Help for smelly cat smell...

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Ugh.

I think Wee's cat sprayed the corner. Ugh. Any idea how to de-smell it?

He's old enough to neuter now, but I had to cancel 2 appointments to deal with school, andn then he got an infection from ear mites and we had to postpone it again. I pray its not too late and he'll stop when he's fixed. In the mean time...how do I get rid of this God awful stench???

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I knew it was good for people and dogs...don't know why I didn't think of it for cats! I guess male cat pee is just more offensive...

Thanks!! I'll go pour some in the wash!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Urine from entire male cats contains a musk that causes the stink. Cats spray to mark territory.

Unfortunately, neutering doesn't always stop this behavior, but at least the pee doesn't stink like that from an un-neutered cat.

White vinegar works well. If he's gotten carpeting or upholstery, there is a product called "Stink Stopper" that helps.

I've got a former feral that HAS to go out because he won't use a litterpan. He goes to the door and asks to be let out--just like a dog would.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I've used a product called Simple Solution that works great for odors, including urine and vomit (even on mattresses from my kid who still wets the bed).

I've found it at most pet supply stores. They used to have two different formulations. One you mix with water, and one that is alcohol based that you pour right on the affected area (much easier to use). Our first two cats were (ahem) retarded about litter box use -- seemed to prefer a carpeted corner anywhere in our house over the litter box. We no longer have carpet (or those cats -- coyotes got 'em).

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Oh, if he doesn't stop, he will so not be an indoor cat anymore.

Tho he's entirely adorable. His ear infections caused hematomas in the tips of his ears, so his ears flop over, like a golden retriever or something. The vet said he can fix them, but its not really a "must-do" unless its causing him a problem, which it doesn't seem to be.

I'm going to look for this de-stink stuff, anyway. Sounds like something good to have on hand. Wee's mattress could use it at times, anyway!

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Shari--

LOL! I couldn't help it...when I read the title of this thread that song from "Friends" popped into my head:

Smelly cat, smelly cat...
What are they feeding you?
Smelly cat, smelly cat...
It's not your fault!

(sorry...)

Hope your smelly cat gets "fixed" soon!

--DaisyFace

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Oh, Daisy, he's smelly in that way, too! TERRIBLE.

The other cat uses the litter box and no one notices. He does and the whole house stinks.

Must be a man thing.:tongue:

Kitty bling. TOO FUNNY!

Star*

call 911........call 911
ROFL.....

I immediately thought of FRIENDS too.....

Smelly Cat.....Smelly cat....OMG Daisy.

(raises hand) HOW to you get a cat to sit still to wash it in vinegar?

mstang67chic

Going Green
ROFL.....

I immediately thought of FRIENDS too.....

Smelly Cat.....Smelly cat....OMG Daisy.

(raises hand) HOW to you get a cat to sit still to wash it in vinegar?

Super soaker. But the cat has to run by you from different directions so you can get all sides.

susiestar

Roll With It
Walmart has an enzyme cleaner that is great called Kids N Pets. It works amazingly well but you must saturate the stain and let it sit. It does work well in the wash also. I found it did lots more than vinegar could.

TerryJ2

Gosh, I'm so glad I got two females!

I love Nature's Miracle (I hope it's okay to post the name). I use vinegar, too.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Terry? Female cats can spray also, though in their case it's usually related to their being in heat.

At least it doesn't stink like tomcat pee, but its' still obnoxious.

susiestar

Roll With It
Tomcat pee is AWFUL. Six Dinner Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) has been adopted by our awful, gun-shooting neighbors who let their now 6 yo run around late at night screeching for him.

He STILL sprays the foundation of our house right outside our bedroom window if he can smell me through an open window. He ADORES me, and will stick to me like glue given 1/10th of a chance. He is a nice cat, but he STINKS of cat pee most of the time. I think he likes me because I am the only one who ever told neighbor girl to stop yanking on him, but whatever.

Opening the bedroom window can be horrific. I keep 2-3 bottles of Kids and Pets on hand and use it on the log cabin siding (wood) outside our house where he sprays. It works wonders.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
I am soooo blessed that Bruce is so grateful to no longer be a stray that he has never once sprayed anywhere. (he is not fixed as of yet) And that he uses his litterbox faithfully even if Mom forgets to clean it on occasion.......

Willie.......well, that's how he wound up and outside cat. I can barely tolerate the litterbox.....no way can I stand a cat spraying ect.