Here is my Story... I am sorry so long...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
David

Huge CONGRATS on the job!!!! :bravo: :dance:

Kuddos for calling the doctor for an appoint for yourself.

You're taking steps in the right direction. Sometimes they are just baby steps, but it's all good as long as they are steps forward.

((hugs))

:snowman:

mum2JK&TH

Congratulations on the job!!!! See things are already looking up. It's amazing what powers this board has.

Make sure this time you don't cancel that Dr.'s appointment. Our health is so vital in making sure our kids can become healthy. If we as parents are not well, we aren't going to be able to help our kids be well.

Fingers crossed that the upwards spiral keeps spinning!

TerryJ2

CONGRATULATIONS ON THE JOB!!!! Way To Go! That will surely get you up and dressed! I am so happy for you.
So sorry about your son. I ditto the comments and advice you've rec'd so far.
Welcome!

trinityroyal

Hello David,

Welcome to the board, and congratulations on the new job.
I agree with everyone else who has advised you to keep that doctor's appointment.

I'm so sorry that you've had to go through so much pain and hurt, but it seems like things are starting to turn around for you.

Take care of you, so that you can be strong for your son.

All the best
Trinity

nvts

David! What great news!

:bravo:

Oh, I'm soooo psyched! Handling the depression, getting a job, you win the lottery next - you have to share, um, it's the...uh...rules? Yeah right, thaaaat's it!

:smile:

Have a great time on the new job!

Man, I love seeing things happen that work out for the best! It's like a teeny tiny present in the middle of the day!

Beth

:xmasdec:

DavidWH

Again thank you all for being so kind I can not tell you how much this means to me...I have heard nothing but negative for so long...

I just got the return call.. I have a Jan. 2nd appointment for a Dr to see me, I expressed what you guys have that I should see someone asap they said nope not till then

DDD

If you have to wait for the appointment, start a project at home
to keep you occupied after work. Perhaps you could start walking
after work or on the weekend. Find a group that needs volunteer
help. Just find something to keep you busy, sober and focused
on something positive.

You can do it!!!!! DDD

meowbunny

Sounds like you've been self-medicating for a long, long time. I don't know if you are a functional alcoholic but it does sound like you are on the road to becoming one. Please be careful about this. Your son is going to need you tremendously when he comes home.

I know my daughter's transition from Residential Treatment Center (RTC) to home was very traumatic. I needed to be at the absolute top of my game, even more so than when she was totally out of control. It would have taken very little for me to lose her.

Now is the time for you to do everything you can to become the best, strongest parent you know how to be. Your new job, medications, therapy will help. So will going out and doing things. Exercise is great in helping depression and it certainly doesn't hurt your health. The less you drink, the better it will be for you.

goldenguru

David~

Another quicker route to some mental health care is to go to your local emergency room. Tell them what you've told us. The drinking - the crying -inability to get out of the house, etc. I believe that they would prescribe you something until that January appointment.

I hope the job situation works out for you. That would be a first great step.

As 'comforting' as the alcohol is temporarily, I'm sure you're aware that it actually is a depressant. And while it offers temporary relief - in the long run it's only making your emotional state worse. Please consider that.

As I shared early on - my daughter was in a program for 16 months. I went back and forth between the conviction that she was where she needed to be and the overwhelming urge to hop on a plane and bring her home. Honestly, it was my husband that kept me from bringing her home. So I certainly understand the tug and pull you're experiencing.

I had to learn to let my head prevail (my intellect, my factual understanding of my daughters situation) over my heart (my emotions, and the horrid feeling of having abandoned her). In these incredibly difficult times of life, sometimes we have to really depend on our good common sense and try to quiet our hurting heart.

If it makes you any more at ease - our daughter is home and doing fine. She's not perfect. But, she's alive. She's happy.

I still don't know about the whole idea of institutionalizing our kids - but I do know that we were not able to parent our very troubled daughter. No family has those types of emotional, mental and intellectual resources.

Hang in there. Come here often. It really helps.

Hugs.