Help Eczema Can"t Sleep

yayita25

Sorry to bother my 9 yr. old difficult child has a terrible rash (eczema) I rubbed Elocon on her and gave her benedryl but her skin looks very very bad it's puffy and pink it is ALL over her body just looking at her makes me itch and want to cry!!!!!! My poor baby... So please does anyone have any home remedies or any suggestions please I am desperate!!!

Thankyou

yayita25

I gave her an Oatmeal bath and it soothed her but only for about 2 hours her skin just looks sooo bad it is pink and puffy and cracked it is all over her tummy, back, under arms, arms,legs, neck ,chest and she justed started to get some on her cheeks!!!

Lothlorien

Poor thing! I have it in a few spots and it makes me positively miserable. If it's really that bad, perhaps a call into the Dermatologist is in order. She may be having a bad reaction to something.

For sleep, you can give her Melatonin or Valerian root.

She should probably avoid dairy products. There are some natural treatments. Here are a few that I've found.

Apply a mixture of 1 teaspoon camphor and 1 teaspoon sandalwood paste on the rashes. Apply nutmeg paste to the affected areas. Put natural vitamin E on the affected skin, it will relieve you of itching. Zinc taken orally and applied directly on the affected skin is effective. Both shark cartilage and lotion of blueberry leaves reduce inflammation. Use pine tar soap to wash the affected skin. Drink tomato juice daily, it will cure the symptoms in a few days.

Another suggestion was applying honey to the more seriously affected areas. Since it's sticky, you'll have to put bandages over the area. It's a natural antiseptic, so you needn't worry about getting infected.

Sara PA

I just read about someone who tried a natural tretment for eczema. It was in one of those columns in the newspaper whose name I forget. I may even have the newpaper around -- recycling didn't get out last week. I'll try to find it. I was something very common -- a food, I think. It was so odd and simple that I wondered if it would work for a lot of people. If nothing else, I should be able to come up with the name of the column -- it's syndicated -- and be able to find the letter on line.

klmno

If the home remedies don't work, I think you might need a prescription for something at this point- I'd call the pediatrician on call and see if they can call something in - if that doesn't work, I'd try calling a pharmacist and see what they recommend.

Star*

call 911........call 911
DF has psoriasis -

WHen he is REALLY bad - baking soda and water in the bath and then as a paste helps.

He finally went to a dermatologist and got a salve called:
Triamcinolone acetonide

It's only available by prescription but it is marvelous.

Sorry for her discomfort.

susiestar

Roll With It
I am so sorry. I suggest putting oatmeal in an old sock or stocking, tying it shut and putting it in the bath. Keep doing it if needed.

Triamcinilone is a cortisone cream. Try OTC cortisone, or even the triple antibiotic plus pain reliever. It is a topical reliever. Aveeno also has a cream that may help. It is by the cortisone cream in the drugstore section, and has the same pain reliever as the triple antibiotic.

When you see the doctor ask about EMLA cream (lidocaine/prilocaine cream). It comes in little tubes, and the pharmacy will likely have to special order it. It can be a lifesaver. It just numbs teh area, doesn't help heal it. usually it is used on people before shots. My rheumy gives it to me because I have such a bad time with the psoriasis.

I am sorry she is so uncomfortable.

Sara PA

I found it. Banana peels. **shrug** I have NO idea if it works but it intrigued me. It was Dr. Gott's column.

Dear Dr. Gott: I have been bothered by eczema on my eyelid and eyebrow.

It was so bad I thought I would harm my eyelid from the scratching. Then I read about the banana peel for psoriasis. I gave it a try, because I eat a banana every day. It's amazing. The flaking, itching, peeling and dryness have disappeared. Thank you!

Dear Reader: Using banana peels to stop the itching of eczema is a new one on me. It is useful in treating some forms of psoriasis. I'm publishing your favorable experience in hopes it will benefit other readers.

If you buy bananas anyway, I guess you have nothing to lose and, it nothing else, it will make for a funny story when your kid grows up and starts telling about crazy things your family did when he was young. If you try it, let us know

Abbey

Spork Queen
I have tried and tried for two days to find the ointment that was a life saver for me as a child with Eczema to pass on to you.

Mine was so bad that I'd put it on my feet, which was the worst area, then wrap them in bags at night. I had DEEP cracks on them, as well as the back of my knees. I remember as a high schooler being 'banned' from gymnastics and track as they thought I might be contagious.

Fortunately, most people tend to outgrow this to some extent as they age. It didn't happen for me until I was about 30, but have rarely had to resort to the medications. (Which is why I can't find it now.) I'll keep looking.

Abbey

yayita25

Thank you everyone I did call her pediatrician she prescribed ELOCON and it has dried most of the real red spots she still has lots of red under her arm pits and her theighs I have kept her from long showers as prescribed and the spots on her face have started to fade a bit . She still has lots of bumps but not too red I will definetly try the BANANA PEELS and keep you guy posted....
Thanks sooo much for your responses

witzend

My brother used to get red rashes/hives in his armpits and elbows, back of knees. He was allergic to most everything. The food and pet dander allergies caused the hives, the pollen/dust allergies caused sinus problems.

Did you try hydrocortisone? (sp?) Try rubbing the over the counter strength on her hives. It should reduce swelling, stop itching, and heal pretty quickly. If this works, call the doctor and ask for a prescription strength tube.

Be sure to get the type that is cream, not like vaseline, and to get one that's odor free.

yayita25

I have tried the cortizone and I have a prescribed strength but it was just not helping this time. the doctor told me to continue with the Elocon which I did but I just need something more for just relief. The doctor prescribed a liquid medicine (hydroyzine)for the itch but it only makes her drowsy and it does not help the eczema. I will try the banana peels tonight.