He's the one!

P

PatriotsGirl

Congratulations!!! The South is great!! Instead of people being rude to your face, they give you that "Soutehrn hospitality" and then spit daggers at your back...lol. J/K...well, maybe not. But the weather is fantastic!!! :)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
:choir:

WOOOOOHOOOOO!!!!!!

Go get em, girl! And Way To Go husband!!!

FWIW... The South has some quirks, but pretty much you will be JUST FINE.

The only things I can say that take getting used to are a couple of food items: Greens and grits.

Greens can be anything from collard to mustard, and are best with butter. (in my opinion)
Grits - pronounced, from my past, GRI-YUTS, have more than butter and salt in them... They can have bacon, mushrooms, cheese... Anything...

witzend

Well, I already love greens. I've never had grits. I love nice weather!

I'm worried about transitioning houses. husband has two weeks of work left, then one week before he has to be there. We'll use that week to pack and get our house on the market. There's no relocation money, so we'll be supporting two houses until I get ours sold. Hopefully ours will go fast so I can join him soon and just sign papers by fax and messanger.

I'm good with the hospitality thing. So long as "sweety" and "honey" work, I'm already there. We're very friendly here, and you can always tell someone who isn't from around here because when you try to make small talk with them they look at you as though you have a lot of nerve for trying to bust in on their privacy.

One thing I probably haven't mentioned is that I have been enjoying very much the last year or two is singing. I used to do it when I was younger, and I know I mentioned I had joined a choir. Since then I have been singing at some "open mike" nights fairly regularly and have always been asked to come back. I sing laid back jazz standards and early harmonic blues, so karaoke isn't really going to cut it. I have a pretty good repertoire at this point. I hope that I will find a place for that early on. That would be something I would really miss if I have to give it up.

DammitJanet

Im sure you will find something great for the singing. You are heading for a large area after all. Im pretty sure you have realized that housing is somewhat cheaper here than where you are. You should be able to find something rather quickly that is good. If not and he has go really fast before you find something, he can stay in one of those extended stay hotels that are 250 a week for the first couple of weeks until you find a home.

Oh and grits...are gr its. Step must have lived much further south than NC and SC. Unless you specifically go somewhere to get shrimp and grits or something like that, they are a breakfast food that are served with butter and perhaps cheese if you add that. They are served in place of hashbrowns most of the time.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Janet... I lived in West Texas of all places!!!

First time I had grits was actually in Houston. Cheese, butter, a little salt. Wonderful.

In fact I had grits this morning... With butter and salt...

But - they're great with other stuff. Bacon especially.

donna723

For the most part, people in the south are open and honest and friendly and I think you'll love it! But I'll let you in on a little secret ... the grits and greens are NOT mandatory. I've lived in the south the better part of my life and I've never really been that fond of either one, although I do have a neat recipe for shrimp & grits like they make in Charleston that I intend to try one of these days.

Fran

Former desparate mom
:bpotd: Excellent News. Congratulations.
I have been below the Mason/Dixon line for a long time. I haven't eaten those except to try the grits. The world is pretty homogenized except for the occasional "yankee" comment I find the people open and helpful. Suburbs are suburbs. With transplants everywhere you will find people from everywhere. The weather is definitely better. : )

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Witz, I'm delighted for you and husband! What fun to try something completely different and have the chance for a "do over." You are leaving a lot of negative behind for the opportunity of a positive future. You deserve it- enjoy every minute of the transition and change.

Hugs,
Suz

witzend

Thanks, all. Got my Colonoscopy over with today - all clear - and husband is busy packing. Woo hoo! We certainly are open to any and all ideas about long distance moves. PM me if you have ideas, husband has a hundred questions, and I do too. I'm going to make a list and I'm sure there are dozens more that we haven't even thought of.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Please feel free to e mail me with questions. Moving out of state should be my middle name.

DDD

LOL, I wouldn't worry about grits, greens and cornbread too much. In urban areas you are more likely to have French dining, Tex Mex and international choices. Chances are you'll have to seek out a place that serves Southern cooking. DDD:bigsmile:

DammitJanet

True DDD but the little local family diners are great. Now one thing I will tell you is that seafood is different here. Your salmon is going to be an expensive thing of the past. Most seafood here is cooked Calabash Style which is a very light breading. Very very light breading. Of course you can buy salmon but it is fairly expensive. Local seafood is always cheaper.

busywend

Haha, Fran! I am sure you do have lots of suggestions to make things smoother.

SOOOOOOO flippin' excited for you and husband! What awesome news! You sound like a kid getting excited to start college or something. Very cool!

The only difference I notice in the South when visiting is.....things move very slow...not like in NY. But, that would be a nice change to life...slowing down would be a good thing!

CONGRATS!!