Here I go again

Should I send money to him for test strips again for his diabetes?

• Wire him the money

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Kathy813

Staff member
They can go to food banks and local churches for assistance. There are also programs for families with children. WIC is one of them. I think you can also get emergency food stamps when children are involved.

It they truly can't provide for those children then they should be reported to DFACS.

Don't give him any more money. I believe he is using you and you are not being told the truth. Addicts will do anything to get the money for drugs. I don't think the money you send is being spent on the children.

~Kathy

Kathy813

Staff member
I wanted to add that Walmart is absolutely the cheapest place for insulin and supplies. One of our dogs is diabetic and uses human insulin. I checked on prices by calling around and got everything from $150 a bottle to $25 for the same bottle. The $25 bottle was from Walmart so that is what we use. The syringes are also half the price there as compared to my local pharmacy and vet's office.

ksm

In my state, it can take at least a month to get an answer for food stamps. You used to be able to walk in and get an answer the same day. Now I guess they send the info off to a different state office.

Thanks, Governor Brownback...the most disliked governor in the US.

Ksm

in a daze

In my state, it can take at least a month to get an answer for food stamps. You used to be able to walk in and get an answer the same day. Now I guess they send the info off to a different state office.

Thanks, Governor Brownback...the most disliked governor in the US.

Ksm

So sorry. Yes, I've heard about Brownback. Is Kansas worse than Illinois? Our state is broke. Every other governor has gone to prison for corruption.

I had good results contacting our state senator about Illinois Medicaid's sudden refusal to cover our son's medication, the only medication that has worked to treat his major depression. It took a letter and several phone calls, and though we got a letter saying it was approved the day after I contacted their office, it took several weeks for them to get the message to Walgreens.

One shouldn't have to go hungry or be suicidal because of the inertia of our state agencies!

susiestar

Roll With It
I would strongly suggest that EVERYONE who takes a brand name medication, or uses a brand name health item like a diabetes test strip, google the name of the item/drug and go to the website. They usually have an easy to find button to help patients save money - even patients with insurance. I recently was put on a brand name medication that would have a copay that we just couldn't afford. The manufacturer has a program to cover the copay of the first month entirely and 70% of the copay for the next year after that. It is a simple thing to apply for, though in my case they messed up when I called to activate it and it took me five phone calls and three trips to the pharmacy to fix things, but it got fixed. I have another medication with a high copay that I was able to get the manufacturer to pay most of. It makes life easier for me because we couldn't afford the medications otherwise, but NO ONE asked my income on these forms or for these programs. So anyone with a little patience can find them and use them.

I would NOT send him money. You simply don't have the resources to do so, and you need to take care of yourself FIRST, before you start taking care of your son. HE chose to have the children, and it is his job to figure out how to take care of them. WIC starts the day you sign up in every state - it is a federal program and that is part of the mandate. They qualify for that and will get quite a bit of food and even infant formula for the baby. EACH child gets benefits usually and the pregnant mom does too. Food stamps can take a week or so to start, but emergency benefits are usually easy to get, unless you have defrauded the system in the past. If he tells them he has diabetes and cannot get test strips, they can point him to less expensive machines and strips or help him get the strips he needs at a much reduced cost. His story about having to wait so long does not make sense given what I know about the Dept of Human Services.

lovemyson1

From experience with heroin and my son, I would advice you to stop any monetary gifts. Encourage him to get clean, get help with his addiction. They just can't be trusted and will manipulate until you don't allow it. I'm so sorry for what you're going through, especially sad for the children. Great advice from our experienced forum group.