Here Again

BWest

I had posted a thread back in July because our doctor had implied odd tendencies because of an exam gone bad. At the time difficult child (newly three) has some defiant tendencies at home but had no problems at school. It seems as though the doctor's words were a self-fulfilling prophecy though. difficult child's behavior is getting worse and worse. He seems so angry. He can not stand to be told no and will usually scream and lash out physically at me or my husband. He is also physically aggressive with our neighbor (2 yr. little girl) but at the same time says he loves her and calls her his sister. At school, he was put back in the 2/3 class because he could not sit still and stay focussed in the 3/4 class at the beginning of year. He started being defiant in the 3/4 class...refusing to nap and screaming and running around the room, throwing blankets while others tried to nap. He's done much better back in the 2/3 class however that teacher has expressed concern because he looses his temper, screams, throws toys and occasionally hits other children (but only when provoked). What he gets upset about seems pretty normal for a 3, its the velocity of his emotion and physical aggressiveness that worries me. He has an appointment with a therapist who uses play therapy on Wednesday. Have any of you had experience with play therapy? I'm hoping she can help him better control his emotions and express them in more positive ways as well as give my husband and me some help in working with him at home. I'm just having a really hard time worrying that something may be wrong. Thanks for listening/reading:)

P.S. How do you create a signature?

BW

BusynMember

Is his development on target? How is his speech, his imaginative playl? Can he interact well with his peers (this is hard due to his age). Does he look strangers in the eyes? Can he transition from one activity to another without a meltdown? Does he flap his arms or make odd noises with his mouth? Any obsessions, like lightswitches or staring at leaves?
Are there any psychiatric problems or substance abuse on either side of his family tree?
I would have a complete evaluation done. The earlier you know what's wrong, the easier it is to fix it. I am not that familiar with play therapy but in my opinion it won't be enough.

BWest

Everything else is on target. He has no developmental delays, obsessions, fixations, tics, repetitive movements/gestures. He is affectionate to others without instigation. He does look strangers in the eye. Intellectually, he knows his colors, shapes, numbers, counting to 20 and counting objects to about 12. He knows his abcs and recognizes the first and last letters of his name. He can draw a circle and pretty much make it a smiley. The only psychiatric issues in our family is me with anxiety and mood swings which may have influenced some of his behavior. I've worked with several children who are autistic and those within the spectrum of autism and. I don't think its anything like that.

SRL

We've had a few parents report that play therapy has helped but honestly, not a high number. I would venture a guess that it would be most helpful not as a standalone, but as part of a total treatment package once a thorough multidisciplinary evaluation has been done.

Have you revisted the doctor of the exam gone bad to get his/her opinion now that you're a ways down the road? I couldn't find the thread to see what happened there.

If you don't have a copy of the book The Explosive Child you'll want to pick one up, as well as read through the thread on adapting it for younger children at the top of this board.

BusynMember

I would get him evaluated by a neuropsychologist. He could have the beginning of a mood disorder, since it runs in the family. These kids are very defiant. Have you called your school district? You may be able to get him help in an Early Intervention program.