Health Plan for difficult child

Andy

That is it! This is getting too much! I am so tired of the throwing up, the school refusal, the whining, the "I am going to die" every single day!

I am working on getting his liquids increased so he does not dehydrate and getting more sleep at night and getting fruits and veggies in him. I am now wondering if he is purposely decreasing his water/gaterade intake to try to increase his symptoms to prove to us he is dying? This morning he actually went back to bed and rested in dark quiet room for 1/2 hour. I think he thought if he actually obeyed this one I would see the positive effects of his getting more sleep and let him stay home?

I am taking it up a notch. WRITING!!!! That is my answer to just about everything.

I am going to put a DAILY health plan into writing and make it into a check off list for him to follow throughout the day.

I am including:

Breakfast Time
medications Time
Water/Gaterade Time (if the bottle is not finished at this time, you finish it and start the next)
Meal Times
Fruits and Veggies to eat
Exercise Time
Bedtime Routine Time
Bed Time
Breathing exercises Times

Anything else you can think of that we can focus on throughout the day?

smallworld

Anxiety can cause all the sx he's experiencing. While structure with good health habits will definitely help, it will not prevent the sx from appearing. There's a chance his medications haven't fully kicked in yet. When they do, the sx should subside.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Chores time? Leave-mom-alone time? ;)

I think SW is probably right about this. Hope his medications start working better!

Andy

Yes, SW is probably right but if I can focus on something it may help ME? Give me something to turn his focus to. I like the chore time idea also.

DammitJanet

How much does he really know and understand about his health in general?

Does he know his height and weight and if he is in the correct proportions?
Maybe have a height/weight check each week and put that on a chart with a smiley face for good health...lol.

Teach him the food pyramid so he knows how to eat a balanced meal and give him a good children's cookbook so he can learn to make easy nutritious meals.

get him the water bottles from walmart in the little 8 oz bottles the first time and save them to use over and over. Tell him how many he needs to drink each day. He can put flavoring in them. The little bottles make it fun. They even have one shaped like a baseball.

This last little bit will sound weird. Keep some castor oil on hand and some regular vitamins from say GNC. The castor oil is for when difficult child is just purely faking things and you know it. It is your special medicine for those days. "Ok difficult child, I will get the medicine but then you really must lay in bed because you are sick." He wont like those days. LOL. The vitamins are to give him at night or in the morning because they are his new special pills to help keep him well. They have all kinds of special herbs and vitamins in them that are made especially for him. They have packs for teen boys with like 6 or so pills to the pack. That ought to impress him.

M

ML

I like the list thing. It works great for me. I have bathroom lists pasted on the wall (though he got mad at me and tore it down the other day, but I have an e copy saved lol). I'm sorry this is moving up a notch. Please, it can't be said enough, take time for you. Love, ML

Andy

Thank you everyone!

difficult child had a good handle on his health and what was needed to maintain it. However, he is getting more and more discouraged by feeling weird so often every single day. He seems to be giving up. I think this will help bring him back to working on it.

I did take time this weekend for myself. It was wonderful! I went to my sister's home on Friday night. Met a friend for pizza with my sister. On Saturday, I got a lot done in difficult child's graduation scrapbook (I have 6 more years to complete but am getting close to having it caught up). This morning my brunch plan didn't work out so I drove to my parent's home and spent much of the morning having mom help me with a design for difficult child's birthday gift. My mom embroiders so I bought a black dress shirt (short sleeve) and she will put the name we call him with the pins and ball on front left pocket and his "bowler's" name (variation of our last name connected with bowling) and a bowling ball with swirls on the back of the shirt. I hope I can keep it a secret until his September birthday!

difficult child does not know I went to Grandma and Grandpa's without him. He thinks I spent the day shopping.