Heard from difficult child....finally.....

S

Signorina

That's great news - and I think all of us difficult child moms know exactly what you mean. It's about reaching out to our child within the difficult child.

I was talking to my mom about it this morning. I don't mean to be religious - but I can't help thinking about the biblical story of "The Prodigal Son." Only because it's a comfort to me to realize that OUR story of parenting difficult children is a tale older than time. Not something WE did wrong, it's a universal experience that cuts across time, culture, and demographics.

Most of us admit to being rebellious and slightly out of control (tho under the radar) at least once in our formative years. We all managed to turn it around and learn from it. While it's true that we know those who didn't learn from it (or worse), there are far more happy endings than not. And while I hate to go all pollyanna; seeing a glimpse of the easy child within the difficult child is what gives us hope.

And hope is a good thing - especially when we have a grip on the reality and do not enable. And the strength in numbers here combined with the soft landing place plus the encouragement and gentle reminders "not to enable" is what gives me the ability to function, literally to put one foot in front of the other.

(FWIW, I went to a HS bff's spectacular wedding last weekend. She was a card carrying difficult child from age 15 until 19 and floundering until about age 35. Alcoholic diagnosis'd at age 17 (but sober since 18),went to rehab, broke off an engagement to a really great guy at 22, has years and years of AA under her belt but she had many false starts school wise (college, art school, massage school, etc), and many false starts career wise. Lover of bad boys (and a preacher's daughter), she dated rebels from the day we met at 15. Punk rockers, burnouts, drop outs, even an abuser. A week ago, she married the man of her (mother's) dreams: a squeaky clean cut, educated, successful man (employed by a military college no less) and is incredibly happy and one of the most stable people I know. So, never give up hope. )

Last edited by a moderator:

DammitJanet

im glad the date with your daughter was fun. I think that is what keeps us going on. I get accused of seeing Cory with overly rose colored glasses and his father and Jamie can see him in the real light. I say they are too jaded. Especially Jamie who doesnt seem him but two times a year at most. Jamie can irritate me at times over his brother because he wants to compare themselves on a somewhat uneven and unfair playing field. Jamie has strengths and advantages that Cory doesnt and never had. Cory is doing the best he can I think.

Star*

call 911........call 911
PatsM

Glad you finally got to see her in person, I know what a relief that can be. As for the other stuff? I chalk it up on a side of the board I rarely show anyone other than here because I just get so tired of the 'I told you so' looks. I keep waiting for the day when I realy get to be right about more than they are regarding my difficult child. Not sure how I'm going to react to it, but I can tell you I've certainly got that "I told you so" look down to a fine art. Ever ever hopeful - but constantly constantly detaching.

Hugs
STar

P

PatriotsGirl

Yes, it was such a relief to see her (and see her look good and not like a strung out mess) and I agree with you all - it is very nice to see that positive side. Sometimes all we see is the dark side and that drives me into a darker place...

I re-read everything I wrote. So funny, my ADD comes through even in typing...gosh, I am all over the place! LOL.

husband brought up a great point - a person needs a photo ID to have a job. She lost her permit eons ago...therefore, she couldn't really be working anywhere. I am really trying to just let go now. I keep telling myself she is an adult, she isn't asking me for a thing except the sim card which is minor, and she is living her life - time to just let her live it. I love her dearly, I pray for her everyday, I thank God for watching over her thus far and I can't wait for the day she becomes a productive, admirable adult. It will happen, someday. I have faith. But, I also have my own life to keep living and there is SO much going on in it right now!

Thank you so much everyone for all of your support - you are ALL THE BEST!!!! :D

InsaneCdn

a person needs a photo ID to have a job. She lost her permit eons ago...therefore, she couldn't really be working anywhere
It is possible to get photo ID that is just ID, if you don't have a drivers permit.
Here - its $10... so, well within reach of affordable.
She may have gone that route?