Help I need help with my 3 year old!!!

karif

crazymomof4
It has been an interesting day. We had an appointment at the pshycologist today. Josh woke up and was very mellow. We went to the doctor at 11.30 and he fell asleep on my shoulder. He slept through his entire appointment. The doctore told me that Abilify might take a while to work. He still is not eating much, a bite of ceral for breakfast and two french fries for lunch. When we got home a bag of cheetos. Now he is acting like himself. screaming and wanting to play a little bit. I really hope that this medication starts working. I feel helpless and held captive by all this.:anxious:

SRL

I'm sorry you're having to rough this, Karif. Many moms here have been in your shoes so we know what you're going through.

Hang in there.

karif

crazymomof4
Yes we give him Abilify at night. Which he goes to sleep with no problem now that part is great. Before this he never slept and to get him to even relax and to sleep we had to give him Benedryl, alot of it, and then it was a major battle. Sometimes this battle would last for hours. Now we give it to him and 30 minutes later he is asleep. The problem is that he is so cranky and exhausted from it. He still refuses to each much. (this has always been a problem) So his behaviors seems worse right now. We go back to Neuro doctor on Monday. I hope that medication will level out by then if not I want him put on something else.;)

karif

crazymomof4
ok I just don't understand why the healthcare industry doesn't want to help children like my son! I hit a dead end every where I turn. I feel like I need a new therapist one that deals with chldren like him. I have called and called and noone seems to want to see a child so young. If only more people would do early intervention maybe we could actually help these kids. I thought living in southern California people here are more apt to seek out pshycological help but I guess only if you are rich and famous. Anyways, sorry for the rant, just frustrated today.:bloodshot:

SRL

Karif, you're running into a problem here that is widespread--there's an acute shortage in some areas of behavioral and mental health. I will say though that at age 3 most parents are more apt to try the medical and begin the early intervention (school, county services) route.

Have you called the public school district yet? They can be an excellent route to go for the little ones with offerings such as early intervention preschool which includes not only preschool but behavioral help, social skills, speech, etc. Plus they can be a great resource to find out what else is available in the community. Manp parents opt for this route, I think not only because of availability, but because I'd venture a guess that success rate is better and it's more well rounded than just going the one-on-one play therapy route.

karif

crazymomof4
I think we might be making progress. He has been on Abilify for one week now. Aside from him being tired most of the day, his behavior seems to be a little better today. He finally started eating some today. I hope that this is the start to a good thing.:redface:

jannie

trying to survive....
Hi Karif-
I'm glad you're seeing some improvement. Keep on making phone calls and researching about doctors and programs in your area. I was totally at a loss when my difficult child was 5 years old. Somehow we found a therapeutic preschool program that was taught my a teacher and a social worker. This special program was quite beneficial for my child...Play therapy, Occupational Therapist (OT), and family therapy were also helpful.

Medications are trial and error...Hang in there. Abilify has worked quite well for my child. We trialed at least four different medicines before we had one we stuck with. Hang in there....It will get better.

BusynMember

Have you tried looking at university hospitals? They will usually see younger patients and take most insurance. I still recommend a neuropsychologist or a MDE. I don't think medications will fix this. I think there is probably some disorder going on and you need to find out what it is.

karif

crazymomof4
WEll we went back to the neuro doctor today. He wants to increase Abilify gradually. Just going from 1 ml to 1.25 for a week to 10 days then 1.50 for the next week. To see how he does. I also received a call finally from the mental health clinic for the county. They are willin to do an intake on him tommorow if our medical covers it. Then maybe we can get some help with people that are familiar with county kids. I know I have a long road ahead but I feel like we are finally making some progress, even if it is little.;)

karif

crazymomof4
Ok I thought we were making progress. However yesterday and today, he has the same agression towards the little one. He was jumping on him and strangling him again. He was also throwing things at me. Could he be getting used to this medication or should we try something else? We don't go back to neuro doctor for a month. We did have an intake from county health dept yesterday. They are going to refer us to the 0-5 program. This program is for kids that have severe behavior problems and that have gone through abuse. I hope this is the answer we have been looking for.:anxious:

SRL

medications aren't a magic cure. Rarely if ever do they make changes without days of backsliding into old behaviors. If overall things seem to be better, that's what you want to look at. Expect some bad days, even if on the right medications.

Good to hear about the county intervention program--I'm glad they worked you in so quickly.

karif

crazymomof4
aaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh! All his behaviors are back with a vengious!! He is hurting the baby and laughing. He hit my 7yr daughter hard in the face this morning. He is now body slamming the baby against the window. Gotta go!

SRL

Karif, I'm dead serious about this: you are going to need to keep the baby with you at all times. Especially now with the county being involved--you don't want to be put at risk for charges of child endangerment. I know it's majorly inconvenient but the alternatives are much, much worse.

Lothlorien

Karif, I agree with SRL. I think you need to write a letter to your school district requesting a Multi-disciplinary evaluation. While you are waiting for that, call the local Children's Hospital and ask for an evaluation with a Pediatric neuropsychologist.

You also need to document everything. After he's asleep, begin with the very beginning. How was the birth...any problems. Then get the to part where he began to show these behaviors. Document all that happens. Document what he ate or didn't eat on the days that are/were the worst.

Does he rage? Does he stay in timeout? If not, get your therapist to teach you how to do a basket hold and what to do while he's in the hold, like how to speak to him and how to calm him down.

susiestar

Roll With It
You are going to have a very very tough time keeping custody of your children if something doesn't change soon. I know it is stressful. I know you feel a need to get things done around the house, but you simply MUST have the baby or the older child with you at EVERY SINGLE MOMENT. I DO know how hard this is. I spent several years taking my daughter with me even into the bathroom to keep her safe from her older brother. I really, truly understand how hard it is to not have a single solitary moment to yourself. You have to arrange for a sitter with the same level of vigilance or for their dad to have the same vigilance or you will lose custody.

I don't say this to scare you. But when the baby shows up somewhere with bruises or cuts or other signs of abuse, the county is not going to care that it is your other child doing the abuse. They will simply take custody away from you. They will determine that you cannot protect the baby, so they will take both children. I DO NOT want you to go through that. I am not saying htis just to scare you. I have been through it/ My husband took our oldest son to the restroom, I took our daughter until our youngest was born, then I ended up taking both of them with me. It was the only way to keep them safe, and I didn't manage even them to prevent all of the abuse from my oldest from happening.

Make the calls for the evaluations. While you wait, keep the baby with you at all times, even at night if you need to.

You also need to make a safety plan. Alarms on doors, latches up high out of your children's reach to keep the older one from getting outside with-o you knowing, allo f these things need to be installed, then written up so that you can show that you have a safety plan that covers when your difficult child gets past you or under the radar and ends up hurting the little one or himself. Because the county or city WILL come look at some point if the difficult child keeps abusing the baby the way he has so far. Medicine may help this, it may not. No one can make any guarantees if the medications will help.

It will most likely take a LONG time to find the right medication combo. And it will need to be tweaked or changed frequently. You need to get a safety plan ASAP, before their is a report of abuse made about one of the kids. Sooner or later on of the doctors will have to make a report - NOT because they won't understand how it happened, but because it is the law.

We had to go through it, it truly stunk, and it really was upsetting. Esp because the doctor who finally did make a report did so because we came to her for help for our daughter. Jess needed therapy to deal with all the abuse her brother put her through. Because even iwth a safety plan (that included moving in with my parents so we would have FOUR adults to help supervise the kids and keep them safe) and all the supervision we could provide, our daughter still ended up being abused.

So it can and problem will happen. Make the safety plan and implement it BEFORE you need it, and you will be glad you did. You can get door and window alarms at radio shack, it doesn't have to be a full-fledged alarm system, just door and window alarms to make sure you know if he tries to get out of the house or into the baby's room.

But please don't let this wait. EACH of your kids deserves a safe place to live, and your protection. difficult child may not learn safe behaviors as easily as other kids because his birthmom's drug use while pregnant.

Sorry. This wasn't anymore fun to write than it is to read.

BusynMember

After reading all this, I still really think you need to check out fetal alcohol spectrum. These kids don't understand right from wrong. I'm not saying that is the entire thing, but it could be a big part of it. Your child did not have a chance to develop normally in utero and it is rare that these types of kids can have no affects from the drug/alcohol use. That has been my experience with other parents who adopted drug affected kids as well. The problems persist, and are hard to pigeon-hole, because they tend to be more elusive then children who had good in utereo care. Plus whatever the birthparents may have can also be passed along to the child. It is usually very hard to get our kids right...even harder than for a mom raising a difficult biological child.

karif

crazymomof4
Just to ease everyone's minds, I do have a saftey plan in place. I have made phone calls to our old social worker letting him know what has been going on. We had an intake with the county mental health department last week. We also are getting evaluated for the school district to get into there pre-school program. I do keep the baby or Josh with me at all times. Unfortunalty he hits the baby and is very abusive when I am right beside him. I had to do a "basket" hold on him 4 times today to keep him in time out. He doesn't seem to have as many outburst with medications but they still do come. I think with medications when they come it is more intense. If that makes any since. I think this weekend he is having a real hard time because my husband is out of town until tommorow night. He does not do well with change or transitions. Dad not being here is change and he is not happy. We had a hearing and vision test done at the school distict on Friday. He failed his vision test and didn't understand how to do the hearing test. My dear friend that has a autistic son told me someday I will look back on all of this and laugh. I told her I don't think so. :whiteflag:

karif

crazymomof4
I finally got a call back from county mental health. They are putting us in some program called 0-5. The therapist said that I would be in a room with my difficult child and she would be on the other side of a two way mirror. I would have a bug in my ear. She would be coaching me what to say and how to react to him. I am very weary of this. I have been a parent a long time and I know how to talk to my kids. I think he needs more than this. Has anyone ever tried this before?:tongue:

SRL

Yes, I think you will need more than this.

Sometimes the behavioral therapists can be helpful, but I'd be hesitant until I had a full picture of what was going on with him. A lot of them come into the home though.

There are some things you can do that might help with transitions. Google social stories--they're stories written about situations specific to your child so they know what to expect and some parents have really good luck with them.

I'd suggest that you pick up a copy of the book The Out of Sync Child. It's about sensory integration dysfunction and while you'll need to get an assessment on him, you might be able to pick up some ideas for calming. For instance, some kids are calmed by pressure such as a pillow on top of them with some pressure or being wrapped tightly in blanket or sleeping bag (mummy style). You're going to need a lot of things in your bag of tricks to deal with him.