Here We Go Again!

JKF

So here it is....morning. Didn't hear anything from the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) or ER last night so I called the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) first thing this morning to find out what's going on. Apparently difficult child is still in the ER waiting to see the psychiatrist. Once he sees the psychiatrist then they will know whether or not he will be admitted to a psychiatric hospital somewhere. I am SO glad I refused to drive down there yesterday. If I had I would have been the one sitting there for almost 24 hours. I've been through that more than one time before and those days are over. If they find a hospital for him that's somewhat local I will be happy to drive there to sign him in. If they can't find anything local they will have to take my verbal consent and send or fax me the papers to sign. If they don't like it they can call DYFS. That threat does NOT scare me anymore because I know I've done everything I can do. These people need to realize that I also have another child to care for and that all of this stuff with his brother affects him more than anything. It's not fair for HIM to have to be put on the backburner all the time so that we can tend to difficult child's needs constantly.

JKF

Ok so difficult child is now officially admitted to yet another psychiatric hospital! And guess what?? They "pulled strings" and faxed me the paperwork so I wouldn't have to drive there to sign him in! The whole process is just nuts and I'm done with it. difficult child made it clear that unless he can come home he will kill himself. He said he won't take no for an answer. Well sorry but he's not coming home! He can stay in the hospital if he's that much of a threat to himself. I refuse to bring him home at this point. He needs to realize it's time to stop playing these games.

JKF

So difficult child called me before. He was like I'm in the hospital. I said yes I know. He said he hates the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) and wants to come home. I said I'm sorry but you know what you need to do before you can come home. Then he starts going on about how my husband and I never gave him a chance and how we sent him back to residential after he messed up only once. That is so not true and I can't believe he actaully believes that. We gave him SO MANY chances but he continued to self destruct more and more each day. He then informed me that he will continue this behavior (running away, going to the hospital, etc) until I agree to let him come home. That is not going to happen and if I need to send him to someplace more secure than I will. I don't feel safe with him in our home. Even the staff at the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) was like wow he's one person one day and a completely different person the next. Also, they saw how he gets when he rages. He's not there. It's like he's empty inside and that's terrifying. All they asked him to do was clean his room and that was it! He freaked!!! I can't let him come home. I'm scared to death that he will run away from the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) and come here and do something to us. I just don't know what to do anymore. All I know is that at least for tonight (and hopefully for a few more nights after this) we're safe since he's in a locked psychiatric ward. After that I don't know anymore.

L

Liahona

The next time he does one of those manipulative threatening phone calls remind him that there are people who spend there whole lives locked away from others because they are so mentally ill and so dangerous they can't be trusted. Then stop taking his calls. Or maybe just stop taking his calls now and forget the talk with him.

How many hours away is he now?

How many months until 18?

JKF

How many hours away is he now?

How many months until 18?

He is approximately 3 hours away in a psychiatric hospital. It was the only one with an open bed so he was admitted there. I'm not worried because it's a locked facility. What I'm worried about is when he gets out and goes back to the Residential Treatment Center (RTC) which is only approx 30 minutes away from our home. That is NOT a locked facility and if he runs away they can't not go after him. Only the police can. :(

Also, he has 9 more months until he is 18. I can't wait but I hope we make it that long! It seems so far away at this point!!!

L

Liahona

I'm sorry. You must be living on the edge of emotions.

Look at the silver lining: he is saying if he can't come home then he will kill himself. If he says he will kill himself then he will stay in a locked phos 3 hours away. As long as you keep saying he can't come home he is going to be in a safe environment locked far away from you. He can stay there for the next 9 months. Maybe even learn something from it. Win-win.

Doubt they'll actually keep him there that long, but you can always hope.

I'm hoping you have a good day today. Free from gfgness.

rejectedmom

I am so sorry you are going through this. You could give power of attorney to the Residential Treatment Center (RTC). That way they can sing him in anywhere. I did this when I sent my difficult child to a Residential Treatment Center (RTC) in another State. -RM