HELP any tips on stripping wallpaper???

janebrain

Hi Trying Hard,
when I first saw your subject line all it showed was "tips on stripping"--I was going to refer you to my difficult child 1 who is an exotic dancer. Sorry, I have no tips on stripping wallpaper....
Jane

tryinghard

Jane,

LMAO..that is funny!! Naw, I am too old to consider stripping...even though I hear they can make really good money:surprise:

Meowbunny,

that is a GREAT idea! I am going to try that and report back!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I bought one of those giant car wash sponges and used very warm water. I saturate the paper and then it slips right off using a paint scraper. No chemicals, not special glue removers. And this method worked on that fuzzy circa. 1966 bathroom wallpaper!!!!

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I never thought of getting a steamer :( I should as often as I change wallpaper..

I usually score it then do the Dif and a scraper - its still a slo process - If I can get the top paper with the pattern off, then soaking it makes it strop off easier.

Marcie

TerryJ2

I'm all for scoring it with-a scorer (I used a round one that kind of spins around ... it was great fun for difficult child), then soaking it, then using a scraper.
Good luck.

witzend

Are you using the crocodile tool to make holes in the paper first? We used an equal mixture of water and fabric softener. If push comes to shove, rent a steamer from the home improvement store for about $40 a day. But you have to use the crocodile wallpaper tool with the teeth in it first.

mom_to_3

I have used a wallpaper scorer first and then I have mixed a solution of dishwashing soap and hot water in a 1 gallon garden sprayer. After scoring, saturate the wall, let it set a bit and then get busy removing. I have used both a plastic and a metal wide putty knife with success. Good luck!

SRL

I swear the people who papered our house didn't use sizing. I did one whole room in small pieces (regardless of what I did). I couldn't take the stuff off the stairwell without gouging the drywall and finally wound up having my husband cover it with painted beadboard.

And to top it off, there is some wallpaper in my laundry room that is slapped directly onto the drywall.

You can understand why I'm not too keen on tackling the kitchen...

tryinghard

SRL - I think that is the problem I have. The wallpaper has like a vinyl\wax on it and there was no prep under it. It is coming off it little pieces and damaging the wall.

Yes, I failled to mention I have two of the little tools that make holes...but it doesn't seem to work well:whiteflag:

I appreciate all of your tips! I tried the fabric softner last night. It definitely smelled better than the vinger and my hands were sooooo soft! Today I am going to try the steamer with vinager water...wish me luck.

I appreciate my online friends very much...thanks everyone

TerryJ2

Yeah, prep makes a huge diff.

We lived in a house where the previous homeowner used contact paper instead of wallpaper. Good thing they moved far away, because I wanted to go after them and throttle them!