Hello all my Fellow PE'ers!!!

DammitJanet

We seem to be in a blue winter slump.

Why dont we start a thread about reasons we are glad we have grown kids. I think that could be a fun thread.

I will start.

I am glad I have grown kids so I dont have to wake up at 6 am to get them ready for school anymore.

I love having adult children because:
They live in their own places, come and visit, and then go home
We can come home from work, put on our PJs at 5:30 p.m., fix whatever leftovers, pizza,
etc., for supper and hear no complaining
When we watch Lost together, no one interrupts us
We can do whatever we want
We can go to bed at 7:00 p.m.
The house stays neater
Because it is just husband and me!! peaceful, funny, kind of like before children without the
"future planning", kind of hectic lifestyle (I don't know how to describe it, I just know how
it feels to live it!!)
Watching them grow, the good and the bad, and how they now react to those "When I
grow up/have children, I'll never ........." A lot of eaten words!!!!
Being in the room when our first grandchild was born, seeing my difficult child's face, and hearing
the words "Now I know why you did (all the crazy stuff) to save me when I was using
drugs"
Being able to enjoy their successes, knowing you had a part in some of them, and
especially treasuring the ones where they had to persevere and triumph over THEMSELVES
to succeed

I love my children so much, and would do it again in a heartbeat (good and bad). Although I do miss having younger children, even with the past and current pain, this seems to be happiest, most content time I have felt since our early married years!

DammitJanet

Terry...yep!

I am also glad for a bunch of the same reasons you are.

I loved it the first time I heard MY words coming out of THEIR mouths...lol.

I love being able to look blankly at someone when they ask "whats for dinner?" Uhhh, you are grown now, figure it out for yourself...lol.

I really love being able to call my son and ask him if he wants to go to lunch and enjoy it!

janebrain

I agree with all the reasons given! A few more...

I love not knowing what they are doing from moment to moment. I can assume things are okay even if they are doing things that would give me nightmares because I am blissfully ignorant!

Those magic words..."Mom, you were right about" ---(fill in the blank).

I love the fact that we don't fight because there is nothing to fight about anymore.

Great thread!

Jane

Janebrain -- Gosh, yes, I can't believe I forgot the ignorance is blissful part, not knowing every minute of their lives, etc.!! Absolutely!

KTMom91

Oh...the phone calls from school!

The sub calls for the district occasionally come through on a trunk line that also included the high school. It's taken me about six months to stop cringing when that number pops up on Caller ID.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
No more IEP meetings, no more going nose to nose with the Principal, the dean of girls, the Vice Principal, the teachers............. You get the idea. lol

The Peace and Quiet!

Buying snacks and having them be there when you want to eat them.

Being able to strip off my bra in the kitchen if a darned well feel like it. (I know too much information)

Being able to buy a much wider variety of foods that husband and I like that the kids never did grow fond of.........

Having my kids cook me dinner while I play with the grandkids. :D

CrazyinVA

Staff member
No dealing with them being stir crazy because school was closed for SNOW (thought about this one a lot the past couple of weeks, as I watched other parents struggle with this).

No one complaining that there's "nothing to eat." (except myself lol)

No MTV reality shows

Stocking the foods I want, with no worries of someone else eating them before I get a chance to

Having people over whenever I want with no worries of what they might find if they use the hall bathroom (once I discovered, after a male friend had used it, a used sanitary napkin had been left on the floor... ackackackack).

Oh I could SO go on ... lol

Mostly, I just love living ALONE and coning home to an empty apartment with no conflicts hitting me when I walk in the door :)

Thanks for a reminder to count my blessings Janet!

* The empty nest is truly a BEAUTIFUL thing!!!!

* Division and Rebellion don't live here anymore!!!!

* Peace and Joy fill our home!!!!!

* We enjoyed donating our well worn "everyday" items

* We are enjoying using "good" silverware, dishes, towels etc...

* It's awesome not fearing that our belongings will be destroyed by careless adult/children who couldn't care less!!!

* Resting confidently, knowing we HAVE taught them well... and poured out our hearts full of love into their lives!

* Trusting they are learning good lessons (albeit "hard" lessons) during their time as rebellious prodigals.

* Hoping they will return older and wiser.

* Eager to see them return, not "at any cost" but when the time is right, and they are ripe. (praying it won't take until they have rebellious adult/children of their own before they understand our side of things!!!)

* Confident we love them regardless of how they feel about us.

* Satisfaction in a job well done!