Heat Lamp or what???

K

Kjs

easy child received a MicroBrewery kit. This is what he asked for. We have a work room/area in the basement. Laundry room area. Basement is finished and this is where his room is also. But, some times the room is warmer (if doing laundry) and sometimes it is a bit cool.
After reading some of the instructions, once he makes the beer he has to let it ferment(sp?) for 40 days. At which it needs to be at 27 - 29 decrees celcius. Which after converting that it is 80 - 84 decrees F.
I thought of a heat lamp such as the pet stores have. But would that get too warm? What else could be used? He could build a boxed in area to put on the work area. Even put a cover on it.
I don't know what else to do. Anyone have suggestions?

Josie

I don't know about keeping it warm enough. We live in Texas where it is usually pretty warm in the house. I don't remember my husband making special arrangements for heat. The second time he made it, he didn't get it closed properly so there was a slow leak and it all ran out of the keg, ruining our carpet. After that, he used the bathtub for fermenting. Just something else to think about.

meowbunny

My dad made beer long before there were microbrewers. He used to just stuff the bottles into a closet and let them ferment. Of course, there was the year the bottles exploded. That was the end of any brewing at home per my mother.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I have no idea if it would work or not, but might look into a fish tank heater. Keeps fish tank water at a set temp regardless of outside temp and they aren't that expensive (they don't cool it, of course, just heat)

susiestar

Roll With It
Several of our friends have tried the "just bottle it and let it ferment" - most of them have had exploding bottles. One stored quite a bit of his homebrew in our garage fridge (beck when we had a garage). We frequently heard bottles "popping" and would have HIM come over and clean the fridge after work. I wasn't doing it!!

Good luck, I think a fish tank or reptile heater sounds like a good thing. We saw several on sale just before Christmas, so maybe they still are?

Star*

call 911........call 911
Maybe do a Google search on line -

My Great Grandfather and Grandfather used to make liquor with a still in the basement. They kept 3 huge black snakes down there to keep the rats away from the grain. My dad said someone once left the lid off the barrel - and commented that there is nothing funnier than a 6' long, drunken snake.

->>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>:-<

I know - I'm no help - could there be a number to call in the instructions? Google the company that makes the kid?

meowbunny

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Star*</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Google the company that makes the kid?

</div></div>

Don't usually comment on typos, but sorry, Star, I can't resist. Do you think we could find this company that makes kids and will it do it to our specifications or will they all be beer-drinking swills? :rofl:

mstang67chic

Going Green
I don't think a heat lamp would work as you can't control the temperature. Depending on the money you/easy child want to invest, I recently picked up a nice space heater for my aunt. It's the tower kind, oscilates and had a thermostat. You could set the preferred temp and it only ran long enough to get the heat to where you wanted it at, just like a furnace. I don't know how it would affect your electric bill but can't be worse than a steady heat lamp could it?

Just a thought.

And yeah, I'll take that number too if you find it! LOL

Hopeless

....Hopeful Now
I was reading this and also need to ask for that number for kids. I have been looking for a "manual" for years. LOL

I am sorry but I do not have any suggestions on keeping the temp. for your brewery.

Star*

call 911........call 911
PFT - hahahah

Yes, anyone interested in a kid can call ME and you may have MINE -(for 3 days) that should do it.

I know you are all dying to have one like mine! MWAH ha ha

Bunny - good catch!

K

Kjs

With your info I have decided I am going to get him one of those big plastic totes. I saw one yesterday at Walmart that would easily fit 40 bottles. That way if they explode, it will be inside the tote.

As for the heat, we have a space heater and we think the room will be warm enough. If not, we'll turn it on for a short time several times a day. He told me it stays in the keg thingy for a few days and bottling is the last step. They are plastic bottles with screw on tops. Still, going to keep them in a tote. Can even put warm towels or something around it.

And Star...that made me chuckle. Caught me off-guard on the kid thing.