Help! I've turned blue...

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
...no, my breathing is fine and all of that.

However, I bought a nice, soft shirt at Kohl's in a lovely shade of indigo. I washed it before wearing it. In fact, it has been washed again. All was well, until I did some heavy cleaning and started sweating.

I stripped off later to take a bath and discovered that most of my upper torso has turned the same lovely blue as the t-shirt. I'm now itching from dry skin and I'm STILL blue.

How do I get rid of this stuff without peeling my hide off.

I have a medical apt Wednesday and would really rather be back to my normal color of fish belly white by then. This could get really embarrassing.

It also stained my bra which I noted didn't wash out when I washed it earlier. The bra I don't really care about. It's getting my hide back to it's normal color.

I have no idea what to try next. Suggestions eagerly welcomed. I hate to think this stuff will have to wear off. I am strongly considering returning the shirt.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
To add what I've already tried: Aveno body wash. Tea tree and mint body soak. Yardley's Lavender bath soap, waterless skin cleanser. Short of bleach or dawn dish detergent, I don't know where to go from here.

The shirt was washed with other darkish colors and did bleed enough to discolour the pocket linings on a couple of pairs of new jeans.

I therefore washed the shirt a second time in hot water to "set" the dye. I really like the shirt, but if I can't get my skin back to the right color, it's going back to Kohl's and I might get myself arrested ifI have to show what the problem is.

Hopeless

....Hopeful Now
I'm sorry but your post made me laugh this morning. Maybe dish liquid, but not sure how dry your skin will be after.

trinityroyal

A mixture of baking soda and baby oil -- make a paste, and gently scrub?

Toothpaste?

A combination of baking soda and toothpaste?

That's all I've got. I'm not sure what else to recommend that won't rub your skin raw.

N

Nomad

I think dish soap (liquid) mixed with the Aveeno liquid. Wash with wash cloth. Then, but a little cream/lotion on after your shower.

Bra: either a tiny bit if bleach or bleach substitute in the wash or hand wash.... Leave it for awhile.

this is a hard one!

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Just Smurfin' along...

OK, I'm sorry, but I am giggling like mad over here.

I have used rubbing alcohol and hair spray to get Sharpie and ball point pen off...

OH! Yes. Ponds cream (if it takes makeup off...?), Vaseline then St Ives Apricot scrub (they also sell this in Wal Mart version, much cheaper). Exfoliates nicely - but then you will need good lotion.

S

Signorina

Salt. Make a salt scrub. Works with self tanner- salt has a mild bleaching ability.

Lothlorien

Try Huggies wipes....no other brand, just Huggies. They will get black Sharpie marker off your skin, so it should get the dye off. Then....to set the color in your shirt (if you haven't taken it back yet) put it in a small tub with lukewarm water and about a 1/2 cup of white vinegar. Let it soak for an hour and then wash in cold water.

susiestar

Roll With It
Huggies haven't worked for us. J has a top that does this, or she did have one. A friend said to try Huggies but they didn't do anything special. If the things you have tried have not removed it, I bet your skin is dyed and the top layer of skin cells will have to be shed to get rid of the color.

I would try a sugar scrub each day until it is gone. It will be esp good for the dry itchy skin and it will take off the layers of skin that are dyed blue. It is exfoliation, but gentle and it will help protect your skin.

Mix granulated sugar with whatever oil you like until you have a paste consistency. You don't want to be too runny or too dry but I just eyeball it so I cannot give measurements. You can add a drop or 2 of essential oil if you want. I have used almond, walnut, grapeseed, and even canola oil with this in the past. If you don't have granulated sugar, you can use brown or demerara (sugar in the raw) sugar. I would mix up a container with at least a cup of sugar to start.

when you get into the shower, take a small handful of the scrub and rub it into your skin. keep rubbing it all over until you are covered and feel you are done. Rinse off. If you want, you can then wash with soap as usual or some people stop after rinsing the scrub off. I wash because I don't like the oil residue on my towels or too much on my skin.

To get the dye off, you may want to wash your hair first so that the water can soften up the outer layers to make it easier to exfoliate them.

I hope it helps.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Great! So now I've got to exfoliate my entire upper body to get rid of this stuff? What fun! I don't have a shower, just a bath. I suppose I could stand in the tub and pour pitchers of water over myself.

Anyway thanks for the tips. One or more of them will help, I'm sure.

trinityroyal

If you're going to go for something abrasive, sugar is probably milder than salt. Maybe a sugar+oil combo, so your skin gets moisturized at the same time and not as raw?
As for the doctor's appointment, they see all sorts of oddities of the human condition. In my experience they're pretty unflappable. Blue-tinted skin is probably fairly mild on the human foibles spectrum...

Good luck with the remedies.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I have sugar and plain vegetable oil. I'll try mixing some of that up and giving it a try.

The thing is that I have such "tender" skin that nearly everything irritates it. It doesn't take much to make my skin raw. I also have some St. Ives scrub in a tube. Do you think that will work?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Be careful with the St Ives if you have delicate skin.

And... Good luck. If that doesn't work, just tell the doctor that you decided to try life as Smurfette and it's not working for you. Humor is the best remedy!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
OK, I tried the St. Ives scrub. It took some of it off, but by no means all. I had to quit scrubbing as I got a bit more than a "glow" to my skin.

Hosed down with Aveeno body lotion and am calling it quits for today.

I'll go after this again tomorrow and see how far I can get. I may try the dishsoap mixed with aveeno body wash tomorrow and then attack my poor abused hide with more of the St. Ives scrub.

pasajes4

Oh what a visual. If you are still blue for the doctors visit, tell the doctor that you were auditioning to be the first female in the Blue Man group.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I'm not THAT blue, fer cryin' out loud! Just a lovely indigo tint. I am wearing another tshirt by the same company and it is not bleeding. It's a lighter color and striped so that may be it. The shirts are super comfortable and Sensory Integration Disorder (SID)-friendly, but turning blue isn't Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) friendly at all, nor is using exfoliants on my skin.

BusynMember

This has made me laugh so hard (sorry!!!).

I bought Sonic an orange sweatshirt once (hunting colors) and just by the act of sweating at work, he turned orange!!!!! Guess that's what I get for shopping at Walmart...lol. Poor Sonic. He was in the shower for a long time, but finally got it off!!!

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
MWM, this shirt was from Kohl's. I've never had a problem like this with their clothing.

WalMart stuff either fits badly or falls apart within a few months.