hedgehog experiences?

Mattsmom277

We have added a new critter to casa Melissa. A cute as a button African Pygmy hedgehog. He is annoyed as heck and loud about it from the relocation to his new digs but once calmed down and some time to acclimate, I'm sure he will be a great little pet.

Anybody have any experiences? Tips? Do's and don't s?

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
The only thing I've heard is they are a PAIN to take to the vet 'cause they stay in a tight little ball and won't get examined....

What made you decide to get a hedgehog?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
They chew on carpet - watch him when he is out of his cage. They're nocturnal - make sure to keep his exercise wheel oiled - or you will be CRAZY within days! Also, they poo and pee wherever they are... Clean the cage at least once a week. If you hold him gently, he won't poke you - but don't startle him if you can help it!

My sister in law has two, one of which Onyxx babysat for a couple of months. Oh, and they do tend to live longer than you'd expect! Curious lil things, too.

Mattsmom277

S/O and I have wanted one for a long time but easy child always chose pet rats. She is now allergic though and a friend had a hedgehog for sale so I happily purchased him. Luckily he is curious and tamed. Even with the hissy fit over a car ride, new voices and people and scents at our house, he uncurled when picked up and although I put him back agree a few minutes to allow him some quiet, he was into seeing us. He's a charmer.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL - yes, HISSy fit... I forgot that they hiss too! Being tame will help. And their underfur is SOOOO SOFT!

They get along well with cats, too. Don't you have one?

Mattsmom277

We have Peppermint Patty. A bratty diva minx. Total huntress but seems to always know friend from prey. She adored the pet rats. She is keeping an eye in hedgies cage and interested but isn't alarmed by wee critters thank goodness.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL AngelKitten tried to SIT on Willow the Hedgehog. Looked vaguely surprised at being poked and then got Willow to unroll. to play.

Mattsmom277

That's hilarious! I doubt Pepper will be cuddling up with new addition as she did with the rats lol. She grew bored waiting for him to come out of his little habitat and fell asleep in guard duty.

I'm so looking forward to S/O getting home from work to see him. He loved all forms of creatures and is adorable when his big hands try to be oh so gentle. I melt haha.

I've been to the pet store and purchased more food and bedding. Disgusting mealworms. A new sleeping bag style hammock. A large and QUIET wheel. Without bars. It's solid as to protect his tiny toes. I got him some toys and a box of dust free small animal litter. I'm going to fashion him a litter pan for the corner.

Apparently they live up to a potential ten years. Crazy long for such a wee thing. S/O is planning in a few weeks to build him a storied habitat with easy to get up ramps. That should be funny to see because knowing my S/O he will have to make it perfect. Then he will have to embellish it and make it attractive. Crazy fool. As if the little guy would care with just the nice roomy cage he has lol.

I'm chomping at the bit for evening so hedgie will wake up and get lively. My baby sister is here for a summer visit. Apparently she and easy child had him out while I was out supply shopping. Of course on my bed. With my brand new bedding set. And it peed and pooped in my bedding. So I'm stuck doing laundry. Thankfully we learn quick. No more climbing on beds! Luckily we have got carpets except area rugs which we can move when he is out exploring.