Help!! Teacher hit my son.

SnowAngel

The principal is extremely nice and wont tollerate any nonsense in her school. She has dealt with peanut on a daily basis as he cant stay in his seat and gets sent to her. She even offers to sit in class with him if he would like her to. She said last night that my boys have always told her the truth even when they are in the wrong.

I totally am praying for a misunderstanding, however my boys know what hitting is. They were abused by my ex physically and I never spank my children. I even told my son it had to be an accident where the teacher(counselor) bumped into him. He says no mom his hand smacked my but like this and then he shows me..

K

Kjs

You cannot touch a student in a public school here.

Many years ago my sister lived in Texas, and I went to visit her. she took me to school with her and I sat next to her desk. I was 14 (many years ago) I was just blown away that she had a paddle in her room. She said, Oh, yes. Sometimes when they misbehave they just get up and bend over by themselves. Although she never could do it and had them sent to the principal.

I thought they did away with that.

SnowAngel

The teacher(who I latter found out was a counselor) was'nt even working with my son. He only comes into his class to work with another boy, my son has never talked with this man. My son was talking to another student (not the one with the counselor)standing by his desk while it was classwork time. When he gets into trouble at school the teacher or principal e-mail me so I know what is going on as I requested. I never received any e-mails.

They dont practice corpral punishment in AZ. We have enough going on here without adding more to my plate. Monday I have to be at the school by 7:00am, I have a psychiatric evaluation for peanut at 11:00am and my cousins 6 month old baby girl is having open heart surgery for the 4th time and the dr says he rarely performs her kind of surgery which is extremely risky.

I appreciate everyones advice. I too hope with all my heart it is a misunderstanding, but I feel in my heart he is telling the truth.

DDD

Does it surprise anyone to know that where we live...CP is a
standard and one has to sign and file a paper to prevent it from
happening?? :nonono: DDD

susiestar

Roll With It
Sending great big gentle hugs and fun family activities to help you destress. And a nice long bath for mom.

Come monday morning, be aware of the rules for corporal punishment (TOTALLY unacceptable in our SD) and be aware of your own stress levels. While this needs to be handled, you already have a huge load of stress on Monday. If it needs to wait until Tues, maybe difficult child could stay home for the day and go back on Tues after you speak to the principal.

Please take notes during the meeting. After the meeting (when you have a bit of free time), type the notes into a letter or email. Send a copy to the principal, cc to superintendent or whomever is appropriate, so that you are both on the same page. With such a stressful day it may be important to take the notes so that you keep everything straight.

This sounds strange to be a misunderstanding. Most kids understand what a spank or swat is, even if their parents don't use that method of discipline.

Try to take it easy on the whole family this weekend!

Susie

SnowAngel

I appreciate the different view points that have been posted. I dont know if I am more upset that he was hit or that a form of trust in the school employees has been broken.

We tell our children that they can trust school teachers, police officers and doctors if they ever need help. I feel really bad that this might affect the way he trusts teachers. I have tried not to show my emotion and handle this like well accidents happen and we will see what we can do to fix it. But he still doesnt want to go to school...ever.

I am late coming to this thread.

I am so sorry that your son feels this way.

Big hugs (well, not THAT big) to him from Auntie Bad Kitty. And sending strength to Mama Desari for Monday. Whatever happened, the boy should feel safe at school.

You'll be in my prayers.

Stella Johnson

Maybe I am missing something. Was difficult child acting up or doing anything when the counselor spanked him?
Seems strange that if he wasn't doing anything that someone would come up and slap his behind.

Sounds like there is more to the story. I hope it all gets worked out soon.

Keep us updated.

Steph

BusynMember

I'd never send my child to a school if they hit and it wasn't an option not to allow outsiders to spank my kid. I can't believe that really happens anymore. Where I went to school as a kid they didn't allow it THEN...I can't believe some do it NOW.
At any rate, I would never side with a strange adult who laid a hand on my kid. Call me and let me deal with my child my way. Keep your hands to yourself and you won't get into trouble. Teachers nowadays know better than to smack kids. A swat on the butt can seem sexual to some kids who have had certain experiences, even if it's playful. Just a dumb thing to do. A spanking in my opinion is way out of line. A psychologist should REALLY know better. JMO

tinamarie1

Where I am from, corp. punishment is still very much alive and well. (in Louisiana) The teachers are not allowed to do it, but the principal and asst. principals are. The thing there is, once you agree to let them do it once, they do not have to get your permission to do it again, they will just do it at their discretion...as often as they see fit. Louisiana has always been wayyyy behind the times though.

SnowAngel

I know I never signed a consent to spank my children. I dont believe in spanking them after seeing the damage my ex did to them. I will press charges if the principal feels after talking with peanut that it happened.

DFrances

Banned
Parents and experts alike often hold different opinions on whether spanking is an appropriate way to control a child who is misbehaving. Depending on what state you live in, the law assumes that spanking a child to ‘correct’ the child’s behavior is not against the law as long as the force used is reasonable.

Every school teacher, parent or person standing in the place of a parent is justified in using force by way of correction toward a pupil or child, as the case may be, who is under his care, if the force does not exceed what is reasonable under the circumstances.

Now, that being said .... Hitting children teaches them to become hitters themselves. In many cases of so-called "bad behavior", the child is simply responding in the only way he can, given his age and experience. Punishment distracts the child from learning how to resolve conflict in an effective and humane way.

Punishment interferes with the bond between adult and child, as it is not human nature to feel loving toward someone who hurts us. There are positive ways of relating to children. Punishment may appear to produce "good behavior" in the early years, but always at a high price, paid by parents and by society as a whole, as the child enters adolescence and early adulthood. Even relatively moderate spanking can be physically dangerous. Blows to the lower end of the spinal column send shock waves along the length of the spine, and may injure the child. The prevalence of lower back pain among adults in our society may well have its origins in childhood punishment. Some children have become paralyzed through nerve damage from spanking, and some have died after mild paddlings, due to undiagnosed medical complications.

Physical punishment gives the dangerous and unfair message that "might makes right", that it is permissible to hurt someone else, provided they are smaller and less powerful than you are.

The child then concludes that it is permissible to mistreat younger or smaller children. When he becomes an adult, he can feel little compassion for those less fortunate than he is, and fears those who are more powerful. This will hinder the establishment of meaningful relationships so essential to an emotionally fulfilling life. Because children learn through adult modeling, physical punishment gives the message that hitting is an appropriate way to express feelings and to solve problems. If a child does not observe an adult solving problems in a creative and humane way, it can be difficult for him to learn to do this himself.

Gentle instruction, supported by a strong foundation of love and respect, is the only truly effective way to bring about commendable behavior based on strong inner values, instead of superficially "good" behavior based only on fear.

donna723

They still do it here too. But even back when my kids were in school, the parents had to sign a sheet giving their permission. It wasn't a one-time or an incident-by-incident thing though. If you signed the sheet, it stayed in their file, and pretty well gave the school the right to do anything they wanted to for the whole school year. We just had an incident at the middle school where a parent had complained to the school board because her child came home with bruises! Nothing will be done though. I really don't understand it. If a parent had left bruises on their child, Childrens' Services would be all over them and the child would probably end up in a foster home!

I never would sign the permission slip. When my daughter was caught smoking in the bathroom or my son carried his "class clown" act a little too far, they ended up in in-school suspension for a few days. Actually, they loved it!

BusynMember

Wow.
I know corporal punishment in school doesn't happen here.Not even in the private schools. Any teacher who touches a kid can lose his or her job. Guess I'd better stay up here because I'd never tolerate anyone deciding it's all right to smack my child. I decide how to discipline my child, not you. Not THAT way.

SnowAngel

I feel the same way..No one has the right to hit my child. This man wasnt my sons teacher or counselor. He probably doesnt know my sons name. My son doesnt know his name either. He should not have even been around my son. He is just some other kids counselor.

Somebody mentioned to me that they hoped it was a form of punishment and that he wasnt trying to see what his boundries are with him on a sexual basis. That thought never crossed my mind. I was sick to my stomach thinking the man hit him. I watch the news, worked in the ER and I guess nothing should be shocking to me anymore. You never get used to the thought of a child as a victim of abuse, neglect or even their rights being violated.

I guess I will get more info on Monday. Meanwhile I have a 9yr old that is refusing to go back to school. I hate struggling with them in the morning. It really makes the day start off difficult.

Steely

My first thought when I read your thread was that the man was not trying to discipline him, but rather he had some other inappropriate motive. I think it will be important to have witnesses. It sounds like other teachers were in the room and could verify to you whether or not Peanuts was acting up or not during this time. If he was, then the train of thought would be that the counselor was intervening in an inappropriate discipline fashion. If Peanuts was minding his own business, than I would have to assume that the only reason the counselor would touch Peanuts in that way would be for his own sick, possibly sexual, interest.

Good luck - and please keep us posted. And just keep reassuring Peanuts that you will take care of all of this. I think kids need to hear the vigilante parent voice "that will protect him and take care of him no matter what", when they are faces with disturbing situations like this.

SRL

As a parent you need to be an advocate for your child. But I will caution before you jump to the worst conclusions that at times kids--and we see it all the time with our difficult children--can have very different perceptions of the same situation that an adult does.

Once when I was teaching high school two girls got in a physical scuffle in my classroom. They did split apart as a result of my verbal command but they continued to fling verbal assualts at each other and tensions were very high and I needed to seperate them. I instructed one of them to go down to the dean's office--it was the girl that was closest to the classroom door to go down. She picked up her stuff and headed out but then turned back around in the doorway and started yelling. By this time I *really* needed to get her out of there so I placed my hand on her shoulder in hopes I could gently guide her to turn around. In response she hauled off and gave me a good hard push...and then realizing what she had done she turned and left for the office.

However...the next day when I met with her mother and the principal it was mother threatening to bring in her lawyer to observe because 1) I had shoved her daughter and 2) I had demonstrated probable racist behavior since the girl I sent down to the office was black and the one I had remain in the classroom was white. First of all there's no way I would have shoved her daughter because she weighed a whole lot more than I did and I would have had to have been a whole lot more desperate to handle a student in that manner. And two, race had nothing to do with it. Only a fool of a teacher would direct the kid in the back of the room walk by the kid in the front of the room when they were in the midst of an altercation.

Exact same situation--very different perceptions of reality on my part and the part of the student.

Kathy813

Staff member
It seems highly unlikely to me that someone who had the intent of molesting a child would do it with other students and another adult in the classroom.

It also seems unlikely that in the same circumstances a counselor would haul off and hit a child.

I hope it turns out that it is simply a case of misunderstanding or a misperception like SRL described.

~Kathy