Help!! Im at the end of my rope

Hi, I am new to this forum but not new to the stress and confusion a child with behavioral problems can give.

We have a difficult child f 9yrs who is a compulsive liar and thief. She has been diagnosed with ADHD,Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and CD. She has gone to 2 different therapists and is a "perfect angel" for that 1 hour a week then once back home shes back to herself.

She has no conscience and only cares about herself, everything has to be about her and all eyes on her or she makes life a living h---.

She has stolen from anyone in the family and from friends and teachers, if suspected or caught she will deny that it ever happened and she will stick to her story that she never stole until we have physical proof that she did, then she'll admit to it but will not have any sympathy in what she has done.

But if anyone was to damage anything of hers she gets so ticked off that she retaliates and damages their stuff.

She also harms the animals, she is not allowed near them anymore unless we are with her. As I was coming around the corner in the upstairs hallway one day I caught her just as she was shoving the cat off the upstairs ledge, I managed to grab the cat in time but to this day she still denies ever doing it.

We know there is a good child in there...we have actually saw it a couple times in the past few years, what I want to know is how do I go about getting her the treatment she needs?

I have heard of In-patient places where they have intense therapy and they go to school there while in treatment, but are they as good as they say?

Everything we have tried has backfired and we cant handle it anymore.

smallworld

Welcome! I'm glad you found us.

Sorry for all the questions, but your answers will help us point you in the right direction.

What kind of doctor diagnosed her? Has she ever been evaluated by a child psychiatrist and/or a neuropsychologist?

Is she on any medications? If so, what and the dose? And have medications made things better, worse or about the same?

Again, welcome. You will find a lot of support here.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
Sounds like an evaluation is needed. If there were treatments that were guaranteed to work you would hear about them here, but every case is different. You can be certain if there is a place that can help your daughter it will probably be very expensive and someplace far from where you are....those are just guesses, but usually hold true. It will take time and many trials of different tactics to find what, if anything will help her live in the real world....

Good luck and welcome to the board....

LittleDudesMom

Stressed,

when you first get to this board, we usually have a lot of questions. Small pretty much asked the pertinent ones. We do like to know when and who diagnosis'd your difficult child and what type of doctor she saw. It seems she really needs a complete evaluation with a child psychiatrist or neuropsychologist.

Glad to have you here with us. I feel you will find the support you need to weather life with a difficult child!

Sharon

Wiped Out

Staff member
Welcome! Your board name (Stressed to the Max) pretty much sums up how I felt when I joined this board. You will find support here-I'm sorry your daughter is struggling so much right now. Are you able to get any respite time for yourself? It's important to take care of you. Hugs.

busywend

Welcome! I am awaiting the answers to the questions posed above, too.

However, I would like to say that if the therapists are buying her act for the hour - find another one. If the therapist can not believe you, and see through the child - not a good fit. Keep looking.

Is it Cognitive Behavioral Therapy?