Here we go again :(

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Oh JKF, I know that feeling so well. Something Calamity Jane said to me when I was expressing a similar emotion was, "what are you going to do, wear a hair shirt?" I had to look it up to understand, but geez, it made me laugh. I told my codependency group about it and every time one of us would lament about our guilt about our kids and what we have and what they don't (as a result of their choices, by the way) someone would say, "what are you going to do, wear a hair shirt?" It would break that spell of guilt................you made all the right choices, there is nothing else for you to do.........distract yourself with a nice hot bath, a cocktail, a book, a sweet conversation with your husband............ before you know it it will be Friday and he will be back in the shelter.............until then, take care of YOU.

PatriotsGirl

Hang in there...he has to experience this to learn from it. My difficult child was homeless for years....she survived (still waiting for the learn part, though)...

DammitJanet

Well unless he is close enough to smack his mouth for talking to you like that, I would not engage him. Its like trying to stop a character on the TV from spouting ugly words and the only choices you have are either to mute the TV or change the channel.

You can block his phone numbers for the time period he is on the street. If he leaves a message it will go straight to voice mail. Listen later but you dont have talk to him.

I simply wouldnt talk and yeah I know its hard.

Last edited:

scent of cedar

And here comes the guilt.

Right on schedule.

Usually sets in about 12 hours after the initial shock of the latest drama wears off.

I am praying that my tough love will help my difficult child.

I can't believe it went from that back to this in the blink of an eye.

These events are often more traumatic for the parent than for the difficult child. Have faith that your son knows how to take care of himself, that he knows where to land and how to land on his feet. While he isn't doing what you want him to do, he is as fully grown as other 18 year olds who are enlisting in the military or becoming police or firemen, who are fighting to get into the colleges of their choices, who are choosing to marry and support their families however they can.

At 18, your son is a man.

Have faith that he knows what he is doing.

Really, the only thing he DOESN'T know is how much support he can expect from you when he is going a wrong way.

That is what you are teaching him, now.

It's like when he was little, and you felt bad for putting him in time out. Just like now, you were teaching him the rules.

He needs to get it, in no uncertain terms, that whether he takes it seriously or not, you do. He should not be on the streets using whatever he is using. He is darn lucky the half-way house will take him back at all, after what he has done by breaking the simple rules set up to help him reclaim his life.

I know about that feeling that comes twelve hours later. I think guilt is part of it, but I think it has to do with adrenalin and denial (at least, for me it does). I watch myself dealing with horrifying things ~ and I feel nothing. I fix things. I make a thousand phone calls. I shake like a leaf sometimes, but I feel cool as a cucumber in my mind.

Until 12 to 24 hours later.

But I don't know whether it is guilt or rage or self-pity that I am awash in. I do know that when it goes on long enough, I slip into depression.

I just wake up one day (after lying awake all night) and realize I am depressed, after all.

And my difficult child is almost 40 years old.

Who would ever have believed the mother of a 40 year old would still be subject to the tantrums of her difficult child child?

Thank goodness you are self-aware enough to realize what is happening.

I never do know what to do to stop those feelings.

Getting out, seeing people who don't know a thing about it, that helps. Seeing a movie (or watching Beverly Hills Housewives for hours).

Oh oh.

What else have I found myself fixated on this winter.... Egads!

Millionaire Matchmaker.

Million Dollar Listings.

Anderson.

The View.

Vanderpump Rules.

And you know what?

I DON'T USUALLY WATCH TELEVISION.

When I think of the hours of my life I have wasted trying to keep my head empty enough, to keep myself distracted enough, not to feel the pain!

That's what I like about posting here. I knew I was doing that? But I didn't really get it that I was doing it until I wrote it out for you.

I'd better take a serious look at that.

Ew.

I haven't accomplished anything worth mentioning since difficult child came home last summer.

So much of my brain is taken up with difficult child's business.

Rereading this, I realize the name for what we feel is post-traumatic stress, right? Where the emotional response is so much more extreme than the crisis of the moment would dictate.

Hmmm.....

Barbara

JKF

WTW - thank's for the support. I appreciate it so much! The whole FB thing is ridiculous. He mostly sends private messages but yesterday he posted on his public status what a bad mother I am. Everyone, including family members, can see that. Oh well. The only people who matter are the ones who know the situation and know that I'm trying my best to help him. The rest can scratch off.

RE - I like that "hair shirt" thing. I looked it up last night and this morning when I feeling down I said it to myself and laughed!

PG - it's so hard when they don't learn! Sometimes I think my difficult child is starting to get it but then something like this happens and I feel like we're back to square one. So frustrating!!!!

Skotti - LOL! Love it! Trust me - If he was in front of me saying that stuff I don't think I would have been able to hold back from slapping him. It was hard but I didn't take his calls last night. I forced myself to put my phone on the charger and use my Kindle instead. He called 4 times. Very hard for me to limit contact because I like to have that control of knowing what's going on at all times but I did it. Definitely a step in the right direction.

As for today, he messaged me on FB saying that he hasn't slept and that his foot is bloody from walking so much. I briefly responded and said I would let his MHA worker know and that he should look for her at the soup kitchen so she can help him get his medications and bandage his foot up. That was it. I plan to keep the interaction to a minimum today even though I will be worrying about him nonstop. Especially once night falls. That's when it hits me hard - knowing he's out there in the dark all alone with nowhere to go. Plus it's supposed to rain hard and thunder and lightning all night tonight. I really pray that the last 72 hours have been a little wake up call for him. He keeps saying how much he misses SH and can't wait to get back there tomorrow so maybe that's a good sign. I just don't know anymore. Uggggh!

Last edited by a moderator:

JKF

Wow Barbara! You really helped put things into perspective for me. You're right. He's a grown man now and this is the real world. I'm trying to teach him a life lesson and it is VERY similar to the feelings I had when I had to put him in timeout as a child although obviously much more severe at this point. It's not a nice feeling to "punish" your child even when they are doing wrong. I just hope that he "gets it" and does better in the future.

As for my favorite guilty TV pleasures:

HW of Beverly Hills and HW of Orange County
Don't Be Tardy
Vanderpump Rules
Hells Kitchen
Masterchef

I know those shows are not much for the mind and I'm not one to watch a ton of TV but I do love that watching them makes me forget about life for a while.

And yes - PTSD. Pretty much sums it up in a nutshell!

Thank you for your words of wisdom this morning. Like I said, you helped me gain some much needed perspective into this whole situation!

JKF

It's raining so hard here today and it's really taking a lot of self control for me not go get difficult child and bring him home for the night. I feel like a monster because he is wet and tired and hungry out on the streets. I have to stay tough though. First - if I give in he will think he can do this all the time. Second - if I allow him to come home for the night easy child/difficult child will have a realllllly hard time dealing with it. He's been really "off" anyway since difficult child came back to nj. He doesn't understand fully why we won't let difficult child live at home and if we have him there for even a night easy child/difficult child will think it's forever.

I hate this so much! I can't wait until difficult child is safely back at SH tomorrow. One more night to get through. Sigh!

scent of cedar

Can you look at it like an experiment, JKF? Can you look at it as maybe the one thing you haven't tried yet, the one thing that might make a difference?

On the other hand, we all know what we need to do where our difficult children are concerned and yet, we go against those hard-won understandings to do what is also the right thing. Really, there is no right and wrong way to do any of this. We swore we would not pay for a hotel room for difficult child this winter. She called (and called) before, and during, a terrible snow storm. The second she wore us down on one night, she wanted two.

So, we hung up and turned the phone off.

By the next morning, husband and I felt so downright awful that we decided to rent something for difficult child for the three weeks until we got back.

And learned she (and her equally homeless buddies) had been evicted and blacklisted from two of the sleaziest hotel/motels in that city!

So that took care of that.

difficult child and her pals spent the storm in an abandoned house. But can you imagine what it would have cost us had we rented them a room somewhere decent and then, she and her friends had destroyed it?!?

I know how you feel. I do.

Maybe you could rent him a room at the Y?

B.

JKF

Barbara - thank you so much for sharing your experiences and feelings with me. Sometimes I feel like NO ONE in the world understands what this feels like and then I come here and realize that people DO understand. It helps tremendously.

I try to keep a brave face in front of everyone but it's exhausting. I want to break down and scream and cry but I hold myself together and pretend that everything is ok. I've been doing that for years and I don't think I can pretend anymore.

I love my husband with everything that I have but he doesn't quite get how devastated I am. My sons are not his biological kids and while he loves them dearly and provides for them generously he doesn't have that same degree of attachment to them that I do. So even he, my BFF and love of my life, doesn't truly understand what I go through every day.

Anyway - it's storming horribly outside right now. All I can think of is difficult child. I can't change the situation and it sucks. I believe it's RE who says that since she can't fix things for her daughter she mentally sends hugs and love and strength to her. I'm doing the same for my difficult child tonight and I hope with all of my heart that he feels it.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
"It was a dark and stormy night"................sigh...........yes, wrap him up with all your love and hand him over to whatever your perception of a higher power is..........for me, that means my difficult child is in the hands of a powerful force much more knowing then me, able to see the big picture and what all of this may mean for the soul growth of my difficult child........I certainly don't know.............sometimes all you can do is let go.....................and JKF, tomorrow is Friday and your bit of a nightmare will be over.................get into bed with your book and when you wake up, this part will be over............

scent of cedar

Know that we are there with you in spirit, JKF. Do as Recovering suggested. Pray for your child, and place him in God's hands. Remember the Serenity Prayer.

God, grant me the Serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
the Courage to change the things I can,
And the Wisdom to know the difference.

You have made a choice. This is a good and strengthening thing for you and for your family. In a way, this is your first step into a new reality. difficult child has been calling the shots. Now, he is learning that you, in your wisdom and in your love for him, have taken a stand. I think that, painful and confusing as this night will be, your difficult child will come out of this knowing that your expectations are not to be treated casually. There is a reason he is where he is, tonight. He could have made other choices, but he tested the limits. He chose the consequence he is experiencing now.

This night is going to be a valuable learning experience for both of you.

If you could understand that you made your decision for the good of your difficult child and for the good of your family (which is the truth), you may be able to get through it with less anguish. My experience tells me you will suffer, tonight. But tomorrow, when difficult child turns out to have been fine, when you realize you have taken a stand and, more importantly, have not backed down...I think your relationship to difficult child will change. Perhaps, he will begin to understand that you are determined to see him walk a different, and healthier, path.

There is much at stake, tonight. Your task is to survive it.

Everything will look different, tomorrow.

There are 18 year old soldiers out in the world somewhere right now, too. They are sleeping in the rain, they are cold, they are scared. But they are not where they are because of self-indulgence. They are not there because they missed the curfew at their half-way house.

Your difficult child needs to pick up. He needs to step into the man he is becoming. And he needs to do that without blaming or manipulating anyone else for the consequences of his choices.

I'm so sorry this is happening to you, and to your son.

You deserve better than what he is giving you. He was raised better than to do what he is doing, or you would not be here, on this site.

We will all be checking in with you tomorrow, and we will keep your difficult child in our prayers, tonight.

But the choice was his to make.

Barbara

JKF

Well he's finally back at Safe Haven. He's happy to be there. I would be too. It's raining cats and dogs and windy and COLD here! 47 degrees!

Anyway - I'm ok. Battle weary but stronger in spite of it. Time to kick back with a cocktail and enjoy the start of a long weekend. Thank you all again for your support! I don't know how I would be able to get through this stuff without all of your wisdom, advice, and words of encouragement!

scent of cedar

Whew.

Even though you know they're going to be okay? You never really believe it until you hear their voices, again.

And, at least in my difficult child's case? It's always like, "Oh, mom! You shouldn't have worried!" Or, in the lacerated liver incident, "Oh, mom! I didn't know everyone was worried about me!"

I feel like Quasimodo, sometimes.

You know, dragging something heavy through the deserted church while the bells clang and shake the building.

But I still have to get whatever it is to wherever it is I am going.

Barbara