Healthy living-how are we doing?

Wiped Out

Staff member
November is here (hard to believe) and I'm just wondering how everyone is doing?

Right now I'm a bit frustrated. I haven't been able to work out in over a week due to my back pain. I also haven't been eating healthy. Hopefully I will get back on track soon. I may try to ride on the bikes tomorrow (with a towel behind my back for support) if my back is feeling somewhat better.

I'm really hoping to do a better job of planning for meals (especially with the Thanksgiving holiday coming up).

It can be a difficult time of the year to make healthy choices, add in the stress of being moms to difficult children and it can be even more difficult. I hope everyone is doing well.

trinityroyal

Sharon--sorry to hear that your still having so much back pain, and that it's interfering with your workouts. It's hard to maintain an overall healthy routine when a key component of it is missing. Hope you're able to get in some exercise, but please make sure to take it slowly and baby it along. You don't want to re-injure yourself just when you're on the point of getting better.

I've been having a bit of a rough go lately. Pollen count seems unusually high this year, and I'm having some asthma symptoms that I haven't had for about 4 or 5 years. I also seem to be fighting a low grade sinus infection. Sore face, sneezing, headache and overall tiredness. Just don't have my usual get up and go.

And since I lost my job (posted about that in Watercooler), I've had to give up dance classes. I had been thinking about it anyway because they are INCREDIBLY expensive and a hard cost to justify, but I need to focus on putting food on the table, paying bills and such. I talked to one of my dance teachers, and she offers less expensive private lessons so I might look into that instead once the job situation settles down.

I think not having the routine of getting up and going to work has really thrown me for a loop. I sometimes go all day forgetting to eat, and by the time I remember I don't feel like it because it's nearly bed time. I have been trying to keep up with some exercise, bike rides and "driveway basketball" with Little easy child, but with my breathing the way it is, it's really hard to keep up with him. Lately, I just want to crawl into bed and stay there. Eat leftover halloween treats, read Archie comics and nap. Winter blahs? A spot of depression? Not really sure, but I'm feeling lacklustre.

Trinity

Wiped Out

Staff member
Trinity-I'm sorry you don't have your usual get up and go. I hope your sinus infection is clearing up and you are feeling better. I read on the wc that your husband got his job!:) Maybe you will be able to keep up with those dance lessons.

I think major changes are hard on us and sometimes it's good to take a bit of rest from the usual. I'm glad you are exercising even if it's a little and you don't feel like it. I think it is really important to be taking care of you. If you start to think that it is depression please don't hesitate to see a psychiatrist. Hugs.

LittleDudesMom

Sharon, thanks so much for doing an update post! You are right in your wonder that it's November already! The year has just swept by! Wondering if you made that bike ride and how your back is? I know you went to the doctor for both the back and the voice. Update on those appointments when you get a chance.

Trinity, I was glad to read that husband pretty much has the job - fingers crossed that it goes as expected tomorrow. So, now you can stop the stress eating and get back to work!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That was your drill sargeant talking! Seriously, I know how tough it is. I hope you can keep on dancing.

I'm still faithfully hitting the gym, after beginning a new routine week before last, but man did I eat some halloween candy over the weekend!!!!!!! I started this new routine because I had stopped the weight loss march and was just in a maintaining phase when I have much more to loose. Hopefully this new program will get me back on track.

Hope everyone is moving ahead with their healthy living choices - give us a update.

Sharon

Fran

Former desparate mom
Hi kids. I am making a plan to be fairly disciplined between now and Thanksgiving. That is the goal. Eat healthy with lots of water and 3 meals a day. Yada,yada,yada.
Between Thanksgiving and New Year's I figure if I keep to the routine all the days that don't have social functions I'll be ok. I intend to enjoy the treats when I am out. My biggest downfall every year is starting out with some extra calories/fat/sugar and then going into a downward spiral of eating way too much high calorie/high fat/high sugar. It goes from whole wheat cereal with skim milk and fruit to bacon, pancakes,and maybe a cinnamon roll. LOL. Throw in cream cheese, butter, salt and whipped cream and I can really be doomed through the holidays.

I suspect this will be my cross to bear the rest of my life. Moderation doesn't seem attainable for any significant length of time. It's either disciplined or a free for all. At least I pull myself up after a few weeks where before it was months and months before I put the brakes on.

Hope all of you feel better for your healthful eating and exercising.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Sharon-Good for you for starting a new routine. It is easy to get stuck in a workout rut (especially when it worked in the beginning). Don't worry too much about the Halloween candy-as long as it doesn't keep you off track it'll be o.k.

Fran-Moderation is hard. I'm the same way, I can be very disciplined sometimes for long periods of time to the point where I start to think maybe I've got this eating thing licked and then something gets me started and I have a hard time starting with the eating thing. I think it's good you have a plan about helping yourself through the holidays-we tend to do better when we have plans.

As for my physical therapy-it's going o.k. He did some deep pressure stuff that hopefully will start to help. He wants to see me once a week (won't be able to happen right now with all the appointments for everyone else but I'll get there as often as possible). I did work out last night for the first time-40 minutes on the elliptical machine but I took it very easy. It felt good but I was unable to make it tonight due to therapist appts and now I'm just too tired to go.

On to my voice therapy and ENT appointment. They found scarring on my vocal folds. They're not sure why they are there again. The voice therapist's recommendation is to do a one day intensive voice therapy to learn to use my voice better. She thinks I'm probably compensating in ways that hurt my voice.

On Dec. 2nd I will have 8 hours (one hour off for lunch) of intensive therapy-I will see 4 different voice therapists that day. If after a couple months after that things aren't better I'll need more surgery.

SRL

I feel like I'm floundering in every area of my life that requires discipline--eating, cleaning, paperwork, etc. I just realized how out of sorts I've been and this is only half the problem. The other half is that things that used to really anchor me (volunteer work, having an intellectually meaty project, spending time on church work, etc) have been missing this school year. Trinity, I'm in the same situation as you in that not having any routine is really throwing me for a loop. I'm going to start a new thread on setting goals for just today because I need to take a positive step forward--it's really impacting how I feel about myself and is contributing to a cyclical problem.

Oh, and for the eating, this week I ate a jar of peanut butter with a spoon. I didn't think even a pb fan as myself could accomplish such a feat, but on about day 4 of a 10 day cycle of prednisone I started plowing through it. Feels like a direct line IV of fat...

I sincerely applaud those of you who have made forward steps. Now off to make a goal thread for today.

trinityroyal

SRL, it's funny isn't it how NOT being busy and overwhelmed can be as hard or even harder than being busy and overwhelmed.

I saw my therapist yesterday and was telling him about my malaise and general down-in-the-mouth-ish-ness. He said that I'm likely a bit depressed because I feel as though I have lost my purpose. He said that I seem to have mixed feelings--part of me wants to be up and doing, but another part of me wants to just laze around.

His recommendation was that I just roll with it for now. He said that my nature is to be a Type-A go-getter so eventually I will get on with doing everything that needs to be done, but for now I should just go easy on myself and not set myself up for failure by cramming the to-do list full of things that I'm just not going to get done right now.

As for the eating...I seem to be doing a combination of stress eating AND stress starving. I will forget to eat all day, and then when I'm ravenous I will polish off a mitful of leftover halloween candy and a cup of tea. Eating nothing but cr@p is a recipe for disaster if ever there was one...

Sigh.

LittleDudesMom

SRL,

Prior to the "dark times" with difficult child - fall of 2003 into spring of 2004 - I used to do tons of stuff outside my "mother and wife" responsibilities. I used to substitute teach, I used to kindergarten aide, I used to direct children's dramas at school and church, I used to lead the children's choir at my church, I was the assistance financial director at church, yada, yada, yada......

When difficult child began having tough issues, it affected me in two ways. Health-wise, I didn't sleep well at all and I found myself (sorta like your peanut butter jar) comforting with food without consciously being aware of it. That's when I began packing on the additional 75 pounds on top of my already overwieght self.

The second area was in my volunteer and special interest stuff. Not only did I not have the energy anymore, but I felt like I had to always be within phone and "rush to school" contact. I could no longer take difficult child along to rehearsals and such because I couldn't trust him and was embarrassed by his behavior and it just exhausted me.

I began slowly giving up the things that made me happy. But the second part of the equation is that I did need to give up some things because difficult child needed the calm, quiet time to get himself "back in order". He needed to come home from school and do nothing.

The change in activity and structure was telling in the activity level. I was eating more and moving less. Never a good combo!

I've slowly begun to gather up myself again. I now am very, very, very aware of the time I give of myself to others. My priority is myself and my children. I will not do for others if it sacrifices my energy or needs of the kids. I first look at my needs before going outside myself. Then, I look at the needs within my church before going out in the community - priorities.

I've also found, that since becomming a home mom, that maintaining a schedule really helps. I make that list every Sunday night and have specific days I do certain chores. It keeps me on task.

I think that any change in our lives throws other areas out of wack. As long as we recognize it, that's half the battle. Your medications are definately a weight adder. I remember when easy child was on the pred I tried my darnest to have healthy food within her grasp! On the counters, right in the front of the fridge, etc.

Trinity, I agree with your doctor. You had such a busy summer, you could use this down time for a little while. Use it to accomplish some things around the house that went neglected while you were away so much. Use it to contact old friends. Hand write notes in your Christmas cards. Clean out closets and drawers for old winter clothes, coats, hats and gloves to give to a shelter. And, for sure just take a nap on the couch!!!!!!!!!!

I am most imporessed that you still have Halloween candy left!

Sharon

busywend

Horrible. Just horrible. I think my medications are making me eat more. Or that could just be my excuse, I don't know. I think I read one of the side effects is weight gain (Wellbutrin). Anyway, the good news is the racing, weird thoughts have diminished quite a bit! Phew/whew!

Oh and I am terribly busy at work with taking on the role of 2 people. Still in transition, but it is the worst time of year for this in Finance!

M

ML

What a great thread!

This year I realized I have zero control over my life. I've accepted that my attempts to gain that control in some areas have been fruitless. I have to go to the one day at a time plan for now. I also want to read SRL's thread on goals. I want to set them, VERY realistically for myself. Working with a verbally abusive boss, coming home to a (thankfully in recovery yippee) foul tempered alkie, dealing with meltdowns and school issues have me spread thinner that what is healthy. I also think I want to come off medications for myself but today isn't the day lol. I hate that I rely upon them and just hope that some day I won't need that tool which brings side effect I don't want.

Weight wise I'm the same as this time last year but I've gained and lost about 8 pounds several time. That can't be good lol.

ML

I haven't been on this thread in awhile, I thought I was doing good, however. But my pants fell completely down this morning./Just now I did the dirty deed and weighed myself again. I'm the lowest I've weighed since I was 12 years old. I too scared to get some help. I guess I'm thinking I'll ignore it, but then I have these moments of sanity where I know I'm way too skinny (like now). Usually I think I'm fat, what's that all about? I'll call my insurance company tomorrow and I'll tell you what happens. Thanks for listening.-Alyssa

M

ML

UAN Please don't ignore it and know that it's ok to get help. We are here to support you. You aren't alone. PM me any time and keep posting! Hugs, ML

trinityroyal

Alyssa,
Please don't ignore this. Keep posting to let us know how you're doing.
I've had serious problems with food and starving too. I do understand. It's very hard.

Please don't be scared to get help.

We're here for you.

Trinity

ML and TR, Thank you for the concern, I'm sorry I feel like I bared my soul. I never did anything, but tomorrow I'm going to see my family doctor and I will discuss this with him. I have such a bad cold so I will definately go. He was concerned about my weight when it was 103 a few months ago, we'll see. Thank you.-Alyssa