Help, dinner menu woes

crazymama30

So I am trying to plan a menu of meals I can put together the night before and hopefully can get someone to get started for me. I use the crock pot, but many times we are gone so long that the meal in the crock pot just turns to mush! I can do some crock pot stuff, like tomorrow? I am doing bbq pork sandwiches and will use the crock pot to cook the pork.

Any ideas? I have pork ribs, boneless pork loin chops, chicken breast, ground beef and a few steaks in the freezer. Help!

Things that are a no go, things with too many ingredients that can be seen, anything with onions, spicy, sour, and I am sure there are many other things too.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
If you had a blade or english roast you could cube it up, cut up potatoes, slice some carrots, tomatoes (usually 1 is enough, just for flavor), add some cabbage (again for flavor, you could tear it up real small so they won't know what it is) let it cook all day. It won't turn to mush and it makes a pretty darn good beef stew. Serve with biscuits or corn bread.

For the chicken breast........add some cream of mushroom soup, cream of chicken soup.......cook on low all day, make some quick rice when you get home.......poof! You're done.

Easy peesy one is a beef roast, 2 big cans of cream of mushroom soup, add one can of water. Let it cook. When you get home cook up some egg noodles for beef and noodles........or skip the noodles and serve with mashed potatoes instead. The mushroom soup makes a tasty gravy. :)

My crockpot meals might not be too helpful.......they involve roasts....either beef or pork, whole chickens ect because they take longer to cook. And I often make more than one meal from them.

Hmm. Ground beef? How about chilli?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Ground beef: spaghetti or meatloaf, or tacos (they sell mild taco seasoning at supermarkets).

Chicken: dust with garlic & onion powder, bake on top of plain rice.

Steaks... Well, grill? I love steak!

As for the crock pot - I make roasts, etc. in mine, turned to low - start it the night before and it's done for dinner, even if we eat really late. You can do the ribs in the crock pot too... Just start them on LOW that morning.

Are beans & cornbread an option?

crazymama30

I think I will do the chicken and rice in the crock pot, that might get eaten.

Step, we just had tacos and spaghetti last week. They are old standbys, and trust me, they are getting old. I am not sure if my steak is the cut you would grill, I just packaged it up and did not put the cut on the freezer bag, so all I know is it is boneless. I found some recipes in the recipe archive I want to try. Some of it I will put together and then have mom start it before she leaves for work (she leaves later than me) or we have a timed delay bake option on the oven we can use too.

I am just tired of the same thing, but it is so hard to find things the kids will eat. I may have to institute a no eat dinner, no snack other than leftover dinner rule. It will not go over well, but it could be worth it.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
I have a recipe that doesn't really include the ingredients you have on hand, however, kids just love it.
Ingredients:
1 pound of bacon
1 pound of elbow macaroni
i medium onion
1 large can tomato sauce
bread crumbs-about 1 cup
cheddar cheese-grated , about 2 cups
butter- a couple of pats
milk -about 1/2 to 1 cup

Dice onion and bacon and saute bacon and onion together until bacon is done. Drain bacon fat. Mix bacon and onion with macaroni. Pour in tomato sauce and add enough milk so that it all is mixed well and not dry. Put into casserole dish and top with mixture of breadcrumbs and grated cheese with small pats of butter on top to help it crisp up. Bake at 350 until heated through and top is browned and cheese is melted. Never met a kid who didn't love this!

[h=2]This is another and a favorite. And kids like it too.....
Ingredients[/h]
[h=2]Directions[/h]Pound the chicken breasts until they are 1/4-inch thick. You can use either a meat mallet or a rolling pin.
Combine the flour, salt, and pepper on a dinner plate. On a second plate, beat the eggs with 1 tablespoon of water. On a third plate, combine the bread crumbs and 1/2 cup grated Parmesan. Coat the chicken breasts on both sides with the flour mixture, then dip both sides into the egg mixture and dredge both sides in the bread-crumb mixture, pressing lightly.
Heat 1 tablespoon of butter and 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large saute pan and cook 2 or 3 chicken breasts on medium-low heat for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until cooked through. Add more butter and oil and cook the rest of the chicken breasts. T

crazymama30

Thanks recovering, I printed both of them out, they look good. I think I do have everything, I might have some bacon out in the deep freeze!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Also reasonably easy... husband calls it potato stroganoff...

Brown the ground beef & drain, stir in 1 can cream of mushroom soup & about 1 cup sour cream, heat till hot. Add salt & pepper to taste, and serve over baked potatoes or mashed potatoes...