HELP- my son is pulling out his own teeth

Status
Not open for further replies.

sandrainde

actually my husband and i are former military. my husband works in germany as a contractor. we have privilages to use the schools.
http://www.eu.dodea.edu/
is the info on the schools here.
http://www.heid-dso.eu.dodea.edu/
is the actual district he will be attending
he is not allowed to enroll in the actual solider programs, however they do have programs designed for civilians.

i have spoke to the head of the folks already.

also to point out that the kinderklinik is actually in heidelberg- we live in schwetzngen which is about 15-20 depending on stau to the doorsteps of the klinik

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Hi & welcome Sandra. You sure have a lot ahead of you and everyone's given you some great advice - nothing to add.

Hugs and hang in there. You're doing the best you can right now.

Sheila

Can't help wondering whether difficult child has some sensory issues. An individual can has sensory issue without have full-blown Sensory Integration Disorder (SID).

Sensory Integration Disorder often co-exists with other neurological disorders. One of the many symptoms can be that a child has a very low pain tolerance; another may have a very high pain tolerance.

Just throwing out another potential.

And welcome aboard!

sandrainde

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I would hazard to guess that stability (no further self harm) would be the highest priority.
</div></div>

that is one primary issue about him moving here. not only self harm but harm to others as well. he has had conflicts with his sisters.

we know he needs head on care. one on one parenting you could say. no other kids around- no other distractions ( which trust me in that house that he lives in now- it is full of them! which just makes my blood boil :mad:)

i was going to bring him out to europe in january, however due to budgets on my husband's side of things with work, they did not budget the school for this year. and at the time, i just could not afford $8000 or 12K Euro (that is what the international school tut was and it was based on approval) to place him in school. therefore as parents we made the decision to let him finish out the school year and start fresh here come this summer. i am actually flying out to pick him up after he gets out of school. we had thought about homeschooling him and was even prepared to hire private teachers to make sure his IEP needs were met- however his doctors feel that would not be wise- due to his issues. they feel that he needs the socialization. he really does not make friends, so i really concur with that. we do have homeschooling networks out here, however i think they are more on a religious path than we ( not that there is anything wrong with that- just we all have different paths) i dont think that homeschooling network would have worked well for him because of that. i also dont have american children or kids actually living in my building. i am surround by germans, young and old- not much for a homeschool kid to have socialization.

i just really wish i could figure it all out. but i think we all feel that way.

TerryJ2

Hi Sandra (a fellow artist! :grin:)
so sorry to hear about this issue. It is really strange. Can you get him to be more specific on why his teeth are bothering him? Like, too big, too pointy, achey behind the gums, noisy if he's clenching them? Either way, he's obsessing/fixating, but if you can at least address part of the issue maybe it will help.
Best of luck with-your diagnosis... I know it can't happen too soon! I feel for you.
:flower:

sandrainde

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TerryJ2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Sandra (a fellow artist! :grin:)
so sorry to hear about this issue. It is really strange. Can you get him to be more specific on why his teeth are bothering him? Like, too big, too pointy, achey behind the gums, noisy if he's clenching them? Either way, he's obsessing/fixating, but if you can at least address part of the issue maybe it will help.
Best of luck with-your diagnosis... I know it can't happen too soon! I feel for you.
:flower:
</div></div>

actually i asked him details about this...his reponse...
"i dont know"
i think the whole they were bothering him, may have been an excuse. and he is actually hiding the real fact of why. okay maybe i am over analizing.
but then again "i dont know" if i knew i would not be here. lol
a sense of humor is the only thing i have left.

busywend

Enuresis - another word for you to search on.

You mentioned he takes a medication for not wetting his pants. The word above is the name for that. I assume all the medical checks were done to check it out - is it a medical problem? DOes he have trouble with the other, too? Encropesis - inability to hold bowel movements.

rejectedmom

My difficult child did this at around age 9 or ten. He wanted money from the tooth fairy and ended up pulling out some of his adult teeth. He did stop when we told him there was no tooth fairy and it was us who had given him money when he was younger.
difficult child's teeth did drift and we were going to get him a bridge but he ended up in the system before we could get the cosmetics done. Is you son socially delayed by a number of years? Could a visit from the tooth fairy be the reason he did this? -RM

sandrainde

Enuresis i could not remember that word earlier. thanks.

he has been to a doctor, had his prostate and bladder checked- everything normal.

no problems with the other.

sandrainde

he is delayed socially- the tooth fairy was a myth many moons ago in the family.

so i think we can rule that one out.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
It sounds like you're doing a pretty darn good job getting things lined up for difficult child. And I am glad to see you and your ex working together for your son's benefit.

Remember to pace yourself. Learning all you can is a good thing. It's just next to impossible to absorb it all at once.

Hang in there. :smile:

sunnystorm

Hi! I just found your post. My son is 10 and has ADHD, Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD), & an anxiety disorder. He just started the teeth pulling thing in the past few months. I am pretty sure he is just pulling out baby teeth but definitely pulling them before they are ready to come out. As soon as he realizes the tooth will move at all, he will work on it until it is out- usually in an hour or two. He has brought me 2 teeth in one day before. He is getting to his molars now- I am VERY concerned. He has admitted that he is forcing them out. We just saw his doctor last week and he said he hasn't heard of the teeth pulling before. He has also started pulling his hair out. He has been chewing the skin on his fingers & popping his knuckles (constantly) for a long time but the hair & teeth pulling is new. I just wondered what happened with your son. Did you ever get any answers or find any more information. I haven't found very much at all!

idohope

Hi,

I dont think this is as extreme as your son but my difficult child removed 5 teeth within a 1 month period at age 11. They were all baby teeth. She became fixated on them and then just worked them with her tongue and fingers till they came out. She has an anxiety disorder with some Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) tendencies. She had some bad cavities and the dentist wanted to pull one of the baby teeth. She refused and then refused to go to the dentist until all the teeth were out. She actually went through a couple of weeks in a lot of pain with one of these teeth about 1 year before she decided to get them out herself. She was willing to go to the dentist once they were all out. She is no longer fixated on her teeth and so this does not appear to be an ongoing problem. But she does get fixated on physical things that then morph to mild self mutilation. (e.g. a pimple turned to two months of bleeding scabs on her face).

I think the suggestion to prioritize the issues with your son is a great one as there is a lot to deal with. I also think a visit with a pyschiatrist would be very high priority.

Hugs and good luck

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
This is a very old thread....

Perhaps the mods could move new member SunnyStorm's post to a new thread of her own so that her issue can get some attention?

timer lady

Queen of Hearts
DF, you're right this thread is over 4 years old. I just reported it to the mods because I was concerned about my response - didn't remember posting the link I did. Thought someone was getting into my account.

JLyen

I am having a similar situation with my 7 year old son pulling his adult teeth out. Did you find anything that worked????? Please, please help. We have already shelled out almost 600 on his braces and more to come. He is only 7 though. He has diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD), adhd, odd, mood disregulation, depression. He takes abilify and prosac. He also wets the bed at least once a week.
I am 28
Name Jenny
Married for almost nine years
We are a military family
Have 2 children one with Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) and one with Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)
I have diagnosis of major depressive disorder, gen anxiety disorder, and adhd

Status
Not open for further replies.