Heartbreaking news for the Travolta family

DDD

I don't follow news of the stars but I just read that J.T.'s young son died and based only on that one posting (I assume fairly accurate?) the teen either was autistic or had seizures or ???

Losing a child as CD family members have learned is really painful. Somehow I think it may be even worse when you are an international star and everyone is trying to write about it. How sad. DDD

Jena

Wow I love Kelly and John Travolta how incredibly disturbing for their family. THanks for sharing this. I'm going to follow the story it sounds likes theres more info. I wonder what type of illness he had.

how devastated they must be, right there in their bathroom.

tiredmommy

DDD, I'm going to merge our threads. I can't imagine losing a child, let alone being under scrutiny. My prayers go out to this family. :(

DDD

Thanks, TM. Once I finished my post...I saw yours, lol. Then I realized that I no longer know how to delete a post since the site changed. Phew/Whew! Thanks. DDD

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I had read reports that his son was Autistic and had seizures. Johns sister lives up in Coeur d'Alene, where I lived for over 10 years, he spent a ton of time up there, they did a lot of Theatre there.
I don't know with him being a Scientologist if they medicate or *believe*? I am not that knowledegable on Strict Scientologists.

Whatever the facts, the story is still very sad and he is a young man who lost his life far too early.

TerryJ2

Yes, I just saw the headline and remembered that they had a special needs child.
They did struggle for many yrs, trying to combine their Scientology beliefs with-the "beliefs" of genetic predisposition, and seem to have finally come to terms with-their son just being who he was. (Scientologists believe you can "clear" yourself of various issues form other lives, and if you have something neurological, they have no way to explain it or deal with-it. They are VERY anti-psychiatrist so I highly doubt their son was on any medication.)

No matter what their history, it sounds like a sad accident that could happen to anyone. My heart goes out to them.

Jena

I had a feeling i'm glad you guys shared that, when i heard seizures I right away felt autism yet didnt' want to speculate. My heart goes out to them, i cannot even imagine losing a child and such a horrifying freak accident.

Steely

This is unbelievably sad. Heartbreaking.

His son suffered from Kawasaki disease. The mom said she blames the disease on cleaning agents she used when she was pregnant. I don't know, about that whole thought process, but I do know this disease has cardiac problems as part of the diagnosis.

So sad......
And really kind of weird that with all of the power he had to speak out about his son's illness and gain some money for research, that he never once mentioned this rare disease his son suffered from (at least that I know about).

gcvmom

Here we go again!
... with all of the power he had to speak out about his son's illness and gain some money for research, that he never once mentioned this rare disease his son suffered from...

Nor did I -- and in my opinion, that is incredibly tragic as well.

Jena

Steely wow i didn't know that. you never know, maybe it was really important to them to keep his life and their's private. Their one of those families you really don't hear much about. They've managed to keep their family life private, which i can't even imagine how hard that must be living their lives. it's just really really sad.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Part of me finds it hard to believe that there is no family involvement in educating the public but regardless they are entitled to raise their child and maintain their privacy if they choose. It's none of my business.

I'm sorry the mom feels like it's her fault that her son has disabilities. You always want to believe that we have gotten past blame.

I have no idea what this young boy had or didn't have or whether he was medicated or not.
It's just a family tragedy.

tiredmommy

When I posted this it is because I am deeply saddened that a family is suffering such a horrific loss. Let's please keep the discussion off the Scientology tangent as we avoid discussing religion on this site.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I attended a fundraiser in Chicago for Kawasaki Disease a few years ago.
One of the biggest problems the parents said, whose child had had it, was that most doctor's know nothing about. Nor even recognize the sx.

It is still a shame for the Travolta family regardless of any of the facts.