Heat Wave

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
It's so hot that I washed my dishes and wound up wetter than they were. Badump bump. (wow that was bad LOL )

Seriously though, I know there are probably others with higher temps right now, especially out west............but 90 something with a high humidity is pretty darn bad for May. And it's cramping my work ethic by a ton.

I have ac window units but I refuse to put them in the windows to avoid the temptation to use them, because I can't in no way shape or form afford to run ac. Not after the utility co's rate hike.

Instead, we're using box fans. Travis has one in his bedroom, I have one in mine. (upstairs so you can imagine how hot it gets) I have one down stairs. I keep them out of the windows and the curtains/blinds shut when the sun is hitting those rooms. It's helps, a LOT. No fans in the window during the heat of the day. It just pulls that lovely hot humid air inside. Soon as the heat of the day passes and the temp starts going down good.......I put the fans back into the windows and turn them on high.

Thankfully, I have an exceptionally well insulated house, or else we'd just plain be smothering to death. But it's hot and humid enough that I'm just fine as long as I'm sitting. Soon as I get up to move......even if I don't feel particularly "hot" I'm sopping wet within minutes. ick

I'm hoping it's cooled off enough I can attempt to mow and hopefully have time left over to plant tomato plants. I have other things planned for morning before it heats up again. And in my opinion it stinks that I'm going to have to set my alarm for about 5am so I can be up early enough to get a decent amount of work done before it's too hot outside and I have to stop and work inside. I think it just dawned on me why farmers get up so blasted early.........lol

At least this year there is no issue with being used to the heat. But this sudden sopping wet with sweat deal is a pain in the rear and just plain icky. blech

Wiped Out

Staff member
Ugh! I hate that kind of heat. We don't have it yet but are getting it tomorrow. They even canceled our city's marathon because of the predicted heat but they are letting people run the 1/2 marathon.

keista

We always put the fans in the windows backwards - sucking the air out of the house. This creates a vacuum of sorts and the vacuum is cooler than regular air.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
My house is too cool inside to do that......I'd be putting cooler air outside. (I prefer 82 degrees inside to 92 degrees outside)

I went out and mowed the front yard again a while ago. I'm obviously going to have to keep doing it right before dark. Using a gas mower is hot & sweaty enough, doing it with a manual........I have to stop and take breaks so I don't over heat. At least it was a little easier this time. I'm doing my best not to let it get too high so it's easier and quicker to mow it. But I came inside soaked to the skin in sweat......and went straight to the shower. Hopefully it won't rain while this heat wave is going on and make it grow faster.

muttmeister

It was 100 degrees here today. Usually we don't get that till July. I broke down and put the window air conditioner in my bedroom and had it on earlier. It is supposed to cool off tonight so I won't have to run it all night but this is ridiculous!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
:holymoly:

OMG Mutt!! I might have stuck it out at 90, but I don't think I could at 100!! (and then I don't know what I'd do to pay the darn thing)

I'm hoping this is just a freakish thing and is NOT going to be the pattern for the summer.

I think I'd better run to wallie world and get my new hose.........and the wading pool tomorrow or they'll all be gone. I bathe the dogs in it, but when it's really hot like this......I like to put some water in it for Rowdy to lay in or dunk his head in if he wants.

We're supposed to cool back down on tues. Man I hope so. :sigh:

donna723

You have my complete sympathy! It got up to 95 here today, above normal for this time of year. Honestly, I just couldn't live without my air conditioner in this little house. Most of the windows don't open either so I couldn't do that even if I wanted to. If it's not too awful hot I just turn on the fan part of the AC, and usually I turn it off completely in the morning until it starts getting hot again. I have a hard enough time sleeping anyway, but if I'm too hot, I don't sleep at all!

InsaneCdn

Please ship some of that heat up here. We're stuck in the 'teens (C) which is... in the 60 range (f)... It's not unpleasant, but we still need our jackets and sweaters everywhere but in the car (which rapidly gets VERY hot... sometimes I'm tempted to just go sit out there and warm up!

Jody

I purposely rented a small apartment because of the utilities. I can't breath very well with the humidity. i hate this weather. Looking forward to the cool down later this week. I try to get outside in my city garden when its nightime. I play in the water hose while watering my plants. Ugh, it's hot. Lisa, you are really good. Having an ac and not turning it on. Wow!!!! Good Going. I won't be getting a 20.00 bill next month.

muttmeister

"Only" 94 here today. It just popped up that we are in a thunderstorm watch this evening. We definitely need rain but the storm last Saturday did $3000 damage to my garage (I will get an insurance check for $2000; we will fix it ourselves and probably have some money left over) so I really could do without a lot of wind or worse.

donna723

My utilities are not really that bad so I don't feel too guilty for using the air conditioner. I basically only live on one side of my house and hardly use the two bedrooms on the other side. I use the window AC in the living room and the ceiling fan which keeps it cool enough but doesn't run up the bill too far. It's still cheaper than what I pay for gas to heat the house in the winter. And I know it sounds silly but sometimes I turn on the AC for the dogs, even if I'm not too warm myself. Bostons don't handle temperature extremes very well at all and if it gets too warm in here, my little smooshy-faced guys can have breathing problems. On a really hot day, if there was no AC on in this closed up little house, they could get hot enough to have a heat stroke and die so I have to be really careful with them so they don't get too hot.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
It's hot........HOT! bleh ick

Being stubborn is the only thing that got me outside early this morning to work on the yard. I didn't get out there as early as I wanted to either, I seem to have this new habit of sleeping in whenever I want to get up early.

Honestly........I didn't *think* it was too bad. But all the while I was digging that stupid garden plot.........I was dripping like mad, face arms legs chest........ick ick ick. I did get 2 new blue berry bushes in and the darn tomato plants done finally. I'm trying to switch on that stubborn thing so I go out here in a bit and continue working on that darn garden plot. I have veggies that need to go in before they keel over in their starter containers. And here I was looking forward to the holiday weekend to get all this done. sheesh

Right now, it's my back as much as the heat. My back does NOT like the motions involved in digging apparently. And I'm just, at this point, taking the sod off. But there is just me, and it's got to get done. Tomorrow is supposed to be even hotter still. No chance of rain until tuesday, then it's only 50 percent. (and I don't want rain on tuesday as it's supposed to be 10 degrees cooler which means I could get a LOT done)

If you get rain mutt, I hope it's not like the storm that got your garage. Just a nice pouring rain to cool things off instead.

LOL Jody. My AC units are sitting in the attic, on purpose. Harder to get to when I'm tempted to give in.

DammitJanet

My AC has been on since March I think. Down here we go from winter to summer with no time in between it seems. A few days here and there the unit cuts off but I just leave it set at 75 and that is where it stays when I change it over from the heat.

Jody

Whoa just took Broady out to go to the bathroom and its gross, gross, gross. My kids are outside at one of the city's pools and having a great time in the heat. I am having a great time in the cool. I do wish i could go and work on my garden but no way. I did pull a few greenpeppers. I love getting free produce. Can't wait until the sweet red pepper plants are ready to be pulled. One of them has about 4 peppers they just haven't turned red yet. My difficult child's birthday is the 29th and we have only been able to swim on her Birthday, here in Springfield one time. She is turning 14 this week. School is already out because we used no snow days. It just seems like the middle of summer. Tomorrow we are supposed to get storms!!! I am sure hoping that they are not tornado producing.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
We went to Young's Dairy today and they had a carnival. father in law and I spent as much time as we could in the SHADE - it wasn't too bad outside, if in the shade. But... husband and Raven and Jett all wanted to play the carny games. In the SUN. And Jett apparently did not shower last night (so he already stunk). UUUGGGHHH!!!

But... We have central air, and the thermostat is upstairs so our VERY-WELL-INSULATED bedroom was FREEZING!!! husband blocked off 2 of the 3 vents ENTIRELY. Now it's tolerable and the AC isn't running 24/7...