Helicopter parents.

Jabberwockey

No problem. And in response to Lil's comment about offenders under 20 being unusual, unfortunately this just isn't so. These are also the offenders that no one really wants to deal with, even other offenders. Attitude from hell, argumentative, spiteful, disrespectful, well you all get the picture!

Confused

Interesting! I personally believe in teaching the most important, respect, love , education, decision making for themselves on certain things and as they got older,( as we got older we didnt have our own choice it was mainly rules to follow even as adults) how to handle issues, overall life skills, and yes, simple basic things to keep a house running! And knowing me Im leaving things out! So I will speak for my childhood as we basically had to learn what I mentioned( of course as we got older we were told what career to take and , ultimatums etc) We had to have the house cleaned( not laundry - was taught but not demanded of us) but had to dust, vacuum, cook, dishes, mop, yard work( only raking,watering),clean bathrooms, etc and any animals was pure our responsibility if ours. Of course education was important.

So many families do raise their kids differently, its amazing to see the differences. Good or bad.

Jabberwockey

We had to have the house cleaned( not laundry - was taught but not demanded of us)

It was of us. With nine family members and all of them over the age of 16 working at least part time, it was necessary to do multiple loads of laundry every day or it would quickly get out of hand.