Healthy Living -WHERE ARE YOU? WE NEED U

Star*

call 911........call 911
I was just reading some older posts from 9-10 weeks ago and how many of us were trying to get on board with the healthy living/diet/non-smoking etc.

How many of us are there really? The list seems to have grown smaller and I'd like the rest of us still doing this to ENCOURAGE those missing to come back. Without support I'm afraid we're diminished in numbers.

SO WHO IS HERE -

Doesn't matter if you are 10 weeks into it - or just starting or recommitting -

WE NEED YOU!!!

LittleDudesMom

Star,

You are absolutely right. When JJJ posted how she really wanted to loose weight in the new year, there were pages of folks echoing her thoughts. That's why this board was born.

Were is everyone?????

I would like to think perhaps you are lurking and not comfortable with sharing, but as Star said, we need a good support group here! We are in this together - there is power in numbers ladies!!

Come on, jump in and join us.

Sharon

crazymama30

Well, my journey began on Valentine's day. I have not smoked, and am still working out. I have dieted, per say, but I am at least aware of my poor choices now, and am trying to make better ones. I have been trying to drink V-8 juice, but it has so much sodium in it! I tried the low sodium kind and it tasted like tomato sauce. Blech!!

I have lost a whopping 4, count them 4 pounds. That was over a week ago. I really hate to see how much I weigh, its demoralizing.

Loving Abbey 2

Not really a Newbie
I am 1 1/2 weeks in. I am trying to stay motivated. I wish I had more results than sore muscles. I know all good things are worth fighting for. I know the results will come if I keep at it. Time passes so slow sometimes!

I'm just having a hard day. The universe keeps kicking my butt--especially financially. And add PMS to the mix and well I'm all done today! I'm going to bed early. I deserve some sleep (even if it is medication induced!).

I am really looking forward to being happy with my body. I really, really, want to be able to go to the beach this summer. I love the beach! It is my favorite thing to do. I don't want to live one more summer where I don't go to the beach or go and don't swim because of my body. I want to wear a bathing suit and be comfortable. There are so many limitations in my life that I can not change. This one that I can and I just want to live life.

Wiped Out

Staff member
I'm here! I know I haven't responded lately to many posts-not an excuse but with difficult child in the hospital and the time leading up to it I was feeling a bit down to post much. I'll be better!

trinityroyal

I'm here, doing a little cha-cha in the corner.
Still working on the long-standing emotional baggage (gosh, that's hard)

And still cheering on everyone who's taken on this challenge. It's hard hard work, and I'm so proud of all of you.

Trinity

Star*

call 911........call 911
Well I think we should FIND that post again - and make a list and then EVERYONE that is still doing it send a PM or a post to encourage others to come back to the island.

I'm freely stating I went off the whole thing. But I'm back. This is what is working really, really well for me- I bought these packaged vegetable soups that you mix with water, than I added lots of corn, beans and more veggies. I have been eating this for every meal. I'm full after eating, that's always been the problem, I need to be full or else it will catch up with me. I was away for a week and that ruined my diet, I don't go on vacations often, and I wanted to really eat, and drink, etc....Stupidly I screwed up my weight. Now, I'm back to week 1. I can never lose these last 5 pounds. My weight is at 105, I never feel good unless I'm at 100. I'm a total nutcase, I feel like a fat pig. You guys are the only ones who I can talk to about this.-Alyssa

M

ML

Star you are so great. Thank you for your post. I'm feeling fat, frazzled and fuzzy... so I bought a book with that title. I need to balance my hormones!

Beyond that I am discouraged. I feel so old. Fat, bald (alopecia) and unattractive. I used to call my bad days "short fat and bald days" but now I feel like it's the norm.

I'm sorry that I haven't been a better team mate in this. I will try to do better.

Michele

tiredmommy

My name is tiredmommy... and I'm a Healthful Living lurker.

I started in earnest on 3/4. I've went from 178 lbs down to 170 lbs in that time. I have a hard time finding the time to work out, but I'm making a conscious effort to drop other things from my life so that I will have time to take care of me in the coming months. I will never be this fat again, I swear it. My goal is to get back to working out 4 to 5 times a weeks. I'm doing much better with food... I'm eating about 40 grams of fiber a day. I'm full a lot of the time and don't feel as much need to snack. As a bonus, it helps to control my IBS symptoms. I'm also working on portion control, it's helping a lot too.

Star,

I'm glad you started this!!! I haven't been able to come to this Board much lately, but I've been thinking of everyone who is bravely beginning the journey to a healthier lifestyle... It definitely is lots of hard work!!! However, I know all of us CAN DO IT!!!

Sharon, I agree with you - There is power in numbers!!!

crazymama30, Stop beating yourself up!!! You're doing great!!! No smoking, working out, and losing 4 pounds is no small accomplishment!!! Take it one day at a time... YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Loving Abbey 2, I LOVE your attitude!!! I agree that this is one area in your life that you have the power to change!!! As you work out, in your mind, visualize the warm sun...smell the salty air...feel the soft sand...hear the crashing waves...YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

Sharon, You've had lots going on lately with difficult child 2. I'm glad you're here. Don't feel badly about not posting as much as usual - You've been going through alot...Thinking of you...

Trinity, I agree with you - Emotional baggage is very difficult to unload!!! You inspire me because you enjoy exercising so much - You've got a great attitude!!!

Alyssa, YOU ARE NOT A FAT PIG!!! Please be easy on yourself...

Michele, I'm glad you're here... Try to take it one step at a time... Trying to do too much at once can be so overwhelming. You're here - You are working on a healthy lifestyle!!! Do something nice for yourself today... YOU CAN DO THIS!!!

TM, 8 pounds in 18 days!!! Way To Go!!! You're doing great!!! Don't be a stranger around here!!!

Star, once again, thanks for posting this!!! We CAN do this together!!! WFEN

Fran

Former desparate mom
Hi guys, I have been out of town for almost a week. I am doing fairly well. I fall off the wagon(like Easter week) with healthy eating but seem to be doing ok most of the time. Malted milk balls are like catnip to me.
I have gotten down to a weight I think is appropriate for a 52yr old woman but I seem comfortable continuing to take an additional 5 to 10lbs off for a little more comfort. I always gain weight when I move but I nipped it in the bud this time. I gained only half of what I normally did and started to get back into the routine. My biggest downfall is grazing. Not sitting down to a good filling meal but picking all day and thinking I didn't eat much.
Weight wise, I'm fairly happy. I have not however, increased my activity. I walk almost daily but not to the point of real aerobic exercise. I need some weight training to keep muscle mass as well. It will be my next hurdle.
I haven't smoked in years but I was not a serious smoker since I quit before getting pregnant. 2 or 3 a day but even that has fallen by the wayside for at least 3 or 4 yrs. Don't miss them. Don't miss the stink of cigarettes. The money I save goes for a manicure every 2 wks.

My next step in the healthful living is getting my "nest" more organized. The move has really slowed me down in terms of getting everything together. I don't feel very efficient. It's something I am going to tackle next. I seem to have become overwhelmed and thus somewhat impotent in accomplishing the goals. Not my normal pattern in the past so I need to address it so that I feel more settled and more myself.

It's good to remind ourselves that we need to look at small steps with the larger goal in mind. Not to beat yourself up if you stumble but to pull ourselves up and take the next step. Work on 2 less cigarettes a day or losing 2 lbs or walking a little farther today. If you don't make that goal, try again. Maybe cleaning one closet or washing one window makes you see you are able to accomplish a set goal. Baby steps forward.

I don't like to talk a lot about weight loss success because A) I think it sometimes discourages others who are struggling B) I could and have easily gained it back.
I have lots of things I struggle with and weight is my all time biggest hurdle but as I have aged I don't want my life to be on hold until I'm a particular weight. I'm trying to see other things that may be more easily accomplished as helping me grow the whole package of who I am.

To those of you who keep telling yourself "I'm fat. I'm a pig. I'm a loser" I say that isn't working so stop it. Change the tape to "I can do it today. I am better than a number of the scale. I deserve to enjoy myself for who I am". It may be a better way to self talk yourself into more peace in your life. Just a thought. If something isn't working for you, change it. If something's broken, get expert opinions and fix it. Suffering doesn't do much to improve the quality of your life. Gratitude in what is good in your life does a ton to nurture your soul and your self image.

Tomorrow is the start of a new day and any one of us can change one thing to improve the life we live.

WFEN, you are SO inspiring and such an inspiration. I haven't been to this forum much because I fell off that wagon, flat onto my face, and I do believe the wagon ran over me. But every time I jump on this forum, I read you giving someone encouragement.

It is so wonderful to see that. Thank you so much for being you.