Heard About This Yesterday

susiestar

Roll With It
I saw a commercial online for this "new" product. I am NOT pushing ANY kind of decision, or advocating one.

I just thought, as parents of kids who try all sorts of things, that it might be useful at some point to know this exists.

It is called Plan B and is a hormone used to help prevent a pregnancy after another form of birth control has failed. It does NOT terminate a pregnancy. It makes it harder for the egg to be fertilized and harder for a fertilized egg to attach to the lining of the uterus.

You do NOT need a prescription for it as long as you are 18 or older. I think it is SCARY because of the side effects. Used with a doctor's oversight and protection as it would have if it were prescribed then I would be more comfortable about it.

As it is I see a LOT of potential for problems with girls taking it for regular birth control or relying on it rather than taking more appropriate precautions. It also scares me because what will happen if the girl becomes pregnant? I don't know how it would effect a fetus.

It IS harmful to a baby if the mother is breastfeeding.

Here is a link to info about it: http://health.yahoo.com/other-other/levonorgestrel-emergency-contraceptive/healthwise--d00557n1.html

I am NOT trying to stir up any controversy. I just know that often our girls (or our son's girlfriends) are at risk for many potential problems with pregnancy scares.

I think we parents need to know about ALL the potential treatments open to our kids. That is the ONLY reason I am mentioning this.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Knowing what's out there is always good for a parent to know in my opinion. :)

Thanks Suzie for providing this information.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
IIRC, this is nothing more than the double or triple dose of BC docs used to recommend if you were on the Pill and "whoopsed".

Only difference is that you can now get the treatment without being on the pill or seeing a doctor.

Glad to see it.

In an idea world there would be no reason for abortions, but that sure as heck isn't going to happen in our lifetimes.