Heat wave - we need a fantasy vacation!

slsh

member since 1999
The Winter forthcoming is predicted to be one of the coldest, snowiest and nastiest on record.

Seriously Star, as a lover of heat and sun and all things summer, this has to be the most awful prediction I've heard to date - especially in light of the darn blizzard earlier this year. Worse???? Just shoot me now.

I live for the heat. Have been really grumpy that I had to work and miss out on the oven-like temps. Was hoping it would last thru the weekend. Not a huge fan of the humidity, but yesterday didn't feel too horrible in terms of the moisture - just lovely glorious baking heat. :beach:

Our grill was registering 200+ degrees yesterday - without any fire in it.

Just had one *heck* of a cold front blow thru here - temp probably dropped 20 degrees in about 5 mins, no joke. We have (had) a glass table outside that is now in a gazillion pieces - I don't know if it was the rapid temp drop plus cold rain, or the umbrella blowing horizontally that did it in (though last big storm, the umbrella just popped out and flew over the house, so ... I'm leaning towards temp variation).

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Wow Sue, I didn't know the temp variation could shatter a glass table. I thought they made them a specific way to help with that?

I've noticed a trend. The hotter the summer, the colder the winter. Doesn't always happen, but usually does. So not so surprised about the prediction for the upcoming winter. Despite the heat, I'm preparing somewhat now. Crocheting my lil fingers off. Huge crib blanket for Oliver, apartments are drafty as all get out, and after last winter Nichole knows just HOW drafty hers is. And I'm making up some hats, scarves, and mittens. Crocheted ones tend to be somewhat warmer than those you buy in the store because they're a lot thicker.

I figure that way I'm getting more benefit out of my AC which I don't dare turn off right now or I wouldn't be able to breathe. Well, I'm telling myself it's yet another benefit to the AC as I certainly wouldn't be able to crochet without it on. The yarn would stick to my hands. lol

Of course, not thrilled with what a super cold/snowy winter will once again do to my gas bill. Was thinking of installing a wood stove.........the stoves aren't that expensive........instillation evidently can bankrupt a person. omg!

All I know is, I went to the beach and planned to spend the day, after 2 hours I could not breathe. I left and for about 4 more hours I still couldn't get air. It was supposed to be 104. Crazy...

My father in law has a wood stove, they are awesome.

keista

Temps just dropped here by over 15 degrees. *almost* feels chilly at 81. It's due to afternoon/evening storm build up.

KTMom91

I'm all right with a cold winter...you can always put on more layers, but there's a limit to what you can take off and still go out in public. I realize that, being a Californian, I'm a bit spoiled...and again, I bow down to those of you who deal with snowy weather.

tiredmommy

I'm all right with a cold winter...you can always put on more layers, but there's a limit to what you can take off and still go out in public. I realize that, being a Californian, I'm a bit spoiled...and again, I bow down to those of you who deal with snowy weather.

Mary... maybe we can swap weather come the middle of January? :rofl:

H

HaoZi

Slsh it could be either or a combination. We got winds here that knocked the canopy off a gas station up north and I've seen plenty of signs and whatnot knocked over down here.