Help! Need doggie treat recipes!!!

tiredmommy

Hello! "My" girl scouts have decided on their Bronze Award project and one component includes making doggie treats for our local animal shelter. I've never made doggie treats and I don't have a dog so I wouldn't know a good recipe that's relatively healthy, inexpensive and easy to use if it walked up and bit me. So... I'm turning to the experts! Please post your recipes so that I can run them by the girls and they can vote to make one or more of them for a very deserving group of pooches. TIA!!!:cool_dog:

KTMom91

I have a wonderful recipe for dog biscuits, and you can decorate them like extremely expensive cookies.

2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup cornmeal
2/3 cup broth
6 tablespoons vegetable oil

Mix, roll out (I found it doesn't roll out too well straight from the bowl, so I take handfuls and flatten it out first), then cut into shapes with cookie cutters. Bake in 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes.

Decorate with candy disks from Michael's and sprinkles. Most of the colored disks don't have chocolate in them, but check. I usually dip half the biscuit in the melted candy and add sprinkles...red and green for Christmas, purple and orange for Halloween, etc.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
You can also use almond bark for dipping.

Wee got a whole book of dog treat recipes if you'd like some additional ones to sift through. However, we made Mary's last winter and they were great.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Does anyone have the one you use the maccaroni and cheese powdered cheese mix with -

KT - does that make a lot of bixit's?

KTMom91

I think I got about two dozen out of a batch, using regular sized cookie cutters. Petsmart charges around $20 for a tiny box of gourmet dog cookies, and I knew I could do better.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
We spent $5 on the ingredients (we had home-canned chicken broth, tho) and Wee made 5 or 6 batches and still had stuff leftover to make more.

And it was fun. I did it from my chair! lol