Help...Red Wine Advice

trinityroyal

Step, did your mother in law get you Vidal ice wine? If you prefer a drier wine, then you might want to look into red ice wines. They're still a bit more viscous than regular wine, but don't have that sweet gloopy-ness of the white ice wines. They're also affected by what you eat with them. If you have dark chocolate or something, it tends to mellow the flavour a bit.

I live pretty close to the Ontario wine region where a lot of the very nice ice wines originate. If you ever get to the Niagara region, a wine tour is a lovely way to spend an afternoon.

DDD

sister in law really enjoyed the wine. I was right that she drinks a glass of red for the health benefits. She became an expert in nutrients etc. when she had breast cancer thirty years ago and daily takes supplements to build her immune system. She's healthy as a horse and was delighted with the meal last night. So much for my tentative plan to cook hamburgers on the grill tonight. LOL DDD

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Trinity - yeah... I tried a red as well. Just not my thing, LOL! And they were served with cheesecake...

DDD, I am glad your friend has done the research. As for grilling burgers - why not? Honestly, anymore, turkey burgers taste about the same. They're just a bit drier, is all...

Marguerite

Step, a good ice wine can be on-sold for big bucks. Next time she give you a bottle, put it on eBay. Or lay it down to 10 years or 20, and then put it on eBay. We bought some similar German dessert wines back in 1976, I think we have a bottle or two left. About ten years ago we were told we could finance a trip to Germany from what we would raise from it.

So if you find it too sweet (and it IS supposed to be drunk like it's sherry) then don't drink it, sell it. You should never drink anything you don't like. Not even if it's supposed to be the best. It's not the best for you.

Marg