Help! Dog Urine.

DazedandConfused

Oh yes indeedy. After a hard day at work, I get to come home to the pungent odor of dog wee blasting me in the face.

We acquired another dog in May. It's a very long story, but she was never housebroken or even socialized. She's very shy, but such a love. husband adores her, so she stays. We crate her at night and when we are not home which has helped a lot. I want to train her (she's five) but she's so jumpy and skittish. She has come a long, long way though when she first hid behind our bed for week.

She has urinated all over the living room carpet. before we crated her. Replacing isn't an option. I've shampooed it three times with stuff that is suppose to get rid of the smell. I know it has soaked all the way down to the concrete foundation.

I've looked around the Internet, but wondered if anyone has a solution for a large area and getting rid of the horrible smell.

Thanks!

Jena

Nature's Miracle. it works great. you soak the area with it after removing the urine. it also deters them from going back again to the same spot.

good luck :) i've been there too! LOL

goldenguru

Personally, I'd get the whole carpet professionally shampooed. Steam cleaning would be best. They have products specifically formulated for pet urine.

Of course, you might want to make sure she's housebroken before you get the rugs cleaned.

F

flutterbee

If it's an area that is in the corner or along the wall, pull the carpet up and replace the padding (just cut out the section and put down a new section) and then put the carpet back down. Soak the heck out of the carpet.

fuddleduddledee

I have had a variety of tenants over the years, some have had animals that they didn't look after. This solution will work and it's not too costly at all.

First, liberally sprinkle the carpet with baking soda (last time I left it sitting on the carpet for a day) next soak the carpet with vinegar (I use pickling vinegar cause it's stronger). When the vinegar and baking soda mix it will create a chemical reaction if you remember from science. One way to find the exact spots that have been urinated on is to use a black light in the dark, I have read, although I've not tried this. Next step is to get a carpet shampooer do not purchase the solutions that they try to sell use Oxy Clean and don't be stingy with the Oxy Clean use a good scoop for each bucket.

You may have to clean the carpet twice but it will work and it won't cost an arm and a leg.