Help with Windows Vista and parental controls for time limits

mistmouse

Can anybody tell me what I am doing wrong in setting it up so there are time limits for my daughter's use on the computer? I have had Windows Vista for a couple of years and just found out you can set time limits for usage. However, I set the amount of time she could be on...say from 1PM to 4PM and 4PM came and went and no notification that she was going to be logged off. Does it go by some other time than my time that is showing on my status bar at the bottom of the computer? I don't know what I did wrong, but I want to find out and fix it since my daughter is unable to follow any time limits given her and I am not going to allow unlimited use of the computer. Thank you in advance for any help.

mistmouse

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Make sure you save the setting at the bottom of the page by clicking on "OK" before you close the window. Ours usually notifies the user when they are soon to be logged off... any chance she just missed the message and was too engrossed in whatever she was doing?

I have to limit the hours our easy child is accessible as well. Lots of impulse control and internal clock issues in our family, too!

mistmouse

I thought I did click on OK at the bottom to save the settings, but perhaps I will make sure I check that again the next time. As for her missing the notification that she was about to be logged off, yes, that is possible she would miss it, however it didn't log her off when her time was up. That was the problem I had. So, I will make sure I did/do click on OK to save the setting, although when I went back in and checked it after she got off the timeframe I had set was what was still set. Anyway, she has to meet certain requirements this next week when she goes back to school in order to earn computer time next weekend, so I will see if it works then.

It is amazing how they lose complete awareness of the passing of time, isn't it?

mistmouse

gcvmom

Here we go again!
That's strange that it didn't lock her out once the time was up. You're sure you selected the correct user account for the time limit? She wasn't logged in as another user?

I understand that some very computer savvy kids can get around some of these locks, but I personally have no idea how that would be done, and none of my kids has figured (or even thought to try) it out.

Both my difficult child's have a lousy internal clock. And even husband isn't that great with some stuff like that, but he's a lot better than they are. :)

Lothlorien

I was thinking the same thing.....is she on as a different user? I haven't figured out the parental controls. I had Missy on her on user account, but every time she clicked on a link in a website that started a game or something, I had to go into the administrative account to okay it. It was super annoying, so now I let her on my user account, but monitor her usage carefully.

slsh

member since 1999
Mistmouse- computers are all Greek to me, but I wanted to say Howdy, good to see you around, and HOLY COW!!! difficult child cannot possibly be 15. 15? No, absolutely not possible!!! :stopglass:

I guess time flies when we're having fun. :rofl: (OK, so maybe not so much fun, LOL.) I hope things are going well (better) for you guys. Good to see you!

mistmouse

gcvmom and lothlorien: I am certain she was logged on to her own account since I had made that mistake the first time of forgetting to log out of my account and into hers. The second time I let her on I made sure I logged her onto her own account. There are only two users on the computer, me and her. That is why I was asking you experts for help. LOL She isn't computer savvy enough to get around them.

slsh: good to see you too. I am still around on a daily basis on the forum, but you know the reasons I rarely post. Yes, it is hard for me to believe that difficult child is 15. I had my grandkids here for a few days after Christmas and my five year old granddaughter says to difficult child, "you've got boobs!" She doesn't see her often. LOL Things are going much better at school, at least behavior wise. Seems difficult child thought this year (first year of high school no less) was the year to goof off and not do her homework so she has bad grades. I am trying to let her manage that and just grounding her, but it is hard since she never had anything below a B all the years prior, not even when her behaviors were at their worst. Anyway, time flies for sure, fun or not. LOL Your kids are growing up too, or some are grown up. How did that happen? But I am getting off topic. Obviously we still have issues at home, but she is a teenager, and a female teenager at that. I have found out girls are much harder to raise through puberty than boys are.

mistmouse

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I have found out girls are much harder to raise through puberty than boys are.

Oh geez, don't say that! My two older boys are difficult child's and my one and only easy child is a girl -- I was SOOOO hoping she'd give me a break! :faint:

witzend

How about if you set up a quick temporary one for yourself and see if it works? That way you can tweak it until you have it right before her next round of computer time comes up.

mistmouse

gcvmom...hopefully since your girl is a easy child she won't give you the same trouble as my difficult child. I just know that puberty has been much worse for her than either of my boys.

witz...that is a good idea on setting up a temporary one for myself to check to see if it will work and tweak it. Don't know why I didn't think of that. LOL Thanks.

mistmouse