of tobasco sauce
Lots of fresh ground pepper
Dash of sea salt (if you use the V-8, taste it first since that's pretty high in sodium - I guess you could use the low sodium variety if you are watching that)

Here's the deal. I suggest that you make it as the recipe calls for and then add more liquid until it is the consistancy you prefer.

N

Nomad

Good grief...
You guys are going to keep me busy.
That gazpacho sounds yummy.
Is it hard to make?
Okay...
How about this...
Pigs in a blanket
Cut ff turkey hotdogs into four pieces
Use Reduced Fat Crescent Dough made by Pillsbury
...Take each triangle of dough and divide into four sections.
Wrap each piece of hotdog up in the dough.
Bake on cookie sheet (no prep) for 12 minutes at 375 degrees.
Double check....don't let burn. Should be brown.
This is realllly good. Serve warm with- toothpicks. Mustard on side. Not sure of calories or points...will try to post later. Low fat/low cal.

LittleDudesMom

Here's a recipe JoG posted on a new thread and I moved it here so we could keep all the recipes together.

This may be one I have to try. I've not been a big fennel person, but I've found myself trying and enjoying some new things since this healthy eating has happened. It looks pretty light too since there's not too much cheese! Thanks JoG.

This is a recipe from Ghiada on the Food Network. It is sooooo delicious!

Ingredients

Directions
  1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
  2. Clean and cut the fennel bulbs: cut them horizontally into 1/3 inch thick slices and reserve the fronds.
  3. Take the reserved fennel fronds and chop enough of them to make 2 teaspoons; set aside.
  4. Spray the bottom of a 13 by 9 by 2-inch glass baking dish with olive oil.
  5. Lay the fennel slices in the dish, making sure that all the pieces are touching the bottom so that they roast rather than steam when they're cooking.
  6. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper, then with the Parmesan.
  7. Drizzle with the olive oil and bake for 45 minutes at 375 degrees F, until the fennel is tender and the Parmesan is golden brown.
  8. Transfer roasted fennel to serving platter, sprinkle with the 2 teaspoons chopped reserved fennel fronds, and serve.

LittleDudesMom

This recipe actually sounds like something I saw on "Taylor's Ultimate" on the Food Network this weekend. I wanted to try that one too. It called for a couple bunches of broccoli that you cut in fourths, lay on a cookie sheet, drizzle with olive oil and s&p and roast in the oven. When it is almost ready, you take and sprinkle it wht asiago cheese and then add back to the oven until th cheese has "hardened".

My opinion, put cheese on just about everything and I'll try it! Well, everything but brusselsprouts!!!!!!!!!!!! EEEEEKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!

Sharon

trinityroyal

Ooohh. That all sounds so delicious.

Here's one for all of you cheese lovers out there. This is something that husband makes with his breakfast. I tried it the other day and it was simply wonderful!

Fried cheese (I know...but it's actually lower in fat than un-fried cheese)

Take a thick-ish slice of good quality cheddar, preferably white cheddar.
Put it in a non-stick frying pan and heat over medium.
Let the cheese melt and then cook it until it bubbles. Lower the heat a bit and keep cooking it until the cheese turns golden brown.

With a spatula, lift the melted-cheese-glob-thingy onto a plate, and let it set for a few minutes.

While you are cooking, a lot of the fat cooks off the cheese, and is left behind in the frying pan. What you are left with is a crisp and crunchy cheese chip. It's the most amazing thing. Really yummy.

When husband's diet doctor heard about this recipe, he added it to the recipe booklet that he gives to patients.

Trinity

LittleDudesMom

All I can say is YUMMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When you are talking about the fat cooking off, are you talking about the oils?

Sharon

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Trinity, South Beach Diet has a recipe for baked cheese. Similar idea. You cut squares of cheddar or monterey cheese from those blocks, so they are 1" by 1" by 1/4" and lay them on a cookie sheet about 2" apart. Bake. They puff up and then come down and get crispy around the edges - delish!

LittleDudesMom

Here's a recipe I saw the other day on "Just Eat This" (Discovery Health channel). It is absolutely delicious! Eat it when the chicken is warm and the combo of the warm chicken, the crunch of the cool salad a cucumbers, with the feta is fabulous! Enjoy!

Sharon

Mediterranean Chicken Wrap

Ingredients
2 chicken breasts
1/2 lime
Olive oil
Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper
2 cups mixed salad greens, your choice
1/2 cup cucumber, seeded and diced small
2-3 ounces feta cheese crumbles
Roasted red pepper strips, the kind from a jar
Light Caesar Dressing
4 large whole wheat tortillas or wraps

Place chicken breasts in a large ziplock bag, add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil, season well with Kosher salt and fresh ground pepper and juice from half a lime — seal tight.

Using something heavy, flatten until the chicken is an even thickness of about 1/2 inch thick.

Heat a grill pan or skillet really well, and add chicken. You're probably not looking at more than 3 or 4 minutes a side (if your pan is hot enough) to cook the chicken yet still keep it moist — and moist is what you want.

Remove chicken from pan and cut into thin strips.

Dress salad greens with a little dressing (do this while the chicken is cooking). Warm wraps slightly in a microwave and put on flat surface.

Spread salad among the wraps and add to each: some chicken, some feta, some cucumber and some of the red pepper strips. Roll up, cut in half and serve.

Serves 4.

This is so easy, and it's good, healthy and filling!
Calypso Corn and Black Bean Salad

1/2 cup of lime juice (I squeezed 4 limes)
2 10oz package of frozen corn
3 cans black beans
1 can of white kidney beans
2 large red bell pepper diced
2 jalepeno peppers, seeded, minced
1 cup of fresh, chopped cilantro
3tbsp of veg oil
1tsp salt
1tsp sugar-I ommited this, still good
1tsp pepper

In a large bowl, mix everything together.
I opened the beans,put them in a collander, and ran water over them while I chopped everything

I got this recipe out of the Hallmark magazine, summer 2008-Alyssa