Heavy metal testing

F

flutterbee

Has anyone had this done? Does anyone know how it is done? For example, can your GP do it or do you need to go somewhere else?

I tried to look it up and am not having much luck.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
It's done via blood tests. And your GP ought to be able to order them without a hitch. When we were testing Travis for everything under the sun (literally), he was tested for heavy metals.

Hugs

F

flutterbee

Lisa,

After I posted this, I looked some more and did read that blood testing is only reliable if done shortly after exposure (I'm looking specifically into mercury).

I'm going to talk to my doctor. Hopefully, she won't think I'm nuts.

When we were kids, we used to break thermometers and play with the mercury. My son broke at least two mercury thermometers within the last 6 years. Probably a long shot, but worth looking into I think. I was looking at the NIH page on mercury and it said that exposure to mercury from a thermometer is a serious health risk. At least, I think it was the NIH page. I looked at a few from reputable sources. Can't remember which said what.

TerryJ2

When we were kids, we used to break thermometers and play with the mercury.

Wow. I'm blinking at that sentence.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Heather,

My son's holistic doctor tested him thru hair. He had no mercury in his hair samples, which she says indicate that his body does not process it normally, therefore, he could have mercury toxicity going on, as everyone is exposed to at least trace levels.

The mercury doesn't stay in the blood, I beleive they said it settles in tissues such as bone and brain. I should find out Wednesday what other methods are available for testing for it.

Just so you know, this gets into a real gray area in the medical community. difficult child's university doctor says the absence of mercury in his hair sample is a good thing; whilst a whole boat load of other docs (and parents of kids treated with chelation) say something completely different.

I was very skeptical about it, but have heard enough that I am at least learning a lot more about it. Jenny McCarthy's book "Mother Warriors" is full of stories from parents who's kids were substantially helped by chelation. I'll just say this, I've found enough evidence on my own to beleive that there could be something to it. I know my son's problems were not caused by vaccinations because we delayed them all due to a family history of allergies. That's not to say mercury and other strange results he had aren't compounding his problems, and I'm looking into it further.

I'll send you the book if you want it.

Research on your own. Your gp may say its bogus, but I encourage you to do your own research and make you own decision.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
You're right Shari. Talk to a chemist. It'll scare you. Seriously. We learned about this stuff in Biochemistry.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I never broke thermometers to play with Mercury, but I do distinctly remember the teacher in gradeschool passing around a bowl with a sizable glob of mercury for us kids to see and feel.

Who knew

Marcie